Thread: Thinking of getting a Pava Satin A-5 but....

Default Thinking of getting a Pava Satin A-5 but....

I already own a Collings MT, so I'm wondering if there's enough difference between the two to satisfy my MAS. Of the threads I've read here there seems to be nothing bad about the Pava. I've been playing bass guitar since age 13. I'm 53 now and have been playing in a praise band in a large church in metro Atlanta since 1998. I'm still pretty new to mandolin but I've always been one to get a good instrument at the start. It seems to make me practice more when I have a quality instrument. When I get better on mandolin my plan is to add it to some of our worship songs, so I doubt if I will ever play any bluegrass with a group. What's your thoughts on the difference between the two?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Pava Satin A-5 but....

I enjoyed owning both at the same time. Kept the Pava but wouldn't mind the Collings back.
    The Collings MT had an overall brighter sound than the Pava. The Collings neck ever slightly more V.
    The Pava has a more pronounced mid response so it seemed a little richer or darker - how ever you describe that difference.

IMO the Collings and the Pava are equally capable with subtle differences. If your main goal is looking to cure MAS from a Collings MT you might want to aim higher, skip the satin Pava side step, and shoot for varnish finish, bound neck and back, better hardware, and a tone that hits the highlights from both the Collings and Pava
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Feb-16-2017 at 10:29pm.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

They are entirely different instruments. Collings is wonder in perfection of build, the Pava a wonder in richness and complexity of sound. At this level, (entry pro level), it is worth whatever hassle to get yourself to a place where you can try both and compare. No question that both provide excellent quality and value - the decision is purely a matter of taste.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renoyd For This Useful Post:

I agree - the Pava and Collings are vastly different in their tone and feel. They are in the same ballpark for quality and price, I guess, but their sound profiles are just so different that they will appeal to different people. I personally find the Collings tone too bright and clean, while the Pava tone is much more complex. I played several Collings side-by-side with Pava, and ended up with the Pava.

The only real way to know whether you'll like the Pava more than what you already have is to play one and compare to your Collings.

7. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

for a real course correction, get an oval hole Gibson!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5bassman View Post
    I already own a Collings MT, so I'm wondering if there's enough difference between the two to satisfy my MAS.
    The sound difference is real. I will say the blonde '15 Pava I had sounded more like the Collings then the '14 Pava I kept. I was thinking the OP was looking to the Pava to cure MAS after owning a Collings MT.

While they sound different, I was thinking that trading one for the other might not cure any upgrade itch. In my case I was looking for higher level build(fully bound, hardware and varnish) with a tone that combines the strong mids(pava) and the singing highs(collings) and overall more volume. I think in the Kelley I found most of that and in the last mandolin I found all of it(that I can afford)

If you just want a 'sweeter' tone and comparable build to Collings MT - the Pava can do that.

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

As has been mentioned, the tone of each is distinctly different. I found the MT a bit bright for my taste and went with an MTO. While I don't have a Pava, I am an Ellis fan and they really are tonal cousins. I find that the Ellis/Pava family sit nicely as a counterpart to the Collins. Where I to have to choose between a Pava and a Collins's I would go Pava. Fortunately, I can have one of each tonal family and will keep both.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

12. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Thanks all. As I mentioned I have the Collings MT and plan on keeping it but adding the Pava to the stable next to the MT. Sounds like the the concensus says there IS enough difference in the two to justify both at the same time.

You really didn't expect to be told don't do it did you? I've played both, but not side by side. There have been hearing studies indicating just how short our auditory memories are. That is why I'm going to try to make a trip to the Mandolin Store when I go down to spring training next month. I concur with the consensus characterizations above. Two flavors of good. I would try to go to a gloss Pava with binding though. I'm very good at spending other people's money.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Thanks all. As I mentioned I have the Collings MT and plan on keeping it but adding the Pava to the stable next to the MT. Sounds like the the concensus says there IS enough difference in the two to justify both at the same time.
    I owned a Pava for over two years alongside an MT that I had for nearly three. I preferred the Pava of the two tonally, due to its darker complexity, although it wasn't quite as loud. It would probably do better for solo work and small ensembles. The Collings I favored for its playability, as it had a narrow V-shaped neck, but its voice was a bit bright. It was therefore the better option for larger jams. Of the two, I would take the Collings, but you'll only learn what works for you by playing them for an extended period. As for me, I sold both when I discovered a Passernig A5 that combined the best features of each.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I owned a Pava for over two years alongside an MT that I had for nearly three. I preferred the Pava of the two tonally, due to its darker complexity, although it wasn't quite as loud. It would probably do better for solo work and small ensembles. The Collings I favored for its playability, as it had a narrow V-shaped neck, but its voice was a bit bright. It was therefore the better option for larger jams. Of the two, I would take the Collings, but you'll only learn what works for you by playing them for an extended period.
    +1

I also like the one piece back of the Pava. They are usually not full figured but for reasons unknown I like them over the always perfect 2 piece backs Collings uses. The blonde satin is the best satin model for looks imo.

18. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

So Mark, how different are the Pava and the Ellis? Is the Ellis worth the $$$ difference? Inquiring minds want to know..........
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

Good question and um 'yes'. prolly best for another thread tho.

Never played a Collings but my Pava is never leaving - It will get sold after I die. I do NOT regret what I spent for it - a total joy to play.

22. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    +1

I also like the one piece back of the Pava. They are usually not full figured but for reasons unknown I like them over the always perfect 2 piece backs Collings uses. The blonde satin is the best satin model for looks imo.
    I've read that about one in fifty Collings MT's have the one piece back and I was fortunate to get a stunning one piece back with the black top. I'm still in awe of the build quality of this Collings and the nice tone and resonance it has. The Pava A5 I'm looking at is a brand new blond Satin. I think they would look good together!

Ah! Ebony & Ivory.

25. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm still in awe of the build quality of this Collings and the nice tone and resonance it has. The Pava A5 I'm looking at is a brand new blond Satin. I think they would look good together!
    No doubt! Make sure you're wearing socks

To the OP: With proper respect for all opinions ......... but, I don't purchase mandolins without playing it first or having a right of refusal period. I trust my own "likes/dislikes" as I sample something. You alone will know what you favor in tone, playability and construction quality.

I will admit to having ordered two mandolins built for me. A Dudenbostel and a Duff. Winners both.
    ..... f5joe