Thread: Looking for an electric amp for my four-string Kentucky

Default Looking for an electric amp for my four-string Kentucky

I'm looking for a small amp with some effects, but decent sound. Don't have a lot to spend but don't need 100 watts or vintage tubes. I've heard some folks recommend a smaller eight-inch speaker for the higher-ranged emando. I had a Valvetronic, which I got rid of because I didn't like the way it sounded (noisy). I also used one of those tiny Cube amps,but I think I need something more than that. What does everyone use, and what do you recommend. I don't have a ton of money for this.

Thanks.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for an electric amp for my four-string Kentucky

Katana 50 Watt. They are really a special little amp. Great effects & great amp emulations.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I got a Roland AC-60, years ago, only complaint its power supply transformer adds Lots
    of heft..

channel 1) piezo / magnetic input switch,.. channel 2) duplex 1/4" TRS/XLR input,
    Mic pre and phantom power switch.
    Solid state.

Had a Fender Vibro champ, but it did not travel well, expect the tube socket age was a fault,
    some times it worked, sometimes DNF.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I am a newby in this arena, but I really like what I have acquired:

Fender Mustang 1 - 20 watt modeling amp
    VOX AC4TV mini - 4 watt tube amp
    Orange Crush 12 - 12 watt solid state amp

They are entirely appropriate for indoors. Outside busking or playing an outdoor contra dance, you will need 120V AC. I play them mostly indoors so I don't need the kind of portability a battery powered amp would give you.

I would like to say I bought each for specific advantages they provide, but that would be not entirely true. The first one was bought after a lot of shopping and advice from folks, including my electric guitar brother. The second and later the third, are extremely useful, but were purchased at ridiculously low sale prices I had trouble resisting.

It is outrageous how quickly I got amplifier acquisition syndrome.

For learning and flexibility, the Fender is great. I use the VOX or the Orange with the pedals I figured out I like.

They are all good at living room volumes, and intimate venues. They are all pretty light and easy to carry. I used the VOX outside at a party, and it worked well because we were under a pavilion roof.

For a concert on a stage, I would bow to the more experienced electric players.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I also have a Roland AC-60 which is one of the best amps I’ve ever used, and a Fender Blues Junior which is worth checking out for solid body electrics. Both of these will show up used in the $200-300 range.

I have a Roland 30W Cube that's durable, functional, and has a bunch of modeling/effects options. It doesn't have the tone of a vintage tube amp, but it's pretty good and easy to use. I'll also occasionally play though a 50 watt Ampeg Bass amp depending on the setting and what I'm playing. Getting the EQ right on both is key.

Vox's 5 or 10 watt tube amps sound good and are inexpensive, but offer no effects, so you have to pedal up.

I also own a Fender Mini-Mustang that's a great little practice amp. Also has a line out for phones and to plug in for home recording. Got it for < 100 bucks, and totally worth it. It would be OK to use at church in the fellowship hall if I mic'd it, but that's about as big as it would go (and that's pushing it, but it's cheap, reliable, and gives you modeling/effects options).

Good luck, electronics are a Pandora's Box as bad or worse that the instruments themselves
    Chuck

If you can find a Vox DA5, it is a great amp. It's a modeling amp that does many different amp models, and has a range of effects built in as well. I play all my instruments through it and really enjoy it.
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Roland cube 30 here - lovely sounding amp, fine for small venue gigs, and cost me £30 used.