Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just my opinion of Eastman 305 vs 505

Default Just my opinion of Eastman 305 vs 505

Hi all,

First let me say that like most people I think Eastmans are generally good mandolins, especially at their price.

I've owned two Eastman 305 mandolins. The first I bought new on a whim from the local store, it being the first one I actually got to play. I intended it for a travel mando but in the end I didn't absolutely love the sound--it seemed a bit tinny, for lack of a better word--and sold it.

Then I had a chance to buy a used one at a very good price and took it. Kept that for a while, again liked its playability but found it a bit tinny. (Could that be the cheaper hardware? That might contribute anyway.)

In the meantime, I found myself playing a 505 at our local store whenever I went in. Store acoustics can be different but I thought it sounded quite a bit better--a fuller tone. I also admired how it looked and decided the 505 was probably my favourite Eastman, more so than the F models. Then just this last couple of weeks I came upon a used 505 in as-new condition at a really good price. So I bought it. And my thoughts were confirmed. It's to my ears much better sounding than both 305s, a better chop, more clarity, a bigger sound. Also, it's very handsome, with a flamey back and some bear claw in the top. I like the classic finish more than I thought I would. Weren't they a bit red before? This one is a lovely brown, lighter in the centre.

I know others have said they think the 300 series are the best sounding Eastmans and no doubt they are good for the price. But I just thought I'd put in my two cents. I like the 505 much better.

Not even sure if I'll keep it. I'd like to but it's a bit of an extra for me (I have a luthier-made F5). But I know that I'd like to.
    Cary Fagan

Default Re: Just my opinion of Eastman 305 vs 505

Interesting read, thanks for sharing your comparisons. Being an owner of a 504 myself I've been generally curious about the 304/305 especially when reading opinions on the forum. I've noticed the general consensus here has been more in favour of the 305/304 in terms of sound.

I'd love to be able to compare the two in real life one day as you have done. It's hard to get Eastmans here in the U.K. and when I got my 504 I had to buy 'blind' (I did not drive at the time and closest dealer is a long way away). Sounds so beautiful though, I get compliments on it whenever someone hears me play.

The main aspect of the 504/505 that appealed to me was the better hardware compared to the 304/305. I'd already started playing on a cheap instrument with annoying tuners, so I wanted something that was a decent step up when I chose the 504.

Nice you got a more brownish one, I'd love to see a picture. Mine is the red, which is fine, but I bet the brown is very pretty.

Here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	707.7 KB 
ID:	153976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0028.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	732.5 KB 
ID:	153977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0032.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	890.9 KB 
ID:	153978
    Cary Fagan

4. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

I'd never been around Eastmans until last week when I found a new 415 at what seemed to be a decent buy. I couldn't be happier with the sound, especially for the price.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Wow what a gorgeous front and back! Love the colour, thanks for sharing!

Great post, Cary! I concur on the addition of the better hardware and classic finish. I went back and forth with the MD315 and MD515, and had the same experience. I personally felt the 315 was a little tinny and I was super afraid to dent the heck out of it. I love the tone, chop and clarity of my 515.

As for color, mine has a redish color in some lights and more of a brownish in others.

Thanks for the post!
    Eastman MD515

I had a 505 as my first mandolin. It was very well made, but I felt it lacked richness in the G strings after I played far more expensive instruments. I have found 305s and 315s to sound just as good, but the 505 felt and looked far better, so is the choice to me for a longer term instrument you can be proud to own.

My Silverangel solved the G string issue big time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

9. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Enjoying the replies! Br1ck, I think the G string on this one could also have just a bit more oomph. But the mandolin is so unplayed it still hasn't opened up and I suspect it will change over the next months.
    Cary Fagan

Cary, what is the mandolin in your avatar?
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Jeff, it's a really nice oval hole made by a man named John Gillies in Quebec about 30 years ago. It's the one I mostly use when I go to old time jams a couple of times a month. I haven't had it long. (I think you replied to my post on it.)

You can see more here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...made-oval-hole

The F5 I play is a Passernig, #36, ten years old next month.
    Cary Fagan

I have played many Eastman mandolins in a few shops that I frequent. I think the 500 series to be the best buy in their lineup. The upgraded hardware alone is worth the and price over the 300 series. I own an MD-505 that I bought used and I quite like it. Most of the Eastmans I have played have a nice woody low end, but are also tinny as suggested above. I've found that changing the E strings to .0115 gauge helps them ring out a bit more, without compromising playability, though they do not have the sustain of some other mandolins that I have played. They certainly are not in the same class as Collings, etc, but for $500-$1000 I think they are superb!

