Thread: Another String Question(s)

Default Another String Question(s)

I'm going to change strings, not only for new ones, but also would like to try a set of heavier. I'm afraid to go much heavier than J75s. I'm using J74s now. Could I go heavier than 75 without altering the nut and would they work best on my A F hole, A Oval hole or an F F hole? These are all Kentuckys.

Default Re: Another String Question(s)

Go ahead with your plan, (the J45's,) on the mandolin you play the most and pay close attention to how it sounds during the the first 1 = 2 weeks, (assuming you play daily).

Increasing string size is best done in small increments. You know what it sounds and feels like now so a one step increase will provide a whole new paradigm but not so far off for comparison. Once you have acclimated to the new strings, decide if you like it or want to go the next step heavier.

Follow this procedure with your other mandolins because they each have an individual unique voice which might call for a completely different approach. Like a different brand...

Regarding set-up, decide by how it plays! If it needs fine tuning take it to your favorite luthier.

Billy Packard
    billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

For mandolin strings, you won't find many brands that are heavier than the EJ-75s. They should not have much impact on your setup as they are not that much heavier than EJ-74s. I did find them a bit harder to handle and switched back to the 74's so they didn't work for me. YMMV

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

the E is 0.115, vs 0.110 A s a 16 instead of a 15, the wound ones don't change.

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...&productid=280

other than that make up your own set..

Mandola some start at 12 .... 48.. then trying to crank them up to the GDAE pitch can strain the mandolin..

Why do you want heavier strings, want to tune Lower?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If it's more volume you're after,rather than go heavier,why not just go 'more powerful' ?. Unless you're a fairly heavy picker anyway,heavier strings can almost be counter-productive as i found out a while back. I wanted more volume,so i went to heavier strings = i had to pick harder to get them moving. So,i went back to my old gauge,picked harder on those which was easier anyway, & got the volume i'd been after - with less effort.

Try a set of DR MD11's - they're the same gauge as J74's but a far more powerful sounding string - they last a long time as well,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My Kentucky 675-S, which I believe is a bit "overbuilt," sounds best with J75 gauged strings. I've never felt compelled to push the gauges any heavier than that. No worries regarding your setup or nut/bridge slots with that tiny change, either. (Though tiny numerically, the difference is very palpable).
    Chuck

Just strung my Dearstone A with nickel wound, which it likes, but went up. It's strung 40, 26, 16, 11.5. Didn't do it for volume I already have to back off so the banjo can be heard lol I just wanted to see if a heavier string would drive the redwood top better. It does, the mandolin has never sounded this good, not really louder but deeper, woodier, I don't know it's hard to describe sound with words, the mandolin just sounds better ymmv every instrument is different. Every string is a little heavier than D'Addario EJ67 that I had been using but I had to use electric guitar strings bought as single strings which was a little more expensive, but the biggest problem was removing those balls. A real PITA. Anyone know where one could buy these gauges in a set or even single with loop ends. I bought these from Strings and Beyond, Just Strings has some as single but not all. I hate to have to buy from two stores and pay two shipping just to get a set of strings. No one else I could find on internet helped at all.