Thread: Collings Birdseye/Italian A5 Comparisons: V vs lacquer

Default Collings Birdseye/Italian A5 Comparisons: V vs lacquer

I'm kind of been looking at these mandos, and that combination of woods sounds intriguing.

I haven't played either, much less compared them. Has anyone played both varnish and lacquer versions. Notable differences in addition to the usual V vs L nuances?

I see the mandos available, but not in the same store. Is the V "worth" the $1,000 more? What is the diff in these two? Appreciate any thoughts.

Default Re: Collings Birdseye/Italian A5 Comparisons: V vs lacquer

I have both lacquer and varnish versions of birdseye and italian mt2's. I also have a lacquer MF5 in the same configuration. The varnish is worth the extra $ in my opinion. I will caution you, Collings is no longer taking new orders for italian topped mandolins. I believe they have depleted their current stock of this wood, and are looking for a new source. So, if you are interested in one of either variety, I would not hesitate too long to make a decision. I have only seen a few MT2vs with italian tops. I bought a second one after a dealer told me the had halted orders on them. I really wish I could have gotten an oval hole in varnish before they stopped taking new orders.

There is a sweetness to these mandolins, and after stringing the lacquer one I have with mangan monel strings, I have to say, it sounds awesome.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Perfect, thanks. As you may know there is one V at TME, one L at Carters. Both stunning and tempting. Lucky to have you as a resource since you have both, thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Has anyone played both varnish and lacquer versions. Notable differences in addition to the usual V vs L nuances?
    To my mind, the usual V vs L nuances is where the subjectivity creeps into the discussion. Most players/listeners can't tell the difference between a thinly applied lacquer finish and equally thinly applied varnish/FP finish. This is one of those situations where you have to play them both side by side and let your ears decide. I do agree with mandobar's post above however.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I bought a Collings Birdseye/Italian MT2V from TME and totally agree with Mandobar on her assessment. I've owned MT2's (older versions), MF-5, MF5V Deluxe and a MT2V and thought that MT2V was the best sounding out of the bunch. It was a league above any Collings I had owned or heard. I unfortunately sold the MT2V and regretted it.

This year I saw the MT2V with Birdseye/Italian Spruce at TME and bought it, hoping that I got the old MT2V tone back. It didn't happen. It was better. That wood combination with the varnish hits a magic spot and is definitely worth the cost of upgrades. It has a sweet high register, even tone across, and it has a nice woody bark when you need it. If you listen to the MT2 Birdseye/Italian Spruce video at TME, it sort of sounds like that, but the varnish adds more complexity to it.

If you can find one to try out, I highly recommend it. Don't wait too long though.

The new one at TME is now on hold.

Jerry, that was mine. I miss it, but four was a bit much, even for me. Enjoy it!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."