Thread: Mike Marshall's Sonata and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin

Default Mike Marshall's Sonata and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin

So just bought this from Elderly. Maybe I was overconfident. I've been playing almost 2 years and can pickup a fiddle tune in a couple of weeks. I've worked Cello Suite 1 prelude to the point that sometimes it is musical. But ...

Opened the book page 1 Sonata 1 Gm Fuga Allegro. 2 days and I can sorta string together the first 2 measures. at this pace I anticipate about a 6 months per song.

Default Re: Mike Marshall's Sonata and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin

I wish there was a downloadable notation-only version just so I could see what fingering he uses. I've learned a few, and I know how I'd finger 'em on a violin, but I've tried to "mandolize" (folkify) 'em, and I'm curious how far he went (if at all) with that concept.

so he gives you the tab but no fingering hints beyond that. Leaving me to wonder am I the only person who fingers a 1st fret 5th fret double stop with index and pinky

No fingering at all? To me, that's the most important part of a mandolin transcription of a violin piece -- otherwise (unless you need the tab), why not just buy the normal violin version?

And no, Kevin, you wouldn't be the only person to use that fingering -- I'd certainly do it, especially if it made what came before or what followed easier.

I have already pointed out several times here that this book is a disappointment, especially because it is called a "method".
    A "method" without a work of explanation, or fingering, is not a method.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed with the book. First, I don't like that a number of the pieces are only segments of the whole composition. I would have liked to work on a selection & walked away with a complete piece.
    Secondly, no fingerings, suggestions, or instructions at all I agree with, Manfred, is not a method. It does have tab, but I read standard notation, so I don't refer to the tab much.
    I would have preferred fewer compositions, but all complete. Then, before each piece, some explanation of the various pieces. Such as, what is a Sarabanda, Corrente, Bouree etc... What tempo are they to be played.
    Fingerings, yes, but pick strokes also. Before each piece, isolate a couple of possible troublesome passages and provide suggestions and exercises in preparation.

Joe B

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Guess I should have looked here for a review before buying. I also read standard notation so tab doesn't help much. I really wanted fingerings.