Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right beginner mandolin

Default Choosing the right beginner mandolin

I am relatively new to the Cafe and totally new to mandolins. I am looking for a beginner mandolin. Originally, I was leaning towards a KM 140, but after reading on this site I decided to go with a KM 150. I plan on buying from Folkmusician. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. I did notice that they have a KM 156 which seems to have the same specifications (different color) as the 150 and sells for the same price. I did look up this model on the net but really did not find very much in the line of reviews. I also noticed a few other models while a little more expensive (about $50). The models are KM 250, KM 256. So does anyone have any information on the KM 156, KM 250 and?or the KM 256. I would prefer to go with the KM 156, if it is a good model, because of the price $329.95 delivered. Regardless which mandolin I end out getting I plan on having it set up

From all that I have read people seem to like the Kentucky's as a beginner mandolin above the other brands. So what do you folks think

Thank,
    Paul

Default Re: Choosing the right beginner mandolin

I started with a used Loar LM 220, which is a nice starter mandolin. The most important thing with a beginner mandolin is a good set-up. Most dealers on this site set-up the mandolins before shipping them out (if you buy from a dealer here, read their policies.) A lot of people recommend the Kentucky, I am just letting you know good deals can be had with other instruments. Folkmusician sets up their mandolins before shipping, AFAIK.

Blog Entries

What kind of music do you like?

Are you sure you want an archtop?

Does it have to be new?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

'Folkmusician' is a well known & very reputable dealership,so i'd take their advice on 'which model' if you opt for a Kentucky mandolin,or any other make for that matter. They've nothing to gain by fobbing you off with rubbish,but a lot to loose if they did - so they won't !.
    Contact them & ask them which mandolin they'd recommend for you within your price bracket. You can be assured that if you buy from them,the mandolin will also be well set up,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I've read wonderful reviews of Robert's setups, but if you want a Kentucky KM-150 and FolkMusician is currently out of stock, then I would consider shopping at another Cafe sponsor such as The Mandolin Store or Elderly.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

There are no "beginner" mandolins per se, only good ones and bad ones and they come in all price ranges. My advice is get a good one. Kentucky makes good ones and Robert will make sure it's set up to your liking.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    What kind of music do you like?

Are you sure you want an archtop?

Does it have to be new?
    All good questions.

Let me say that my perspective is a bit off-center as I am not primarily a BG mandolin player and prefer Italian/European style instruments to archtops, but for a beginner ANY mandolin that plays in tune and has decent action is a good beginner's instrument.

It just has to work. After you learn to play a bit, then you'll be in a better position to choose a mandolin for the long haul.

Best of luck, too!

12. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I believe -- please correct me if I'm in error -- that the only differences among the various "150 series" Kentucky mandolins are in the finish; the KM-156 has a uniform brown finish rather than the sunburst KM-150. Similarly, the KM-151 has a black finish.

Robert at Folkmusician can confirm (or correct) this, and if it's true, you're getting the same mandolin in a different color. So if you are looking for a KM-150, and can accept the different finish, you'd be OK with the KM-156.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

There are only two criteria I have for an instrument for someone just starting out. In order of importance, a good setup and a solid wood instrument. Any mandolin, baring major issues, can be set up to play well. Witness all the Rogues out there making new learners happy, but I feel the sonic limitations cant help but dampen enjoyment, so I feel a solid wood instrument is going to be better in the long run.

So if you asked me what would be the best beginner mandolin, Id be confident is saying go buy a Collings, Northfield, Weber, Ellis, Gibson, etc. at the highest price point you can manage. It will really have you excited to play each and every time. It will have you playing more because you want to hold it in your hands. If you play more, you get better faster.

I realize the question generally is asked to mean what mandolin is decent to get me going, as I don't want to buy junk. To this I'd say trust in the sponsor mandolin shops who have weeded out the junk for you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks for all of the reply's. To answer a few questions I tend to like blues, country and some jazz. I have no idea what style or type mandolin I want since I really know nothing about them. I have read that it is better to go for an A style over an F because you get more for you dollar. Since I would be on the low end of the price range ( I am hoping to spend in the $325 to $350 range) so I think it best to purchase an A style.

I think the advice to contact Folkmusiscian and ask some questions is very good indeed. I plan on calling them tomorrow once they open. I also think that based on the specifications the KM 156 would be the same as the KM 150, except for color, If that is the case I kind of like the 156 more color wise anyway. At 68 years of age this may be my first and last mandolin, that is why I want something decent to start with.. Now I have looked at other makes and models such as the Loar and MK and they also look decent. As long as I can get one in my price range that is all real wood (no plywood) and hopefully not a pressed top I will be happy. I'll let you folk know what I finally end up with once I have talked to FolkM and I make the decision.

Thank again for all of the help.

