Thread: First Build Flat Top From a Piano

Default First Build Flat Top From a Piano

Hello all, first time posting here. Thought I'd share a few pics of a pair of flat tops I finally completed. I made them using material from an old piano that had sentimental value. I did buy the rosewood for the fingerboards but all other wood was from the piano. The backs are red oak but there wasn't enough for the sides so they are white oak. Necks are maple, bridges maple/ebony, fret markers are ivory, headstock overlay is veneer from piano and the nuts are brass from a foot pedal. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Now I just have to learn how to play!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	153031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	153032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0964.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	153033  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	153034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0956.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	153035  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Davgorr For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Re: First Build Flat Top From a Piano

Those look great. Nice job. I'd like to hear them
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Nice work! I like to see things made from other items! Really nice work!

You must have had some excellen shop skills. How did you resaw the wood from the piano? And you carved the nuts from the brass foot pedal?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Nice work. I'd like to hear them. I'd also like some additional details on the construction of these. How are they braced? Is there an induced arch in the top and/or the back?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thanks guys. I used Graham McDonalds book and specs with very few changes. Top is braced from beside the neck block to the tail block, back is x-braced with 15' radius on both. I would've posted some pics as I went along but I've been working on them for 2 years off and on(mostly off). I do have some woodworking skills and tools. My first idea for the nuts was to laminate ivory together but it just didn't look right so I cut the brass with a cut off wheel on my dremel. This forum was a huge help as well and I referenced it many times along the way. Maybe when I learn to play a bit better I'll post something.

8. The following members say thank you to Davgorr for this post:

So I have to ask: if the piano had sentimental value, why did you chop it up?

The piano's been in my family longer than I have. It ended up at my house after my sister moved across the country. I'm a guitar player and thought I'd learn some piano but never did. When I needed some room I decided to take it apart rather than give it away(they're really not worth anything). I think I made the right choice since I've played the mando more in the last few days than I played the piano in the 20 years I had it!