Thread: Mandolin for Grandson

Default Mandolin for Grandson

Hi - my 3 year old grandson loves playing with my Mando. I am debating picking up a Rogue for him. I have seen them online for $50. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Thanks

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin for Grandson

Is he going to play it or use it like a club? My son uses the uke I bought him like a club. It was only $20

Thanks Brian. I was hoping to save a few bucks. He may reenact a Who concert

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Get him a cheap Uke. My grandson came to hear our Irish band when he was about 2 and wanted to play with us. I got him a cheapie Uke, tuned the strings very slack so as to not make much sound, and gave him a chair onstage the next year when we played the same St. Patrick's Day gig. He was in 7th heaven. Even now, at 6, he doesn't have the patience to actually learn to play the uke and definitely doesn't have the finger strength to play a mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-1.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	153602
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

+1 for the ukulele. A three year old will not have the finger strength to handle a mandolin.

Blog Entries

This comes up from time to time. The advice given is varied. If you go Rogue, be sure to then have it set up or by from a a place that does (e-bay in general just drop ships them off the container ship). The uke is a fine way to start if you will also play uke with him. As for mandolin string tension. You could always string it with light strings or even just use single instead of double courses to lower the required hand strength. Honestly, he's most likely just going to be playing with it more than playing it at first. The Rogue is a good way to go with the point above taken into consideration.

Super cheap ukes often have such crummy friction peg tuners you may as well not have bothered. You often get what you pay for.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

If you get him a uke tune it like a mandolin to prepare him for it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Get him a uke. A Mahalo Dolphin is only about $35 and is of decent quality. Tuning is of no consequence since he is years away from actually playing.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

When my kids were small I got them a uke, open tuned it so they could strum and sound musical. To chord one finger was all that was necessary. I didn't want their ears to get used to thing out of tune so the open chord worked well. I told them it was not like their plastic guitars this was real like mine and they had to take care of it. They did and years later someone else's kids were playing the ukes. Both are great musicians today.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

my own view is I will wait until the child knows the importance of taking care of an instrument first, so maybe a little older wouldn't hurt a thing.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

I guess it depends on how musical your grandkid is. My son begged us to get him a violin at age 3 and we resisted as long as we could. Just the thought of the screeching that he would make on it was enough to say no. I thought it was just a childhood want that would pass in a day, but he kept asking every day. We bought him a 1/10 size and found a Suzuki teacher that would take him. He played it every day until at 5 he started on the mandolin. We bought him a Bug Muddy MM-8 Mini-MO, that he loves and played every day. Now he's 8 and he plays violin at school, and when he comes home he plays my mandolin, octave mandolin, electric mandolin and guitar. Through playing, he has learned to take care of the instruments, and he plays almost everything I've got (except the Collings). One day when he's a better picker than I am, which might happen sooner than later, the Collings will be his.
    I would say to get them something that you wouldn't mind playing yourself, even if it is just for camping trips, which is what the Mini-MO is for us now.

12. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

If you are worried about them taking care of an instrument at an early age, only let them play when you are there, try to do it every day or even every time they want to. As long as you are there you may as well teach them something. I like children's songs that they like to sing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If you are worried about them taking care of an instrument at an early age, only let them play when you are there...
    I heartily disagree. If you are worried don't give it to them in the first place... and maybe examine your motives for giving something you don't trust them with in the first place. I am not giving my 4 year old a shotgun or a Loar. Give them something you don't care if it gets scratched, broken... or PLAYED! Just hand it over and get out of their way. So what if they ding up their $25 uke? Just don't let 'em mess with your Flatiron Artist or your Mastertone until they demonstrate some care and personal space navigation skills.

I do agree that hanging around them and helping is a good idea in limited doses, but for some kids its a great way to seem overbearing, controlling, and demanding.

Feel free to disregard my opinions as always.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If you are worried about them taking care of an instrument at an early age, only let them play when you are there, try to do it every day or even every time they want to. As long as you are there you may as well teach them something. I like children's songs that they like to sing.
    dang, pops1, you said that soooo much better than I did.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

16. The following members say thank you to dtb for this post:

pops1 

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    I heartily disagree. If you are worried don't give it to them in the first place... and maybe examine your motives for giving something you don't trust them with in the first place. I am not giving my 4 year old a shotgun or a Loar. Give them something you don't care if it gets scratched, broken... or PLAYED! Just hand it over and get out of their way. So what if they ding up their $25 uke? Just don't let 'em mess with your Flatiron Artist or your Mastertone until they demonstrate some care and personal space navigation skills.

I do agree that hanging around them and helping is a good idea in limited doses, but for some kids its a great way to seem overbearing, controlling, and demanding.

Feel free to disregard my opinions as always.
    I was talking of the uke, and I think my kids were 3 and 5 and at that age they are smarter than you think. They played with them on their own and knew these weren't toys, but real instruments. A soprano and tenor uke. I never repaired either one and they were playable and in good shape when I sold them. I think kids want to do what their parents are doing and want to be like grown up's and this was a great way to let them be grown up for the time they played the uke's, and play music like dad, then be kids again. I think it had a lot to do with them both being the wonderful musicians they are today.

Thanks all - Started looking for a Uke!!

You can get nylon mandolin strings so the uke can be strung up eadg just like you!

This Weber Sweet Pea just popped up on the classifieds. Might be a good one to go with
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107161#107161