Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck dimensions?

Default Re: Neck dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    When I was asked what dimensions I wanted on a Derrington MM I was hesitant to state my preference. So,one of the builders(forgot his name...Billy?) said "well,we'll leave a little extra cheek on the neck;if you don't like it we can take some off." So,the cheek was left on. I'm thinking now that I would prefer to have less cheek.
    The lesson here is:don't drink before you give your neck dimension preferences.(or,as Lyle L. says,"don't get drunk before you go to get a haircut.")
    Actually the "cheek" is possibly the most important part of the feel - more so than the width or depth - it's roughly "how quickly does the neck fall away from my hand near the fretboard". If it falls away quickly there, then the neck will feel "slim" almost regardless of it's actual dimensions. This is another reason why almost all mandolins have something like a V profile - if you carve the neck to move away from the fretboard quickly, then on a narrow neck such as a mandolin you automatically end up with some sort of V. This is in contrast to a wider guitar neck, where you can have the same profile near the fretboard, and still end up with a C shape. Hope that makes sense....

2. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Two of my mandolins, the one's with the slimmest dimensions-11/16 and 12/16, 17mm and 19mm, both have C shaped necks. I think it is easier to make a C shape in a shallow neck while a deeper neck really requires some kind of V or soft V. Others that are deeper have a more of a V shape. The cheeks in the V would make a difference in feel. The slimmer necks that I like are C shaped and actually quite small.
    Last edited by pops1; Jan-19-2017 at 2:41pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I have found that the measurement at the first fret tells me all I need to know as most of my time is spent in first position. But at the Collings website (for example) they will give you first and 12th fret dimensions.
    The info at the Collings site is exactly what I was thinking of. It would be a really good thing to have some sort of repository of cross section information on different instruments, from vintage to new instruments. I was thinking two sections at nut or first fret, then again at 5th or 7th fret. The Collings site gives this type of info using 1st & 9th fret dimensions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin-oval-hole-neck-profile.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	153157

Name:	mandolin-neck-profile.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	153158
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Interesting that the 9th fret has that much change. The 9th fret of my Brentrup is very close to the 1st. at 3/4" or 19mm.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Interesting that the 9th fret has that much change. The 9th fret of my Brentrup is very close to the 1st. at 3/4" or 19mm.
    I'd like to see charts with the 5th or 7th rather than the 9th. The 9th on a lot of instruments is in an area where the radius toward the heel occurs.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Mark you are right, and mine starts that at the 10th or just past. It actually goes right up until the heel and then only forms a short heel. A very nice straight neck which is great for playing up the neck. It's no wonder I am spoiled.

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Was playing a gig tonight and actually flashed on this discussion. I looked over at the fiddle player - Lynn (Chrips) Smith - and noticed the neck on his fiddle was like my mandolin. Unlike most mandolins that get deeper as it goes up the neck, mine stays straight like a fiddle. Weird thing to be thinking about during a tune, but there you go.

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Pops,
    I met Lynn a couple of years ago at the Montana Old Time Fiddlers Camp. he of course was teaching fiddle. A great guy and a most talented fiddler. His wife, Dot was teaching old time dancing. I enjoyed watching her class, but I am no dancer.

George, Yes both great folks. Chirps was talking of going to Fiddle Camp, likes to go thru Yellowstone on the way since it's early and not too many people. Have played dances with Dot calling, lots of fun. Surprised me that I would think about this thread, Chirps is soooo much fun to play with I didn't think anything else would pop into my head. But there now you know the cause of my nickname.

I checked the fiddle camp website list of instructors this year and Chirps is on it along with Dot. Once again John Reischman will be the mandolin instructor. Wish I could go this year, but the Tractor needs a new clutch. If you have never gone to the Montana Old Time Fiddlers Camp you should make the trip. The instructors concert every night is well worth the cost.

Here is a link to their website; http://www.montanafiddlers.org/camp.html

I found neck widths confusing, so I made a visual that helped me.
    My current mandolin is 1 1/8, which I like well enough.
    I think my next mandolin will be 1 3/16s.
    I owned a 1 3/32 Northfield, but the nut was just too narrow.
    I find nut width very important.

Name:	Nut Width Reference.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	153206
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

15. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Was playing a gig tonight and actually flashed on this discussion. I looked over at the fiddle player - Lynn (Chrips) Smith - and noticed the neck on his fiddle was like my mandolin. Unlike most mandolins that get deeper as it goes up the neck, mine stays straight like a fiddle. Weird thing to be thinking about during a tune, but there you go.
    My Heiden is like that, too. Holds close to the same dimensions way up the neck--just a little wider.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    My Heiden is like that, too. Holds close to the same dimensions way up the neck--just a little wider.
    Yea Don, it spoils me for most other mandolins. It is a great mandolin.l