Thread: Hammer on question...

Default Hammer on question...

I've decided to try to learn the melody and accompaniment for "The Rights of Man" as arranged by John McGann in his octave mandolin book. (It will take me a while, I think.)

As I started playing, there's some hammer ons on intervals 0-2 and 4-5 on D string right away... but a few bars later, there's 2-5 and 0-5 on the A string.

The first hammer ons work no problem on either regular mandolin or octave (I have both.) However, I struggle to get any sound out of the second notes on the A string on EITHER instrument. The tone just dies.

Any videos or whatever that anyone can recommend for how to practice/do this properly?

Thanks!

Default Re: Hammer on question...

Do you also struggle on the G and E strings, or is the A string a particular problem? Since you can hammer successfully on the D, I'd guess that the G works too - both courses of wound strings are a bit easier for many people. Mandolin is harder than octave to achieve good hammer-on results as the scale is shorter and the tension higher.

How high are the A strings above the fretboard compared with the others? If you have different string heights this may give you problems too. I find that hammer-ons need a slightly higher action, but others may well say differently. Bring your fingertip down firmly and cleanly just behind the fret and with a strong hammer action and keep it there for the note's duration; but you are probably already doing this as you can get success on the D string!

Here is a link to my version of The Drunken Piper played on mandolin. Around 56 seconds I alter the rhythm and begin using hammer-ons to simulate the bagpipe ornaments and you'll see that most of them are on the A and E courses. Don't know how much help this will be to you, but you might just spot something that can help.

I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    ... The Drunken Piper played on mandolin. Around 56 seconds I alter the rhythm and begin using hammer-ons to simulate the bagpipe ornaments and you'll see that most of them are on the A and E courses. Don't know how much help this will be to you, but you might just spot something that can help. ...
    Above video not working, code error, maybe this will work?

(or direct link)

By the way, nice playing!

Thanks for sorting link, and for comment, JL277z.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

I have that John McGann book and CD, and I just took a quick listen to Rights of Man. If I'm not mistaken, he's not just hammering those notes and lifting the finger afterwards, but also using slight pull-offs on the release... i.e. a slight sideways flick of the string on the fingertip as you release it. It helps to have enough callus on the fingertip for pull-offs like this.

As John Kelly's video clip above shows, a straight hammer down and release can sound great for some effects, but when there is a longer sequence of notes, like the downward run in Rights of Man, I tend to use hammer+pull-offs to help keep the notes at the same volume.

I differ with John's advice about a slightly higher action allowing better hammer-ons, only because that works in reverse for a pull-off following a hammer-on. That gets harder to do as the action goes higher. Unless you have monster calluses, that is. Of course, that's probably one way to get monster calluses if you want 'em.

Actually, John, I don't think I was hitting hard enough with my hammer on from 2-5 on the A string, I went back and tried it again really bringing my finger down with force and I got more sound out. Maybe not perfect, but something. Thanks for the tip!

I threw a video together from my phone really fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_cZaok0oM

As for the downward runs, that makes sense @foldedpath. I've only gotten a few sections in but I'll try to apply that where I can.

Glad you have got something going, Dan. Foldedpath notes that for pull-offs you may well not want such a high action, and that's a valid point - though I am not up the neck too far too often! So too the advice to use a slight flick of the fretting finger as you execute your pull-off, easier on the single courses of a guitar than the doubles of a mandolin, but worth working on. Your video clip certainly shows that you are getting the effect well and you are doing the right thing in working on it at a slower pace to get the action sorted out.

On a tune like "The Boys of Bluehill" I use a 3 note hammer-on on the A string, 2-4-5, for one of the phrases. Easy on the octave, harder on the mandolin with the shorter sustain and scale length.

8. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

It's a right hand left hand co-ordination that takes time to "get". It involves the correct amount of pluck with the pick and "slam" with the left hand at the right moment........ and as stated above your "action/ setup" may be hindering you. Practice practice practice ...... and calluses .. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I'm getting back to mandolin after a 25-year absence. In the meantime however I did play some guitar. I just encountered a page in a beginner book (Dummies) asking me to pick EDEF#EF#GF#G on the D string and my reflexes did a combination of picking and hammer-on-pull-offs instead. For you, it'll come "naturally," with a little practice. In my case I can't help myself.