Thread: 21" vs 23" scale

Default 21" vs 23" scale

I know there are some fractions after those numbers, but has anyone played both? Own both? I have an Ibanez tenor at 22.8"/580mm scale and I'm curious about the Kala GTR at 21.5"/546mm scale since I play a lot of violin/fiddle tunes and the first five frets can be a bit of a stretch.

Default Re: 21" vs 23" scale

I have owned both the Gold Tone and the Blueridge 23" scale as well as the Kala 21.4" scale. All good instruments. I just picked up the Pono UL4-20 with the 21.4" scale. Of all of these I like the size 5 Pono UL4-20 the best. The Kala would be my second choice and a great value. Some would argue that GDAE might sound better from a larger bodied instrument, but I would argue that a well crafted size 5 would hold its own in volume, projection and Tone. After all the Martin size 5 Terz guitars where tuned G to G and sound great. The Pono is at that level. It is a very good instrument and one day 40 years from now it will be perhaps as collectable. The better made, shorter scale guitars give nothing up and are so much fun to play.

I have a Harmony Monterey and a modified Epiphone Wildkat.

Harmony is 23" and the Wildkat works out to 21". I much prefer a 21" as it's much easier to finger many of the chords. 23" for a 5th tuned instrument leads to some real stretches.

I had a chance to swap the Harmony for a Kala in my quest for a shorter scale. I found the Kala, next to the Harmony, felt like a cheap over-sized Uke and was very happy to go home with my Harmony.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I'm glad you mentioned that about the Kala. I was looking at it online but nobody sells it in the store

Verne, I used to have a Wildkat. How does yours work out to 21"? The specs say 24-3/4", and I remember it feeling like a normal guitar scale, back when I was playing guitar. Do you mean you're capo'ing?

The F & F weren't great on mine, but I loved how it felt with that smaller body. Weighed a ton though!

I agree about the stretches on a 23" scale. I often capo my Harmony too.

I use the 4 inside strings [don't use the E's] and capo at the 2nd fret. That works out to 21" CGDA.

It's a great guitar. I took it off the wall in a Guitar Center and it was spot-on - first time that has ever happened. I had to muck with the electronics, and it is a bit on the heavy side, but it's a fabulous instrument.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have a 21" Stewart and a 23" Kay Kraft both CGDA. I like them both but the Stewart gets a lot more play time as I can play single note parts fairly well on it (but even then, half steps across strings are tough, so I can't entirely forget about fingering when playing). The Kay on the other hand is fun and leads me to some different places but it ends up being more about finding parts that work on that instrument instead of playing whatever comes to mind. (I have no complaints about the sound, and it is noticeably more percussive and banjo like than the Stewart.) I would not want to be trying to solo on it in front of other people.

Hi, it seems I qualify to answer this question...
    The difference may be as much to do with the varying natures or personalities of the guitars themselves- build, tone woods etc (I am not a builder) - as well as the scale length. I own an Osark (21") and a Blueridge BR40 (23"), and although I have them both tuned to CGDA with D'Addario J66 strings, they are decidedly different creatures.
    The Osark has a sweetness and quality of tone that delights each time I return to it, but it is a more delicate beast. better for finger picking rather than strong strumming, beautifully light in the hand,with maple bindings and a satin matt finish that makes you want to stroke it.
    The BR40 is more of a workhorse, physically robust - good to fingerpick, yet fine for heavier strumming. It has a clear bright tone, but I wouldn't call it subtle - it's much more in your face.It has a gloss finish and a deeper neck profile that feels quite different. I don't play melodies, but as mentioned elsewhere, it would be more of a stretch. It has two more free frets than the Osark, which also gives you a bit more access up the fretboard. I don't think the fretboard widens out as much as the shorter Osark though.

I like both, and although I have tried to sell the Osark, I am actually glad that I still have it. So that I don't feel too cluttered, I now keep one in the living room and one in the cellar (the cellar being a living area, not a dark hole!) For me it's more like having two different children rather than merely a technical question.
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

9. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post:

fox 

I have a Kala and a Blueridge and tried to describe the difference here
    :http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Tenor-Guiitar