Thread: New tuners for my mandolin? So confused

Default New tuners for my mandolin? So confused

Hello all,

I am looking for some new better tuners for my Washburn M118SWK mandolin. I've searched over stewmac and some other places and the only tuners that have the same "vintage" look as the tuners on my mandolin now are the Golden Age tuners from stewmac. But there is a problem. I am not sure that these tuners will fit. I've tried to do some measuring with the most accurate smallest ruler I have (it goes to 64ths), but I can't seem to really nail down what I feel like I need to know. The peg holes look like they would be fine, but the screw holes seem to be different and overall length of the golden age tuners seem to be about a 1/4 inch shorter. Anybody have this mandolin and switched out the tuners? Or just have some general advice for me? Are the golden age tuners any good or would it be just as well leaving the stock tuners on the mandolin?

THanks in advance,

Dan

Default Re: New tuners for my mandolin? So confused

First of all, why do you feel the need for new tuners? Is it a tuning issue or they have a cheap feel to them. If you have a tuning issue, it is far more likely to be your nut causing it. If you just want to upgrade, I'd save for some tuners that have a better mandolin attached. Just MHO.

Heck, I have a nice Martin that I've never liked the tuners, but they do the job. Many times you will find tuners need different bushings, etc. opening up a can of worms.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have to agree that even on tuners with bad backlash if you tune up they work fine. The nut is more likely to be an issue. It may be problematic to find tuners that are a direct fit that aren't the same tuners. As long as the posts match center to center the tuners you found should work but you will want to fill the old holes and drill new ones.

Regular tuners these days, such as Golden Age, Schaller, Gotoh, Grover and Waverly, have a string post spacing of 29/32 inch, thus 23 mms. Screw holes you may need to plug and redrill.

I have put new tuners on several mandolins that were vintage and I did not want to drill new holes in the instrument. I had no problems however drilling holes in the new tuners. Many times I have drilled a new set of tuners to fit the existing holes in a mandolin. Just another option.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Nevin 

I'm not a fan of Golden Age tuners. Might be just more of the same. Best bet is to get the nut properly cut (or get e new one cut) and to lube the existing tuners.

It repeats here, often, #1 get the Pro set up done.. Nut slots are often the culprit, not the tuning hardware.

the 2_90 + year old 'A',& A4, ... old Hardware, Gibson used, still works adequately..

*physics* NB because the mandolin's scale is so much shorter than a Guitar

the out of tune is more noticeable, just because the string scale is shorter.

to grasp the difference.. look at the width of nut to fret 1 on both instruments..

In the mean time just practice the Music..

(Consider: 'a Gripe Jar,' Save that tuner money and other complaints
    about the one you are not happy with,

and in the Gripe Jar, set aside more $ to up market from the Washburn)

just a thought..
    Last edited by mandroid; Feb-02-2017 at 2:30pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'm not a fan of Golden Age tuners.
    Me neither. They are the only thing I don't absolute love about my MT. They work ok (i.e. hold tune) but just feel a bit cheap. One of these days I'd love to put on some Waverlys.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'm not a fan of Golden Age tuners. Might be just more of the same. Best bet is to get the nut properly cut (or get e new one cut) and to lube the existing tuners.
    I bought a set of Golden Age tuners for my Breedlove, and while they fit just fine and looked great, they were very stiff to turn, even before installing them. I've read about other Cafe members who have had similar issues with Golden Age.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

11. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I bought a set of Golden Age tuners for my Breedlove, and while they fit just fine and looked great, they were very stiff to turn, even before installing them. I've read about other Cafe members who have had similar issues with Golden Age.
    Same problem I have had with them. I have a Collings MT that came with Golden Age tuners and they were stiff as could be. Stew-Mac replaced them with a new set that were supposed to be better, but were not. I switched to Rubner tuners and they are excellent!
    Last edited by colorado_al; Feb-02-2017 at 3:54pm.

13. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing some more research and I think I'm going to give the tuners a good lube and see if there are any points of friction that would be causing issues. I do have another question though. I am having to replace the bridge on my mandolin because it is cracked. I think my 2 year old son stood on top of the case and it caused it to crack. With that said, I got a free replacement bridge from Washburn, but the string slots need to be cut. What are a good set of files/needle files I could use to do this. I don't really want to put a ton of money into it because this isn't my job, or really even a hobby at this point. Just something I can do myself if i take my time and research it enough. I'm pretty handy. Done some work on my own guitars. Ive seen needle files on stew mac. Are those good? Ive also seen some at harbor freight. Would those suffice? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I like nut files, but that is an investment. There are however very small round rat tail files that would do the job slower, but just fine. You can buy a set of two, a fine and courser. If you use the very point you will have a small groove, further up the file a larger one. Use small strokes to keep the size where you want it. You may have to look around, some places that sell violin tool might be a place to start.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hi I have a joyo 23b clip on tuner, i am a novice. I have lost the instructions for it can someone help. When I turn it on and go into modes I ge a u , v , and a G. Witch one do I have this on. I have a stagg Mandolin acoustic electro. Also could you tell me what numbers are that I can adjust, I think they go from 350 up to 450 something like that what should this be please to tune my Mandolin.
    Any help would be grateful.

Blog Entries

Mac22:

U=ukulele, V=violin and G=guitar. You'll want to select V because the mandolin is tuned like a violin. On the numbers, you should set it to 440. That's the note that corresponds to your "A" string (the second thinnest string).

For future reference, the "tuners" in this thread title mean the knobs that you turn to tune the instrument. They're also called tuning pegs or machine heads. Confusing for a beginner, to be sure!

18. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by danclax View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing some more research and I think I'm going to give the tuners a good lube and see if there are any points of friction that would be causing issues. I do have another question though. I am having to replace the bridge on my mandolin because it is cracked. I think my 2 year old son stood on top of the case and it caused it to crack. With that said, I got a free replacement bridge from Washburn, but the string slots need to be cut. What are a good set of files/needle files I could use to do this. I don't really want to put a ton of money into it because this isn't my job, or really even a hobby at this point. Just something I can do myself if i take my time and research it enough. I'm pretty handy. Done some work on my own guitars. Ive seen needle files on stew mac. Are those good? Ive also seen some at harbor freight. Would those suffice? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

A set of welders files would do the job. They have many different sizes and cost about $5.00. A good hardware store or welding supply store should be able to help you out.

I assume you mean the ones that unclog the holes in the tip of the Gas welding/brazing torch,
    others may not be familiar with those tools.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yes, those are the ones. Sorry about the confusion.

Lubing will make a world of difference.

Take them off , if you have an electric screwdriver or drill , there are button turners
    Guitar shop tools, to quickly install strings.

that will get the rough surfaces smooth then the lube goes on the parts,
    penetrating where it needs to go..

wipe the excess off, then put them back on..

.. kind of like the break in miles on your new car.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Use a dry graphite lube for the tuners as light oil tends to attract dust.

I put a set of Golden Age tuners on my Harmony Rocket and they worked great. It was a huge improvement over the OEM tuners. And the screw holes lined good.
    Living’ in the Mitten