Thread: What Has The Pick Sampler Done For You?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default What Has The Pick Sampler Done For You?

Yeah, this is a thread about another thread

Back in August of 2015, Caleb had the bright idea of starting another Traveling Pick Sampler here at the cafe, with a simple procedure, mail picks to anyone who signs up, they try the picks, add a pick or two, then send the package to the next person in line. That thread is still going strong to this day, as of this post it is 22 pages long and I lost count of how many people have taken advantage of it to date. There are now two sampler packages going around, and member Chris Daniels is keeping the logistics straight on it. One of the samplers has been overseas twice. (Anyone wishing to sign up can do so on the last page of this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...one-Interested )

Since there have been so many now who have taken advantage of receiving the sampler, I'm interested in knowing what y'all got from it if anything. Did it help you decide on the pick of your dreams? Have you found the Holy Grail of picks? Did it confuse you with too many choices? Did it change your mind on anything? Open your eyes? Frustrating or liberating?

When I tried the sampler, it changed my perspective on the importance of the little plectrum. I played guitar for many years, and was new to mandolin, and somehow I generally felt that a pick is a pick is a pick. I had figured out what I liked (from the limited choices available to me in 60's) and hadn't deviated in all those years.

I was amazed by how much difference I found between the feel and the sound of the various picks in the sampler. As a result, I acquired a number of picks that I had discovered through the sampler, and changed a life-long preference from teardrop shaped picks to large triangle shaped picks, for both mandolin and guitar. I also changed a life-long preference from medium gauge to heavy (I now prefer from 1.0 to 1.4 mm).

So, the sampler did not give me "the holy grail" of picks, but it changed my perspective, my preferences, and set me on a path of pick tasting to the point that I now own too many picks! I've already had one pick giveaway thread here to clear out some picks (and some folks I gave picks to generously sent me more picks over time than I had given away, so that I'm even more flush with choices now than ever before.)

Have you tried the pick sampler? What have you gained from it, if anything?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Calebsoliver 

Default Re: What Has The Pick Sampler Done For You?

As a beginning player, the sampler answered a lot of questions for me. A decade ago I lived within driving range of Elderly and no matter what else happened, I always came back with a bag of assorted guitar picks, but I didn't play mandolin then. I was really curious about the Blue Chip picks and sure enough, when I blind tested my favs, they won. The Primetones were a really close second for my ears and fingers and they are what I have settled on (happily) to play.

Big thanks to Caleb for not only getting the ball rolling, but more importantly, keeping the ball rolling. Another great big tip o' the hat to the Mandolin Cafe...this is a pretty special place in the world.

4. The following members say thank you to jhowell for this post:

Made me buy a Blue Chip......I was perfectly happy with the 1.3mm Primetone picks before the sampler.

6. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

The pick sampler was a great way for me to evaluate my playing and preferences. I tried dozens of picks and figured out what size / shape that's most comfortable to me. Then criteria like flexibility and edge profile really became noticable. You can find my "review" somewhere in the pick sampler thread, so I won't go into too much detail here.

I know most? of us were, or still are, guitar players - and the biggest impact a pick had on my mandolin playing was when I dropped the Fender mediums and started using thicker picks on the mandolin. Using a heavier pick that doesn't back down to the higher tension really improved the sound of my mandolin, and I that's something I'd like to share with others that haven't experimented with different picks yet.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

8. The following members say thank you to Paul Merlo for this post:

I know Im going to pi__ some people off here but bear with me. I tried both pick samplers and came away with a couple of impressions. First was FOR ME i decided the Blue Chip while nice was just not worth the money. Maybe if I was a pro... i found a good classic celluloid pick just as good. Second I decided I was happiest with my good ol' buffalo horn triangle. Most of all I was cured of my case of PAS. I am now happy right where I am.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

10. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

What has it done for me? Proven that the Mandolin Cafe is the coolest site in the world with some of the coolest people.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

You guys haven't even scratched the surface yet...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170126_151043.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	620.8 KB 
ID:	153457
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170126_151306.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	550.1 KB 
ID:	153458

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I know Im going to pi__ some people off here but bear with me. I tried both pick samplers and came away with a couple of impressions. First was FOR ME i decided the Blue Chip while nice was just not worth the money. Maybe if I was a pro... i found a good classic celluloid pick just as good. Second I decided I was happiest with my good ol' buffalo horn triangle. Most of all I was cured of my case of PAS. I am now happy right where I am.
    Why would you think that stating your personal opinion about something that is so, well, personal bother anyone? I like to have a pick stuck in the strings of every instrument I own, and another in the case. That would mean sixteen Blue Chips! I really like Blue Chips, but all but one instrument have Wegens for them. My BC goes with the Silverangel. BC picks are my favorite but I'll never have more than two or three.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

16. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Why would you think that stating your personal opinion about something that is so, well, personal bother anyone? I like to have a pick stuck in the strings of every instrument I own, and another in the case. That would mean sixteen Blue Chips! I really like Blue Chips, but all but one instrument have Wegens for them. My BC goes with the Silverangel. BC picks are my favorite but I'll never have more than two or three.
    I just wanted to start right off not rubbing Blue Chip fans the wrong way. Actually if BCs were $10 I would be first in line for one. They really are nice picks. But Im a very...err...economical person.
    We are the music makers,

18. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

When I had the sampler I made a video using seven of the picks, including both Blue Chips, and stated the same opinion about the Blue Chips, Roger. While the Blue Chips were great picks, I felt that the Wegens, Primetones, horn pick and a bloodwood pick were more interesting to me and way more economical, so I haven't gone for a Blue Chip (not yet anyway). Br1ck is right, the choice is a very personal one so I'm interested in other people's experiences but not everyone wants or needs a Blue Chip pick, and we're not all going to like the same pick.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

From Northwest Steve - "I was perfectly happy with the 1.3mm Primetone picks before the sampler.". Those are what i used to use,but try the 1.5mm thick ones & you'll be amazed at the difference,
    Ivan

A thought - Suppose the Hokey Kokey really is what it's all about ???.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Northwest Steve - [I]"

A thought - Suppose the Hokey Kokey really is what it's all about ???.
    I could be wrong but isnt it Hokey Pokey?
    We are the music makers,

22. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

jshane 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Yeah, this is a thread about another thread

Back in August of 2015, Caleb had the bright idea of starting another Traveling Pick Sampler here at the cafe, with a simple procedure, mail picks to anyone who signs up, they try the picks, add a pick or two, then send the package to the next person in line. That thread is still going strong to this day, as of this post it is 22 pages long and I lost count of how many people have taken advantage of it to date. There are now two sampler packages going around, and member Chris Daniels is keeping the logistics straight on it. One of the samplers has been overseas twice. (Anyone wishing to sign up can do so on the last page of this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...one-Interested )

Since there have been so many now who have taken advantage of receiving the sampler, I'm interested in knowing what y'all got from it if anything. Did it help you decide on the pick of your dreams? Have you found the Holy Grail of picks? Did it confuse you with too many choices? Did it change your mind on anything? Open your eyes? Frustrating or liberating?

When I tried the sampler, it changed my perspective on the importance of the little plectrum. I played guitar for many years, and was new to mandolin, and somehow I generally felt that a pick is a pick is a pick. I had figured out what I liked (from the limited choices available to me in 60's) and hadn't deviated in all those years.

I was amazed by how much difference I found between the feel and the sound of the various picks in the sampler. As a result, I acquired a number of picks that I had discovered through the sampler, and changed a life-long preference from teardrop shaped picks to large triangle shaped picks, for both mandolin and guitar. I also changed a life-long preference from medium gauge to heavy (I now prefer from 1.0 to 1.4 mm).

So, the sampler did not give me "the holy grail" of picks, but it changed my perspective, my preferences, and set me on a path of pick tasting to the point that I now own too many picks! I've already had one pick giveaway thread here to clear out some picks (and some folks I gave picks to generously sent me more picks over time than I had given away, so that I'm even more flush with choices now than ever before.)

Have you tried the pick sampler? What have you gained from it, if anything?
    Mark, as a new mandoist, it helped me identify which pick sizes felt right in my hand, and which thicknesses, shapes, and tip profiles suited my instrument and ear.

I wouldn't say it converted me,.. it provided direction and was a great experience. I now have around 15 different picks, and have learned to make my own out of horn, bone, and some plastics. It all started with the sampler and I'm very happy it exists.

Best,
    David

Ivan,
    I tried the 1.5 Primetone picks. I have actually tried almost all that the make and I like the 1.3 better. The 1.5 felt to thick/stiff and did nothing for the sound, at least for me. I do know a couple of really good players that play with picks less than 1.0 and they are very happy and don't understand the need for thick picks. One thing I noticed was that after playing the Primetone's for a while they start to grab the strings and I needed to angle the pick slightly more to stop it. I have not taken some fine sand paper and cleaned up the edges, but suspect it will help. The two things I did notice about the Blue Chip was it seems to glide off the strings better than any other pick I tried. Also with a slightly more pointed pick than the rounded Primetone's the individual notes are slightly cleaner. I am in the camp that the picks are insanely expensive. But when you get to a certain age you really do not need much or have pretty specific ideas of what you like. So an expensive pick is a much better option for a birthday or Christmas than another shirt or something that will sit in a drawer.

25. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Picks are incredibly cheap. Even the expensive ones are cheap, when you compare them to, say, a violin bow. The effect they have on sound production is extremely variable, and can be extremely profound.

I have a bunch of mandolins, and a big box of picks. Each instrument seems to have a different pick, or group of picks, that works well with it. Different manufacturer's strings preform differently depending on the pick you use.

Stock up on a wide variety, and when you find what works best for you and your respective instruments, stock up on the pick(s) that you like best. Remember that some of these will be unobtainable in future - materials change, manufacturers go out of business. It took me several years to find a backup pick for one of my mandolins, as it hadn't been made for decades.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

The Pick Sampler was a awesome experience for me,... I know picks aren't expensive, but collectively, they can be. The pick sampler allowed me to try all the more expensive ones without having to buy. I expanded my collection of picks to include Primetones, big stubbies, lavender Tortex and ultimately I got myself a Blue Chip... those were all my favorites, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to feel, see and hear the differences. I was really amazed at the differences.

This was what I produced afterwards to share my results:

aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post: