Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakehead A4 on the Cafe

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default Snakehead A4 on the Cafe

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107258#107258

Interesting instrument.....nice price and looks to be all there and in good shape. Prices for the good old stuff are still adjusting in the market or so it would seem.

ps....no financial interest in this

Blog Entries

Default Re: Snakehead A4 on the Cafe

Yup. Drool. Looks pretty nice.

I don't know about the price, haven't been studying the finances of these, but something modest of this vintage is on my Maybe Someday bucket list.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

"nice price"

Really? Do you mean nice price for the buyer or seller? I ask because I don't know, it just seems very high to me.
    Bill Snyder

Gruhn's has a snakehead A-4 a lot like this one only in really slick condition for $6500, I believe. Yeah that's a bunch of moolah, but tHe one at Gruhn's sounded awesome. I may have to get over to Morgan's and check this one out.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    "nice price"Really? Do you mean nice price for the buyer or seller? I ask because I don't know, it just seems very high to me.
    I seem to recall snakehead A4's hovering closer to $7500 typically.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Huh? $6500? $7500? OK, it's a snakehead, but that's F4 type money!

Blog Entries

http://www.retrofret.com/products.as...D=6458&CartID= $7,000
    http://www.retrofret.com/products.as...D=3735&CartID= $7,250
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...nt=20352307779 $6,750
    http://www.vintagemandolin.com/24gib..._fon11066.html $7,450

Not hard to find these for sale on the web a long way abover the $5K asking price cited above. They are not all bringing $5k and under. No way, no how. If it's a good one, $5K is a great price, but it's common to find them listed up to $7,500, and our experience is the owners are plenty willing to let them sit for a few years if necessary because someone will pay the price. The A-4 snakehead was one of the premier mandolins of its time, for good reason, and still fetch healthy prices.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    No, actually, that's the price F-4 owners think they're worth, but very few are going for that price. A few sold at the peak years ago at that price so now every F-4 owner thinks it's worth $7,500. They aren't. It's the eBay rule: a cow wandered that direction so everyone else follows. F-4s are a dime a dozen--good mandolins, but plenty of them and anyone paying $7K for one (opionion) should have their head examined. A-4 snakeheads are not real common.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

Not hard to find these for sale on the web a long way abover the $5K asking price cited above. They are not all bringing $5k and under. No way, no how. If it's a good one, $5K is a great price, but it's common to find them listed up to $7,500, and our experience is the owners are plenty willing to let them sit for a few years if necessary because someone will pay the price. The A-4 snakehead was one of the premier mandolins of its time, for good reason, and still fetch healthy prices.
    Jeff, I think you should have specified "Loar era" or "Truss rod" F4s to make the comparison more apples to apples. If anyone still insists in that case that the A4s (Snakes) are more desirable and/or more valuable than the F4s, I'll be surprised...and thrilled with the good news as I'm on the buying side of the equation.

12. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Thanks for detailing the fine points of the A4 snakehead market. I stand corrected. You also mention that owners are plenty willing to wait a few years to get their price.........this confuses me, as a businessman. There is no business that I know of that can wait years on a sale -- you quickly become "out of business" doing that. Now, if a hobbyist says I think my mandolin is worth such and such and I won't take a penny less, well that is a different story. As, my friend would say "that man isn't in business" or he doesn't "need" the money or "his wife must have a good job!"
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-05-2017 at 1:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Jeff, I think you should have specified "Loar era" or "Truss rod" F4s to make the comparison more apples to apples. If anyone still insists in that case that the A4s (Snakes) are more desirable and/or more valuable than the F4s, I'll be surprised...and thrilled with the good news as I'm on the buying side of the equation.
    Good point. I just like the looks of the F4 better, but that is a topic for another thread!

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

As Scott said: "but plenty of them and anyone paying $7K for one (opionion) should have their head examined. A-4 snakeheads are not real common."

that's the point of my posting this........A snakehead A4 in good shape at $5k is a good price......and yes folks will ask $7k or higher for an F4......it ain't gonna happen very often......now $4k to $5k.....yes.....the prices of 2007 have gone and will be a while coming back....IMO

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Hedrick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    .....yes.....the prices of 2007 have gone and will be a while coming back....
    What were A4 Snakes selling for in '07?
    I wan't paying attention... ;-)

19. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

The prices for Loar period F4's were as high as $9.6k for sure....Heck Spruce Tree Music is still asking $8.25K for a 1924 F4.....as for the A4's I remember seeing a few for $8.5k in that era.....

I have seen some very nice F4's and A4's go for a lot less than the nose bleed prices of the before the recession of 2008.

There is a real selection of just plain high prices out there for a number of mandolins that don't seem to make sense to this Hoosier boy.....

Don't you think this one looks a little beat,,more than just average player wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

After I posted my query about the price being good or not I did a quick Google search and discovered much to surprise that dealers are indeed asking much more than $5,000 for them.
    Bill Snyder

23. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Blog Entries

The Acoustic Music Company of England has one for sale in the Classifieds that converts to an eye popping U.S. $8990.84. This ad will expire soon but here is. Good luck with that price, Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Don't you think this one looks a little beat,,more than just average player wear?
    Not really....

The realistic price is solely based on what someone wi willing to eventually pay!
    Market pricing will ebb and flow as demand dictates, this one doesn't seem to outrageously priced. But, I'm not buying.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

i have a couple of great soun ding and playing snakeheads. it would be really nice to have an A 4. but i sit content for now. that one looks a little rough but not too much. A 4s are going up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    The realistic price is solely based on what someone wi willing to eventually pay!
    Market pricing will ebb and flow as demand dictates, this one doesn't seem to outrageously priced. But, I'm not buying.
    A thought on the Cafe......The Cafe represents over 48k members......a number of "visitors" that is likely over 10 times that number over any given time period.....it would seem that the Cafe might be the single most influential force in the marketplace on these prices. Many of the best and biggest stores advertise here......Ebay is always discussed here.....

Just a thought over my morning cup of tea.....being the old fart retired mandolin player that I am....

29. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    A thought on the Cafe......The Cafe represents over 48k members......a number of "visitors" that is likely over 10 times that number over any given time period.....it would seem that the Cafe might be the single most influential force in the marketplace on these prices. Many of the best and biggest stores advertise here......Ebay is always discussed here.....

Just a thought over my morning cup of tea.....being the old fart retired mandolin player that I am....
    Those are relevant thoughts. And to your comment " Many of the best and biggest stores advertise here.", I'd add that they watch what goes on here and know how to time their ads. http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107342#107342

31. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The plain A ('24) is sub $2K. The A4 ('24) is super $7K. That's a big swing for trim level.

Sure, one is more common, but for sound-to-value, the A would be my choice!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Those are relevant thoughts. And to your comment " Many of the best and biggest stores advertise here.", I'd add that they watch what goes on here and know how to time their ads. http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107342#107342
    Yeah I noticed that!!!! Now that one, to be fair, appears to be almost flawless in condition.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    The plain A ('24) is sub $2K. The A4 ('24) is super $7K. That's a big swing for trim level.

Sure, one is more common, but for sound-to-value, the A would be my choice!

f-d
    Agree with you......big price to pay for that difference