Thread: Manviolino

Default Manviolino

My friend Pierangelo from Naples, Italy, plays and discusses his own mandolin-violin instrument. Lovely sounding and beautifully played:

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Manviolino

Cool.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Very cool instruments!
    He is pretty handy with the bow/pick.
    I kept thinking he is a Harpo Marx offspring.

What a wonderful video. Your friend is a fine musician as well as an innovative builder, and a natural comedian.

6. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Wow. That is absolutely the best one of its kind that I have ever seen.

Seriously - I enjoyed watching. Thanks.

That instrument sounds pretty nice! I never would have expected it to provide such a nice expressive violin-ish sound while also being able to sound mandolin-ish. He is obviously very talented at bringing forth the tone from it.

That bow/pick contraption looks awkward to use, though! The way his hand holds it makes it look difficult to get a good tremolo, but he sure enough does it. This pretty much takes all the cheating out of it, and the action truly has to come from the wrist.

Is that a traditional hat in Italy?

The bow is just a short bow. He is using his nail as a pick. Great sound. Beautiful looking instrument. Thanks for sharing.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

I do not think he is using his nail as a pick. Look at 3:35.
    Bill Snyder

I don't know why he cropped the video so close that you can't see the bow except for that short segment around 3:35. Too bad. A real character, that guy!

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Jim, It reminds me a bit of the skinny dude from One Man Band (and I love it).

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

14. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Here's my favorite Pierangelo posting - wouldn't it wonderful if mandolinists could make a living doing this ...

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Here's my favorite Pierangelo posting - wouldn't it wonderful if mandolinists could make a living doing this ...
    Mandolinists often do make some fraction of a living playing in noisy restaurants for audiences that politely ignore them. But who is complaining, right? I thought he would be playing the manviolino but he is playing a mere mandolin. The restaurant probably asked him to play quietly to not disturb the diners.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: