Thread: Newbie from Soddy Daisy, Tennessee!

Professional Green Horn WmBuoymaster's Avatar

Default Newbie from Soddy Daisy, Tennessee!

Just a quick introduction here.....

Picked up a starter mandolin because im missing music in my life and have always loved the sound of them....Plus my inlaws are pretty good pickers on the banjo and flattop. 46 years old and played drums most my life until a neck injury and surgery, then a lower back issue pretty much shut me down 8 years ago.

Hard to find mandolin lessons local or even 20 miles from my house so im learning online for now. I used to play alittle bluegrass guitar so im picking up on this pretty good so far.

Wife has fybromyalga and after 27 years, she lost her job to a layoff. hmmm...right? So money is TIGHT! But if I can progress and this summer and fall, come november I'll be shoppping for a 4 to 500 dolla upgrade. Hopefully some of you guys will toss me some recommendations.

Been lurking here for about 2 weeks and I like what I see. Thanks for having me!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie from Soddy Daisy, Tennessee!

Welcome and come join us at the Newbies group -- see my signature below.

You will find plenty of discussions on mandolins in your price range on the forum, but when you're ready, you can bring it up again. There are some good choices in that range. Kentucky and Eastman seem to be the two that get the most praise, but others are up there too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

It is surprising you cannot find a teacher in Chattanooga or nearby. I know a real good teacher up near Maryville who is worth the drive and also does Skype.

Oh there's a couple but lord they are expensive as all get out. I did just hear about a guy across the mountain in Dunlap that's a heck of a picker and the price is good too. Buddy of my father in law is starting lessons next week. Might be a way for me to catch a ride and take a lesson.

Welcome aboard!

When you're ready to invest in a mandolin, a lot of people here would recommend (with good reason) a Kentucky KM150, bought from a quality mandolin store, like one of the cafe sponsors. It'll be set up to within an inch of its life, it'll be comfy to play, and it'll intonate and stay in tune all the way up the neck. Which will all help with your mandolin experience, and will help you to make good progress because you're not "fighting" the instrument.

Hope this helps,

Johnny

A guy that picked banjo in my band in New Jersey a few years ago was from Soddy Daisy.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the fold. When you get ready to spend more money start with the Mandolin Café classifieds. Those folks going from hundreds to thousands dollar models often sell their good used instruments. Enjoy you musical restart. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

From everything I've read here and the few I've played, the new KM 150s rule in this price range. If you can snag a blem Eastman or Loar, that would be good too. Often you can't find the blemish.

There are a lot of online lesson resources, free and paid, but a one on one real teacher can tailor lessons for you specifically. If they don't have an organized method, walk away. I took a couple of guitar lessons once that started with asking what did I want to learn today. No plan at all. Didn't last long.

The beauty of playing is that I can't think of much that is a cheaper endeavor, especially once you have that first solid instrument. Do get Rob Meldrum's setup guide. I turned my Michael Kelly from a nightmare to a dream, tough I did do a lot of fret leveling. Learn to use the search function. It is your friend.

Regarding setup, I've found the Rosa string works YouTube channel very helpful. Lots of good info there. Welcome to the club.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. You are in for a lot more fun with the mandolin than with the drums.. Have fun.

Lord....Thank God my doghouse is a camper! I went to get a bluegrass book today and walked into mandolin heaven. They had a brand new LM 370 for $279. Thats what the red sticker had on it and the other had 399. Well...they do layaway so yall probably know what I did.

Blog Entries

Sounds like the doghouse might have room for a mandolin.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats and welcome to the fray!!! I've hear a lot of great Loar Mandolins, so I'm sure you'll be happy with that LM 370!!

I grew up in Memphis but spent 2 weeks every summer on the opposite end of TN at the GG ranch in Soddy Daisy on lake Chicamauga, (aka the Tennessee Camp for Diabetic Children) and became well acquainted with a couple of the kids in the family that owned the land. There is a special place in my heart for Soddy Daisy.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I know about that place. Good people...small world!