Thread: Kenneweg Mandolin Questions

Default Kenneweg Mandolin Questions

Hi All. I am refurbishing a 1910 Kenneweg mandolin, made by F.H. Kenneweg of Rochester NY. I am seeking an info about this maker, since I can find nothing about this person on the internet. I have already fixed a crack in the top and refinished the mando. Now I'm seeking the right tailpiece to replace the lost original. Nothing I find on-line seems appropriate for this small sized instrument. Does anyone recognize this maker? Any suggestions for where I can get a custom tailpiece for this mando? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	630.2 KB 
ID:	153359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	153360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1214.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	153361  

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Kenneweg Mandolin Questions

Don't know the cost, but what's that little tailpiece that AlanN has on his Gil now? Seems like it might look good on this.

Or alternatively, a little cloud shaped TP?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

It was probably a Waverly Cloud type tailpiece. They were common for that era and used extensively. As for the builder there are no threads here with that builders name and there is nothing in the mugwumps encyclopedia with that name. Obviously he was a luthier. I would probably be looking at violin makers of that era.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waverly-tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	153363  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If you're looking for custom take a look at Bill Jame's tailpieces:

http://www.axinc.net/James_Mandolin_...e_p/jtt-wl.htm
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I found that AlanN's TP is a Nugget. Might be hard to get and expensive. Link to picture.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

As far as info, that one resembles in construction and shape the two mentioned on this thread. One is labelled C. Burnett and one is unlabelled. I am sure that Allen Hopkins will chime in here, but Stutzman's Guitars has one of them in the owner's collection and he might know of that maker. You might also do a search for Rochester city directory from around that time and see if Kenneweg is listed as a business.

In fact, check out Allen's post about the ones at Stutzman's.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The more I look at the hole pattern the more it looks like a Gibson style tailpiece was fitted.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks for the input! That is a great thread and the mandolins in the pictures look very, very similar to the one I'm working on Mine isn't that ornate, but still, the A style is very similar, as are the pictures of the case. i have one that was made for the Kenneweg mandolin and it is also very similar is style. The references to the "rochester violin maker" are exciting. It is probably the same luthier, or maybe a member of the family?? This is a ton more info than I was able to find on line. I really appreciate it!

Thanks for this info. I will look into this type of tailpiece.

Based on input I got from the mandolin's owner (my son's girlfriend), this Nugget type tailpiece seems to be the most logical type of original. She remembers her mother playing the mando, and remembers that the strings did not wrap over the end of the tailpiece, but that the tailpiece was really small. So this Nugget seems to fit the bill. I'll start looking for one....though if you have a suggestion where one may be found, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!

As a Rochesterian, I've never heard of F H Kenneweg, and I've heard quite a bit of Rochester musical history.

If you want to find out more about the maker and the instrument, I'd suggest you contact John Bernunzio and/or Dave Stutzman. They're the city's premier vintage instrument dealers, and may have dealt with other instruments by this maker.

Looks like a neat mandolin, and it would be great to get some info on its maker.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by peejman View Post
    Hi All. I am refurbishing a 1910 Kenneweg mandolin, made by F.H. Kenneweg of Rochester NY. I am seeking an info about this maker, since I can find nothing about this person on the internet. I have already fixed a crack in the top and refinished the mando. Now I'm seeking the right tailpiece to replace the lost original. Nothing I find on-line seems appropriate for this small sized instrument. Does anyone recognize this maker? Any suggestions for where I can get a custom tailpiece for this mando? Thanks!
    Hello. F.H. Kenneweg was my grandfather. Franz Henry Kenneweg. He was a German immigrant and came to America, I believe, around 1890. He passed away in Rochester, NY at age 80 in 1956.

I have a mandolin he made and is dated 1911. I know he was a luthier in Rochester, NY at some point in his life. (He was the Steward at the Country Club of Rochester in the 1920's when my mother was born.) He may have had his own shop or he may have worked with his friend, Bert Goodwin, also a violin maker and luthier. There is information about Bert Goodwin's violins being sold on the web.

Can't help you with the tailpiece for your mandolin. I'm sure you found something to use since your post was made in early 2017. I recall as a 12 year old (1965) giving a guitar teacher in Rochester a box of my grandfather's tools and old parts. Tuners, pick guards and such. Wish I had those back over 50 years later.

I also have a mandolin by Otto Shuff (1944) who was a violin maker in Rochester, NY.

I believe a cousin of mine has one of my grandfather's violins in California. I also have an old turtle back mando he made but it has not weathered well. Do you think that tailpiece would be the same as the ones used on your style mandolin?

My email is tdkscr@frontiernet.net.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdkscr For This Useful Post:

I love when this happens and ancestors of unknown luthiers or performers find our discussions. Very cool.

tdkscr: can you post some photos of the mandolins made by your grandfather including the bowlback, even if it is not in great shape. You may want to have it restored tho someday.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: