Thread: Zoom Q2n new toy

Default Zoom Q2n new toy

I lashed out and bought a mini stereo video camera/recorder.

Full information, including clips, on the Zoom Q2n is at the Zoom website here.

It's a tiny thing with a fixed wide angle lens (that can be 'zoomed in' just a little, sort of manually, probably not during filming). Even at its 'longest' setting, it would be a slight wide angle, something like a 35mm lens on an SLR.

The photo here is only to provide a sense of scale. I'll take it to my local blues bar on Friday to put it through a test in a crowded, noisy, ill-lit bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00347 edited web.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	153389

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Zoom Q2n new toy

I've had one for a few months now and love mine
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

3. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I've had one for a few months now and love mine
    Hi Darryl,

Do you have any tips on getting the most out of it? I plan to use it mostly to shoot videos of live blues music in indoor venues, most of which are badly lit.

ron

I'll be interested to see what you get. I've resisted using any of the sports cameras or for that matter, anything with a sensor smaller than the APS-C sensor common in Canon DSLRs for typical low light, indoor, bars and clubs. Even with the big sensor, I typically have to shoot with an much higher ISO than I'd like, and the results are grainier than I wish them to be. There's a playlist of my videos in my signature, (I think!)
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I haven't tried it in low light yet was going to take it to work and record a band but i haven't yet
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I've been thinking hard about getting one. I was waiting for the accessories to come out. I heard they chomp through batteries and it would be nice to have an ac adapter. I see they have just come out the wind screen and tripod adapter. And now I see you can order a separate ac adapter.

I was also wondering how useful it would be as a "usb mic". I cant get my Apogee Duet to work on my new power mac so my recording is dead in the water.
    Last edited by Astro; Jan-28-2017 at 8:36am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I'd love to see and hear some examples of recordings with this. Looks like a great tool if they got it right.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I noticed while playing around with it that the new Q2nt does seem heavy on AA batteries. I checked the specs of the AC adapter and found a smartphone accessory battery pack with the same output that uses the same mini-USB plug to send back-up power to smartphones (or cameras). The camera appears to recognise the battery pack as a power source, so we'll see if that works out OK.

rm

10. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I'd love to see and hear some examples of recordings with this. Looks like a great tool if they got it right.
    Just done a test with my Eastman 815. I love it - couldn't be easier to use.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James Rankine For This Useful Post:

2 questions

-do you have to download into computer to put on utube or can you run it straight from the zoom connected to computer into utube w/o downloading on your computer?

-Do you think the sound quality is that much better than the newer smart phones with enhanced microphones like the new LG lines?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I have been remiss about sharing the results of the one night I managed to get the new Zoom out to some live music.

This little venue allowed me to get so close to the band that the extreme wide angle came in very handy.

And another clip, even closer to the instruments (shared on another thread about video recording):

The YouTube compression softens the video quality noticeably. The original video files, at about twice the size of the processed files uploaded to YouTube, are considerably sharper. Stereo sound is surprisingly good, and easier to appreciate through headphones.

15. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Can't believe it doesn't come with a flip out screen you can use to see yourself and ensure you're in the frame

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    Can't believe it doesn't come with a flip out screen you can use to see yourself and ensure you're in the frame
    A flip-out screen might cost more than the camera costs, and double its weight. As it is, with a 160-degree field of view, if you're anywhere other than behind it, you have a pretty solid chance of being in frame

As a side note, I ready enjoyed those Django Kitties videos! Great stuff, solid!

19. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post: