Thread: JBovier A5X and Collings MT A/B testing

Default JBovier A5X and Collings MT A/B testing

I recently purchased a new old stock 2011 JBovier A5X and I'm quite impressed by how easy it is to play. I'm also really liking the sound. It has a very clean and clear high end, and respectable low end woof. I also have a 2011 Collings MT, which I also really like, and I recorded some videos to listen to how they compare. I used a USB Condenser mic, with no audio effects. Both mandolins are setup as similar as possible, with D'addario EFW74 strings, Tone Gard & McClung armrest. The JBovier is X braced and the Collings is parallel Tone Bar braced. I'm interested in hearing what you think about how they compare.
    Thanks!
    Al

2011 JBovier A5X sound test

2011 Collings MT sound test

More videos to follow

2. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Default Re: JBovier A5X and Collings MT A/B testing

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

8. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Very cool comparison. While I think the Bovier sounds good, I do believe the Collings sounds better. It has a fuller and more complete tone to my ear.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Very cool comparison. While I think the Bovier sounds good, I do believe the Collings sounds better. It has a fuller and more complete tone to my ear.
    Thanks for giving a listen!
    I think the Collings has more depth and consistency across all strings. However, I'm surprised at how well the JBovier stacks up, seeing as I bought it for 1/5th what I paid for the Collings. The fit and finish of the JBovier is really far better than I expected, and the setup and ease of play is as good as the Collings. I'd really like to hear the JBoveir X braced vs the JBovier Tone Bar braced, side by side. I'm super impressed with the JBovier A5, especially at the price.

The problem for me is once my ear got educated, that small difference became an obsession, quelled only by upgrading, which is why I try not to play instruments I can't/won't afford. Ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Oh how I've wished I never picked up that 1939 J 35. LOL
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Thanks for giving a listen!
    I think the Collings has more depth and consistency across all strings. However, I'm surprised at how well the JBovier stacks up, seeing as I bought it for 1/5th what I paid for the Collings. The fit and finish of the JBovier is really far better than I expected, and the setup and ease of play is as good as the Collings. I'd really like to hear the JBoveir X braced vs the JBovier Tone Bar braced, side by side. I'm super impressed with the JBovier A5, especially at the price.
    Thanks for those, great playing! I agree, along with Kentucky 505's these seem to be low price champions, tho there may be QC issues with both brands (only talking about pre-2013 Boviers), depending on where you buy, whereas with Eastman you can be confident that there won't be majorish repairs needed (that's my experience owning 2 of each).

Can i ask what kind of mike and preamp you used? I've noticed that pairs of condensors sound much "liver", but maybe that's cheating, and of course you can postprocess (cherry pick mikes in a good room, compress, EQ, alittle reverb) to make anything sound pretty sweet
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

14. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Can i ask what kind of mike and preamp you used? I've noticed that pairs of condensors sound much "liver", but maybe that's cheating, and of course you can postprocess (cherry pick mikes in a good room, compress, EQ, alittle reverb) to make anything sound pretty sweet
    Thanks!
    This was recorded with a CAD u37 cardioid condenser mic. It is USB powered and plugs direct into a computer. No preamp. No post production, no eq. The only settings I made were to adjust the gain to 80%, where it was for all recordings.
    I have a better mic that I use for stage and studio work, but it colors the sound more, which I thought might not give as good a representation of the actual acoustic sound of the mandolins.

Al,
    Thanks for the multitude of A/Bs. I prefer the Collings sound as to me it is as others have noted fuller and to me more satisfying. As the JBovier is in a much lower price range, this comes as not real surprise. The JBovier does acquit it self well, but for me would rather pay the piper and go Collings.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

17. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Al,
    Thanks for the multitude of A/Bs. I prefer the Collings sound as to me it is as others have noted fuller and to me more satisfying. As the JBovier is in a much lower price range, this comes as not real surprise. The JBovier does acquit it self well, but for me would rather pay the piper and go Collings.
    Agreed that the Collings MT is superior in sound, and if you have $2600-$3000 to spend on a new one (or $1600-$2000 used) I say go for it! If however you're more limited in budget, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a JBovier. The feel of the instrument is quite similar. Radiused fret board, larger fret wire, etc. Ease of play is superb. And the sound is very good! I'd love to play a new model JBovier with the Tone Bar bracing and hear how it compares.
    As it turns out, I was also able to purchase a 2010 JBovier A5X, made in Korea, and I'm planning on posting some clips once I've got it setup the way I like. Probably will have time to record and post those videos around President's Day.
    If anyone in the Denver or St Louis area has a JBovier A5 Tradition or Special, and wouldn't mind, I'd love to play it sometime.
    Thanks!
    Al

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the videos. This is a good example of the difference between a low cost value instrument and a fairly priced performance instrument. The Bovier sounds quite serviceable but the tone of the Collings is, to my ear, more inspired and inspiring.

20. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

Here are some recordings of a 2010 JBovier A5X Satin also.

23. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I think the Collings is noticeably fuller and has a rounder more pleasing single notes. The Bovier sounds a bit thin in comparison. Of course, as you pointed out, it's not a fair comparison when you consider price.

I wonder how the Bovier would compare with an Eastman, Kentucky, or other well regarded mando in its price range.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I'll post some of my Eastman MD-505 when I get a chance

More sound testing.
    JBovier A5 Tradition - 2014 model
    This is a great mandolin! Super happy to have been able to pick it up. Not the prettiest wood, but very nice sound and easy to play.
    This mandolin has a more similar sound to my Collings MT. I think this might be due to the bracing. This one has parallel tone-bar bracing, like the Collings. The other 2 JBovier models above are X braced. I'm going to keep this one and the 2011 A5X. Both great to play and they sound quite different, which will give me some wider variation for the recording studio. I sold the 2010 A5X, since I really don't need 3 of these (or 2, for that matter). I'm actually thinking of selling my Eastman MD-505 as well. I'll try to post some samples of that soon too.

For those of you (like me) who are getting bored listening to the same songs over and over, here is a little Blue Midnight

Although I generally agree with the consensus, the satin Bovier A5X is very nice, really close to the Collings. If I ever want an f-hole instrument (like that's not inevitable), the Bovier would be one to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    Although I generally agree with the consensus, the satin Bovier A5X is very nice, really close to the Collings. If I ever want an f-hole instrument (like that's not inevitable), the Bovier would be one to consider.
    I thought the satin A5X was quite nice too. Just sold it to a beginner who should get a lot out of it for quite some time.

30. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post: