Thread: Upgrading to a new mandolin advice

Default Upgrading to a new mandolin advice

I bought a cheap Rogue A style mandolin a while back because I wasn't sure how much I'd actually play. It's pretty nice for being 50 bucks but now I'm looking to upgrade as I play a lot and have progressed pretty well. Now I still consider myself a beginner I'm self taught and certainly not very talented so I don't want to spend too much probably in the $300-$500 range. I play bluegrass and my favorite player is Bill Monroe so naturally I want an F style. So what are some good F style mandolins within my price range? Thanks.

Default Re: Upgrading to a new mandolin advice

There is this Kentucky in the classifieds.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/106739#106739

A used Eastman 315 would be a good choice too.

Good luck with your hunt!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by benhinshaw0917 View Post
    Now I still consider myself a beginner I'm self taught and certainly not very talented so I don't want to spend too much probably in the $300-$500 range. I play bluegrass and my favorite player is Bill Monroe so naturally I want an F style. So what are some good F style mandolins within my price range?
    Well, Bill Monroe's F5 is probably worth a million bucks, and while its value is certainly affected by provenance, other Gibsons of that era are offered for sale in the $150-$200K range. So there might not be a good F style mandolin within your price range. The best F style at that price point might be a used The Loar LM520:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/106561#106561

You could also keep an eye out for a used Eastman MD315, although a lot of people would recommend that you opt instead for an A-style like the Kentucky KM150.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If you like the sound of Monroe's mandolin, you will probably be better satisfied with a Kentucky or a The Loar. They seem to have a more traditional sound than Eastmen as a rule. It also can't be said enough when low budget an A will get you a better mandolin than a F, and there is no real difference in sound A to F more than the difference in individual instrument. Look at it this way, if you need transportation on a low budget wouldn't you expect a plain Jane to be a better choice than a car with all the bells and whistle for the same money. Later when you have more to spend you can get all the options that Detroit tell us we need if you want. Points and scrolls are bells and whistles.