Thread: Another Blue Chip pick convert

Default Another Blue Chip pick convert

Well,having received some money at Christmas time I decided to go on a buy a blue chip pick, TP 60. I can't believe the difference! I have been using a Wegen 1.5 and been very happy. But the tone and even volume I seem to be getting immediately from the blue chip is truly amazing! I played a scale and my whole family that weren't really paying attention to my playing at that moment all heard it as well. I can't wait to bring it to the next jam and see if other folks hear the difference.
    Daniel Kaufman

2. The following members say thank you to FrDNicholas for this post:

Default Re: Another Blue Chip pick convert

Been a Bluechipper for many years. I use a TAD 1R-50.

Kenny Smith 60

I have a few. OK, i have 6, 4 triangles and a big and little jazz III style.

One i just got is a TAD-40 whereas all the others are 60's or CT55. The 40 is great on guitar, the slight flex is throwing me off on mandolin.

Don't really notice much difference between beveled and round tip, tho
    Last edited by gtani7; Jan-14-2017 at 5:30pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

It's nice to have a 1R if you are still exploring the difference in tip shape. No harm if you don't end up liking the rounded tip.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    Kenny Smith 60
    +1

Dave Sheets

Yeah, the idea of that much money for a pick seems absurd, unless you try it, and it works for you. For some reason, I have less trouble hanging onto it at higher speeds than other picks, so I'm more relaxed, which is critical.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Registered User Otis_Spunkmeyer's Avatar

Love my ct-55.

gtani7, I think I have sold you two of my BC picks. I agree that anything below 45 I start to notice the flex.

I think the round bevel versus speed bevel does make a difference in tone. The round bevel is a little darker to me.

I love the way BC pick feels in my hand. They are oddly tacky even though they feel slippery. They slide off the stings very well and I like that too. So I like the way they play and feel and they sound pretty good but there is something about the tone of them that I don't really like. I have probably bought/sold/traded over 20 of them trying to find the size, shape, point, thickness, etc. that works for me. I settled on a CT 55 and I have two TAD 45s, one with a round bevel and one with a speed bevel. I like these the best but I still think there's something weird about the tone of these. It's like they sound dark but have a thin, high frequency tone to them as well that I do not like.

I really like the feel of acrylic picks (Gravity and V Picks) but the pick noise drives me crazy (plasticy sound and chirpy). I finally took a bunch of my Pro Plec picks and put a speed bevel on them. They sound just as good, if not better, than a BC TAD 60 or CT 55 at a fraction of the cost (but it did take me a few hours to do them all).

TAD60-1R. That's been my favorite BC so far, but I could do without the 1R next time (if there is a next time). Last fall I started developing a fondness for Wegen TF-120s and I'm liking them more and more. I was gonna order another $35 Blue Chip a few weeks back when they were offering free shipping but then noticed in their ad that the free shipping was for orders OVER $35. So I changed directions and worked up an order for a bunch of Wegen picks in various thicknesses @ $15 for 2 from another online site. Initially the Wegens sounded raspy and thin to me, but then I cleaned up and smoothed the edges a bit and now I'm liking them so much that I'm using them considerably more than my BCs. I still like my BCs, but the more I play the Wegens the more I want to play them.

I like to have a pick stuck in the strings of each mandolin, plus a spare in the case, so since I have only one BC, my second mandolin and all my guitars have Wegen Dippers. I worked up from 1.2 mm picks to 1.8mm. They are really good, with three tip profiles.

The BC is my favorite for mandolin, TAD 60 1R.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1