Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing the right beginner mandolin

Default Re: Choosing the right beginner mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    ...Paul Prespotino from Peter Paul and Mary plays a Stradolin mandolin which is pretty darn modest!...
    Yeah, but Paul's Strad-O-Lin -- fancy two-point model, all solid, as I remember -- is a killer example of that maker's products. Paul's a big Strad-O-Lin fan and advocate; he applauded me for my $25 example, which I've since upgraded to one that actually cost $250.

I think Paul could coax good tone out of a cigar box, just the way I once heard Cathy Fink play decent clawhammer on a banjo made from a cardboard Quaker Oats box. Sometimes it's the instrument, but nearly always it's the instrumentalist.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Well I still have not received my new mandolin. I guess the weather is having an effect on the shipping. It hit Illinois yesterday. According to the last guesstimate it should get here on Thursday. In the mean time I bought a new hard case so I can give it all of the protection it deserves.
    Paul,

Sorry for the delay! After reading your post, I thought "hmm, better check on the shipments" and sure enough, almost half of them are showing weather delays. I am not sure what is going on in the east, but it has been dry and sunny here. Still see some packages shipped yesterday that didn't leave the area. I am wondering if it is related to Orville Dam:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/cal...llway-failure/

At any rate, I do apologize. Hard enough to wait for a new instrument without additional delays!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks guys, Robert no apology required. I hope all your other customers are not affected too much. I know that at this time of the year the weather can cause a lot of problems with shipping. I'm sure an extra day will not kill me. It gives me a little time to work on other projects. For example, today I made a new nut for my inexpensive Rogue. I did a set up using Rob Meldrum's instruction book. When I went to tune it the plastic nut broke. I decided to make a new one out of bone. I used a piece of one of my dogs bones (I don't think they will miss it).

I am looking forward to receiving the new Kentucky km 156. At the moment I don't even have the Rogue in working condition. The nut is all done and the bridge has been set up, but I need to work on the intonation. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow. The Kentucky should be here on Thursday (I hope).

Paul

Sorry for not giving an update on the new mandolin, but I have been very busy. So the Kentucky arrived on Thursday I allowed the package to sit for about 3 hours and acclimate to the room temperature. This was hard to do but to me necessary. The package was in excellent condition no bump or bruises. The mandolin looked great no issues what so ever. Got her tuned up and started the Journey. I have purchased a few books as well as beginner CD's. Of course, there is a ton of free stuff on the net. All I need to do now is spend the time and energy to learn. So many thanks to Robert Fear over at Folkm. for the great set up and mandolin.

Paul

Good news, Paul. I am glad it got there in good condition. Enjoy!