Lots of potential, especially in fattening the bottom end and sweetening the top end on Eastman. Until setup equivalently hard to tell much about equivalence.
    Stephen Perry

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Perry For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

+1 to Mr. Perry: setup, strings, pick, technique...you know the drill...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

17. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I've owned a Kentucky KM900 and my current Eastman MD404. I love the tone, finish, and feel of the Eastman much better than the KM900. (I play Jazz and Blues)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Lots of potential, especially in fattening the bottom end and sweetening the top end on Eastman. Until setup equivalently hard to tell much about equivalence.
    Stephen, I have a MD404 (mahogany back/sides body) that I'm saving for a full mandovoodoo works on as I love the tone of this model.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

That's interesting, Joey. I've not had the opportunity to play a KM900. I've played a couple of 505s and they were decent but I also liked Eastman's better.
    Cary Fagan

20. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    That's interesting, Joey. I've not had the opportunity to play a KM900. I've played a couple of 505s and they were decent but I also liked Eastman's better.
    The KM900 played and sounded very well, but it's geared towards bluegrass mainly and sounded thin compared to the MD404 which is an oval-hole.. so that may be why I like the MD404 so much more.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Right, of course. Apples and oranges really. I like F hole and oval mandolins both but they are different animals.
    Cary Fagan

23. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

I'm always a tad shy about generalizing to whole brands or product lines of instruments, based on three or four individuals that I've had the chance to play. Is every 505 better than any 305? I've heard so much variation in the sounds of "identical" instruments over the years. And of course there's the difference in strings, picks, "broken in" vs. "just out of the box," etc., etc.

The higher Eastman lines do have better hardware, more figured woods, more ornamentation. No doubt about it. There's been a pretty consistent Cafe opinion that their '300' series are outstanding in terms of value for the money. If you're going to pay the significantly higher price of a '500' mandolin, it had better have greater value in one dimension, or another -- looks, sound, resale value, whatever.

The four Eastman instruments I own are either '600,' '800,' or one of the "Dawg" DGM's. I don't own a '300' series mandolin, but of the ones I've played, both regular and 'B' stock, I've felt that they were bargains. And I did turn down an 815 mandola in favor of a 615, based solely on my sound preferences; not that it was necessarily "better," just that I liked it more.

As I said, if you're going to pay more for a higher-end Eastman, you should prefer it; otherwise, buy the lesser and save the money.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I played a 305 against the 505 for 45 minutes before deciding on the 505. In terms of sound and playability, pretty much the same. Chose 505 because I like gloss and some vibrant flame at least in neck-- the 505 finish looks very good -- and the hardwear is better. The 305 is a really nice starter mandolin that even a professional could play and sound good. Some with more money, will likely need to spend hundreds more to get something really better.

If you can only get the 305 now, I'd do it. You'll enjoy it even if you want something better that is months or more away from consideration. If you can afford substantially more than the 505 and are willing to pay, look for something else. But don't write-off the 505.

There's really no such thing as my only, and last, mandolin unless you quit playing.

I had a 815. Nice mandolin. They are good instruments for learning, great playability. But not quite good sound. I sold it to buy a F5-G.
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

28. The following members say thank you to roberto for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    Here you go.

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	707.7 KB 
ID:	153976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0028.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	732.5 KB 
ID:	153977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0032.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	890.9 KB 
ID:	153978
    Wouldn't it be great if looks were just everything?
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

30. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

As I said in my original post, Allen, the 305s are "good for the price." No doubt about it and I wish they'd been around fifteen years ago. But because some people say they prefer the 300 to the higher number Eastmans (and we all have different ears), I thought I'd offer my opinion. That opinion--which, again, is just my own--is based on owning two 305 mandos and also playing several others in stores, playing several 505s, including just the other day playing a 315 next to a 505 at my local store. A pretty good sampling, I think. I always carry a pick with me so use the same one on each mandolin, and they've all had the strings Eastman puts on them. None of them had any set-up problems--bridge perfectly touching the top, nut and action fine.

By the way, I'm not speaking of the series above 500. Presumably they sound the same (except for the varnished ones).
    Cary Fagan

32. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Wouldn't it be great if looks were just everything?
    NO! I would be single! haha

Eastman's are in the midst of rapid small refinements. These are all very subtle and you wouldn't necessarily notice if you were not seeing instruments from every new batch. For instance, the finish on the 300 and 500 series have both been changing over the past year. This past couple months has saw nicer flaming on the 300 and 500 series, slightly better workmanship (which was already good), and the tone is improving. I guess the point being, you can get some of these made a month apart and they will not be the same.

I am trying to get around to taking new pics of all the instruments (as many do look different now).
    This is from the latest 304 mandolins I received a few days ago:

They look much nicer than they did last year.

Name:	Eastman-304-Mandolin-Oval-Hole-main.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	154005

Name:	Eastman-304-Mandolin-Oval-Hole-30.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	154006
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

+ There are variations in sound of the production run, of same finish , model, of their Mandolins .

Wood is variable.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

There are variations period. I have two clients at the moment with lemon cars. One model had lots of problems over all, but my guy has a different mix. The manufacturer was supposed to send a top-end investigator to look at it yesterday. One of those big automobile makers. The other the cars are fine overall, just this particular one is possessed.

While technically fungible, instruments all vary. All.
    Stephen Perry

37. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post: