Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best wife in the world?

Default Who has the best wife in the world?

This guy. (Thumbs pointing toward me).

Yesterday, after the funeral for a friend's mother, a couple of pickin buddies and I stopped by The Chapman's Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO, to look at and pick on a few of their new and vintage instruments.

Shortly after we got there, I could hear someone picking some neat jazz stuff on an acoustic mandolin. No big surprise as they always have some nice mandolins there.

I walked into the humidor room, the heavens opened up and a light shined down upon a new Eastman F style with A GOLD TOP. I asked another guy in the room if that was the mandolin I could hear being played earlier. He said it was, and we agreed that it sounded really good.

I spent the better part of the next hour playing the little beauty. Never really being too interested in Eastman stuff previously, being pretty well mandolined, I was really surprised at the sound and playability of the mandolin.

Finally, I had to ask how much it was. Surprised again, I found out it was a lot less than I thought it would be. I of course tried to negotiate a lower number and although we got close, was unable to make a deal.

When I got back home, I told my wife about the funeral service, and about stopping by the store and of course, the mandolin. I guess I must have had the bluebirds flying around my head (ala Uncle Remus) as I told her about it. Then I changed the subject and spent the rest of the evening at my son's high school basketball game.

Spent the day working, like any normal Tuesday. Upon getting home, my wife said she thought there was a mouse in the corner behind my chair, I went to looked and saw a new mandolin case where the alleged rodent was said to have been seen.

She, after conspiring with a good friend of mine, went to town today and came back with the mandolin to surprise me. Mission accomplished.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can remember how.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Who has the best wife in the world?

She is a keeper. You know Valentines is next Tuesday, dinner and some flowers should work.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

After that? Dinner, flowers and a new car.

Default Who has the best wife in the world?

This guy. (Thumbs pointing toward me).

Yesterday, after the funeral for a friend's mother, a couple of pickin buddies and I stopped by The Chapman's Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO, to look at and pick on a few of their new and vintage instruments.

Shortly after we got there, I could hear someone picking some neat jazz stuff on an acoustic mandolin. No big surprise as they always have some nice mandolins there.

I walked into the humidor room, the heavens opened up and a light shined down upon a new Eastman F style with A GOLD TOP. I asked another guy in the room if that was the mandolin I could hear being played earlier. He said it was, and we agreed that it sounded really good.

I spent the better part of the next hour playing the little beauty. Never really being too interested in Eastman stuff previously, being pretty well mandolined, I was really surprised at the sound and playability of the mandolin.

Finally, I had to ask how much it was. Surprised again, I found out it was a lot less than I thought it would be. I of course tried to negotiate a lower number and although we got close, was unable to make a deal.

When I got back home, I told my wife about the funeral service, and about stopping by the store and of course, the mandolin. I guess I must have had the bluebirds flying around my head (ala Uncle Remus) as I told her about it. Then I changed the subject and spent the rest of the evening at my son's high school basketball game.

Spent the day working, like any normal Tuesday. Upon getting home, my wife said she thought there was a mouse in the corner behind my chair, I went to looked and saw a new mandolin case where the alleged rodent was said to have been seen.

She, after conspiring with a good friend of mine, went to town today and came back with the mandolin to surprise me. Mission accomplished.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can remember how.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

Sorry everybody. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. I've reposted in General Mandolin Discussions.

That's pretty high on the list!
    I still feel like I have one of the top two (right behind you, Dave) my wife has backed me with every decision I've made, good, bad or, indifferent. She has not badgered me about any of my stupid choices! She allows me all the best things in life: food, music and, loving her! We are lucky men indeed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Valentine's Day is next week.
    You will have a hard time equaling her thoughtfulness but, you'd better try!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Fantastic story. I adore my wife and I think I'm the luckiest guy in the world, but that story is the stuff dreams are made of. Congratulations!

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

Congratulations! I can't wait to get my hands on that model myself!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

13. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Congrats on what seems to be a very special model Eastman is making right now. I love gold tops and looking forward to seeing pictures!!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

You know Valentines Day is next Tuesday, sounds like a nice dinner and some flowers are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    You know Valentines Day is next Tuesday, sounds like a nice dinner and some flowers are in order.
    Oh that's not really necessary. The mandolin is more than enough. But if she insists.....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

Oh that's not really necessary. The mandolin is more than enough. But if she insists.....

Sounds like someone is trying to get the mandolin returned to the store!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

But can she cook?

My wife bought me a Gibson F5G at a bluegrass festival, for our 25th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Peterson View Post
    My wife bought me a Gibson F5G at a bluegrass festival, for our 25th anniversary.
    Very cool. You can never trade it off, but then why would you want to.

My wife insisted that I buy a 1918 Gibson F4 for my 40th birthday. Twisted my rubber arm there... Sounds like we've all got some keepers.
    1918 Gibson F4
    2016 Northfield NF-5S
    2017 Black Guitar Bodied Octave Mandolin #42

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Mine just gave me the ok to purchase a 2-3k mandolin, but it has to wait until spring, and she just bought me a doubleneck mandolin guitar for Christmas
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    Mine just gave me the ok to purchase a 2-3k mandolin, but it has to wait until spring
    It's gonna be 60 here tomorrow, that counts as spring, right?

25. The following members say thank you to jtv for this post:

What a wonderful surprise! Thanks for sharing your experience with the new Eastman, looking forward to seeing pictures. I saw the gold top F styles in their 2017 catalog and ever since I've been very interested in what players have to say about them. They look gorgeous, and I wish they did the gold top for the A styles too (though I only got my 504 last August so I can't justify one anyway). As far as I can tell, the gold tops are only for the F style mandolins. Enjoy your new mandolin!

Edit: Oop just found your other thread, it's beautiful!

Blog Entries

I'd like to think that everyone would say they have the best wife in the world or why be with em? But my wife I owe everything, she has stayed with me in some tough times health wise on my part , Gave me a little girl almost 5 years ago when I was pretty well not long for this world anyway! Also a newborn baby boy 3 months ago. She lets me buy whatever instrument I want "If we can afford it" and about 6 years ago she bought me one of those real "manly tough guy" great sounding Japanese made Fender Pink Paisley Telecasters! Very well made and great sounding guitar, me never being one for the imports this one is for sure up to par with american teles! She knew I liked James Burton's guitar work and heard me comment on his paisley tele when we were watching Elvis's old aloha special. About a week later I sure was surprised Yep I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I'd like to think that everyone would say they have the best wife in the world or why be with em? But my wife I owe everything, she has stayed with me in some tough times health wise on my part , Gave me a little girl almost 5 years ago when I was pretty well not long for this world anyway! Also a newborn baby boy 3 months ago. She lets me buy whatever instrument I want "If we can afford it" and about 6 years ago she bought me one of those real "manly tough guy" great sounding Japanese made Fender Pink Paisley Telecasters! Very well made and great sounding guitar, me never being one for the imports this one is for sure up to par with american teles! She knew I liked James Burton's guitar work and heard me comment on his paisley tele when we were watching Elvis's old aloha special. About a week later I sure was surprised Yep I love her.
    Sounds like we're a lucky bunch of guys.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I wish it's actually going up to 70 but it comes down to the jobs that are lined up , which will give us some spare cash
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Great story. Can't top it although my wife is outstanding.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I'd like to think that everyone would say they have the best wife in the world or why be with em?
    ...Tommy Dewar quote: Never question your wife's judgement - just look who she married!
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world