Paul

Good luck Paul. Since you are old enough to already know, I won't say have fun. Check out the Newbies group here, found under "Listen/Learn" and "Social Groups." There are a few other mature people there, including yours truly.

Welcome to mandolinhood .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fASTBACK View Post
    Thanks for all of the reply's. To answer a few questions I tend to like blues, country and some jazz. I have no idea what style or type mandolin I want since I really know nothing about them. I have read that it is better to go for an A style over an F because you get more for you dollar....
    Since bluegrass is not on your list of priorities you can get even more bang, (quality for your buck), potentially, with a flat top instead of an arch top. At least it is worth looking into.

The better quality mandolin you can get (in terms of wood quality, build quality, sound, playability, etc.) the more you will be motivated to play it, and the more pleasing will be the results. You will likely need a set up, or at least to have the set up checked, regardless.

Good luck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

So I did what was suggested and talked to Robert over at Folkmusician, after discussing my options I decided on the Kentucky KM 150. Actually, it will be the KM 156, I like the more solid color its the same mandolin. Robert mentioned that the sound quality matched many $1,000 dollar mandolins. Well that sounds good to me. So thanks for all of helpful advice.

Paul

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fASTBACK For This Useful Post:

So I did what was suggested and talked to Robert over at Folkmusician, after discussing my options I decided on the Kentucky KM 150. Actually, it will be the KM 156, I like the more solid color its the same mandolin. Robert mentioned that the sound quality matched many $1,000 dollar mandolins. Well that sounds good to me. So thanks for all of helpful advice.

Paul
    Good call. Robert will take care of you.
    Have fun!

I feel you are making a good decision with the Kentucky line. I am somewhat of a beginner myself, and I pretty much came into one not knowing anything about mandolins. I personally always associated it with bluegrass, and am personally not 'that' into bluegrass, so I wondered how this new prospect would go.
    Ultimately, some of my early progressive-folk-rock musings came out of that Kentucky model, and even though I now have a more honed in direction and play music that would typically be associated with an oval-hole or a bowlback, I somehow still see that old beat-up Kentucky model as my go-to for practicing at home, and would keep it around even after its prime to serve as a reminder of my humble beginnings, hah.

Paul
    Well done, you made a good decision. You will have a mandolin that is properly set up and playable out of the box, which is a huge advantage over buying from a big box or online retailer.

I've seen others ask the same question, then go on to buy a not so great model because it caught their eye, or they simply didn't know better. Most of them will either quit because of frustration, or upgrade shortly thereafter because the limitations of their first purchase become very evident.

Enjoy your new instrument.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I was over babbling away on the other threads and almost missed this one entirely!

Guess what I just finished up!

Here is Paul's new KM-156!

It is about to be on the way out the door here in a few minutes!
    Congrats Paul. Hope you enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01328.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	153824

Name:	DSC01320.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	153825

Name:	DSC01319.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	153826

Name:	DSC01316.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	153827
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Almost wish you did not show it to me. Now I am really excited. At 68, that is doing something.

Thanks again Robert.

Paul

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fASTBACK For This Useful Post:

Very nice!! Happy 68th birthday Paul, no matter when the actual date.

Hey thanks, I turned 68 on January 30th, so yes it was ha Happy Birthday.

Paul

I have always enjoyed the solid brown top. Sunbursts and all are nice too, but I like it simple. My main mandolin is a 1919 Gibson A-2. Next is a Weber "Bighorn" (again, brown top finish). Also, I feel Kentucky makes among the best value mandolins around and the KM156 is a great starter. Who knows where you might go from there. Enjoy learning to play.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

30. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

Well I still have not received my new mandolin. I guess the weather is having an effect on the shipping. It hit Illinois yesterday. According to the last guesstimate it should get here on Thursday. In the mean time I bought a new hard case so I can give it all of the protection it deserves.

Paul

Blog Entries

Most importantly is that the instrument come well set up so it is comfortable to play and intonates correctly and holds tune.

Solid wood or laminate for a just getting started doesn't really make a real difference. You likely won't be pulling killer tone out right away anyway (also, Paul Prespotino from Peter Paul and Mary plays a Stradolin mandolin which is pretty darn modest!).

That Kentucky will come well set up and serve you excellently for years. Enjoy!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

When I first started on my mandolin journey, I wish I had consulted Mandolin Cafe, but did not as I did not do any homework. One day when I had an hour of dead time I walked into a local music store a total newb and a banjo player to top it off. Walked out with a Weber Bitterroot mahogany F. I was lucky to get a solid instrument with my lack of knowledge. I was to make a number of other stupid learning mistakes, but with the help of the Cafe, limited the damage, somewhat, at least when I listened. Now to your situation. Great call to get Cafe input and then to follow it. You picked a very solid dealer who will set you up right. Robert Fear has shown us here over the years to take care of his customers. I really like the look of that KM-156. I think you get yourself a great starter mandolin. I wish you a great start to your mandolin journey.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172