Thread: LR Baggs Radius Mandolin Pickup

Default LR Baggs Radius Mandolin Pickup

I'm looking for a non-permenant pickup for my tenor guitars and I think the LR Baggs radius might be the ticket. Does anyone know how wide the clamp for the output jack can open? The tenors are a bit thicker than a mandolin.

Default Re: LR Baggs Radius Mandolin Pickup

An inline jack (or Plug) on the end of a short cord, secured to your strap or end button, will function perfectly..

Carpenter clamp on jack fittings use a Viola chin rest clamp for their hardware..

{FWIW, Gibby style mandolins are about 46.5mm thick}

(I have had a Schertler stick on pickup for years.. their inline jack is XLR,

Rather than 1/4" but the Idea is similar.

might want a Plug, on a long cord, to go next to the Baggs Pre-Amp..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You can widen the opening of a carpenter jack (or arm rest) a couple ways. One is to buy longer turnbuckle pieces (called barrels). Here is a link to chrome or gold color.

A couple years back I transferred an arm rest onto my 3-1/2" deep mandocello, so I had to make my own upper rods with 1/8" brass stock and a 6-40 UNF die. This was originally a Steve Bell arm rest fitted with very long (~2-1/2" long) barrels. You could do the same for fitting a Carpenter jack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220172109.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	154144

I've used this for a couple years on my mandolin and use the carpenter jack. Downside is I've had to have in soddered(spelling?) 3 times in 4 years. They give way too much wire and it likes to twist.

You can also buy a tapastring jack and it fits where your endpin is, doesn't have to be drilled. Then you can mount a permanent pickup inside. Only down side is a special cord, I carry a spare and have used this for many years.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!