Thread: Trio in G by Gottfried August Homilius (1714-1785)

Default Trio in G by Gottfried August Homilius (1714-1785)

Trio for organ, arranged for two mandolins and guitar (or mandocello)
    by G A Homilius - an organ pupil of J S Bach and a cantor/kapellmeister in his own right.

It has one or two tricky 'corners' which is why I've pitched the sequenced recording at a steady pace. It might benefit from being played a little faster (I can't yet !!)

https://soundcloud.com/andabouk/trio...lius-1714-1785

Score and parts available on my website at

http://www.andyboden.com/baroque.html

Andy
    Mandolins -
    Paul Shippey electric custom - 2009
    Paul Shippey maple model oval hole - 2012
    J Bovier EMC-5
    Suzuki (Nagoya) bowlback 1973

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Boden For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trio in G by Gottfried August Homilius (1714-1785)

I love that arrangement, Andy!

If it's alright with you, I made a tab of all 3 parts of your arrangement, for playback in TablEdit or TefView. I tried really hard to be accurate, but if you see anything that needs changed, let me know.

trio-in-g.tef

NOTE: Apparently Android TefView does not respect saved-file note-spacing settings, so one might have to widen the note spacing to 1/32 so that the 1/32 triplets display correctly. (In TefView, tap the gear-shaped icon and then tap the little musical-note icon that has the 3 flags on it.)

Also, I don't know how to hide TablEdit's numerical markings for tempo changes, which I used to approximate the 'rit' in the last few measures of the score. Maybe there's some way to de-clutter the TablEdit tempo markers but if there is I'm not aware of it.

4. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Thank you, both of you. Wonderful job.

For arranging, composing, improvising, for jazz, blues or oldies the classical pieces are invaluable. Often they present wonderful arrangements of arpeggios like Tarregas Ava Maria and many many more..

X:1
    T:Tarrega's Ava Maria
    C:Bach
    N: TablEdited by: Ken Yearick
    L:1/8
    Q:100
    M:4/4
    K:D
    D/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ D/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ | f/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ D/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ | g/E/B/d/ g/B/d/g/ D/E/B/d/ g/B/d/g/ | \
    a/E/A/c/ a/E/G/c/ A,/E/A/c/ e/G/c/e/ | f/F/A/d/ f/F/A/d/ D/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ | b/B/d/f/ b/B/d/f/ D/D/d/D/ c/F/d/F/ | \
    e/E/^G/B/ e/G/B/f/ e/E/G/B/ e/E/G/B/ | a/E/A/c/ a/E/A/c/ A,/G/A/G/ B/G/c/G/ | \
    f/A,/F/A/ d/F/A/e/ f/A,/D/F/ A/d/f/a/ | d/D/B/D/ d/D/B/D/ B,/B/d/B/ e/B/f/B/ | \
    ^g/E/B/d/ g/B/d/f/ e/E/^G/B/ e/E/G/B/ | c/E/A/E/ C/E/A/E/ A,/E/A/c/ e/F/B/c/ | \
    f/^D/A/=c/ f/D/A/c/ A,/A/f/^d/ g/A/a/=d/ | b/G/e/G/ E/G/B/G/ B/E/G/E/ E/G/B/G/ | \
    e/E/^A/E/ e/E/A/E/ G/A/e/A/ f/A/g/A/ | a/A/d/A/ A,/D/F/A/ A/D/F/D/ D/F/A/d/ | \
    d/F/B/F/ d/F/B/F/ B,/D/d/B/ e/B/f/B/ | g/B/d/g/ g/B/d/B/ E/B/g/d/ a/d/b/g/ | c'/A/e/g/ c'/A/e/b/ a/G/c/e/ a/G/c/e/ | \
    f/F/A/d/ f/A/d/f/ D/F/B/d/ f/A/d/f/ | a/=c/d/c/ D/c/d/c/ f/A/c/A/ D/A/c/f/ | b/D/G/B/ b/D/G/B/ B/B,/D/G/ B/D/F/B/ | \
    b/D/G/B/ b/D/G/B/ B/B,/D/G/ B/D/G/B/ | d/A/D/A/ d/A/D/A/ =f/A/c/d/ f/A/d/D/ | \
    d/^A/e/g/ d/A/e/g/ ^A,/D/G/D/ A,/E/G/d/ | e/E/G/c/ e/E/G/c/ A,/G/e/G/ d/G/c/G/ | \
    a/F/A/d/ a/F/A/f/ d/F/A/F/ d/F/A/F/ | g/E/B/d/ g/E/B/d/ A,/G/g/G/ f/G/e/G/ | e/c/g/a/ e/c/g/c'/ a/A/c/g/ a/A/c/g/ | \
    b/^G/d/=f/ b/G/d/f/ A/b/B/b/ c/c'/d/d'/ | f'/d/f/a/ f'/d/f/a/ A/A/f/d/ A/a/F/f/ | \
    e/G/B/d/ e/G/B/d/ A,/G/B/b/ c/c'/B/b/ | A/a/e/e'/ c/c'/A/a/ G/g/E/e/ C/c/A/a/ | \
    D/D/A/=c/ f/A/c/f/ D/D/A/c/ f/A/c/f/ | D/D/G/B/ d/g/d/B/ d/B/G/B/ G/E/G/E/ | D/C/A/c/ e/g/e/c/ e/c/A/c/ F/G/F/E/ | \
    [a8d8F8A,8] | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

D maj A7 Bm Dmaj7 Eadd9 Amaj E9 D7-9 etc....

Practise and one gets these things ingrained with pleasure

By the way:

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~scottd/chord...&accidentals=1

is a good page for finding harmonies

6. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Thanks Werner!

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jaekel View Post
    ... https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~scottd/chord...&accidentals=1

is a good page for finding harmonies
    Excellent, I've been needing something like that to help decipher piano scores. (I like to know the *names* of the chords, useful for making leadsheets and for plugging chord-names into a backing app for practicing.) The scores I'm dealing with often have lots of tricky clumps of 3-4 notes that form *some* sort of weird chord but not anything obvious... especially difficult when the score is loaded with lots of accidentals... and then I get further confused by the fact that some piano scores have a habit of *not* necessarily putting the root as the lowest bass note in any sort of predictable manner. I'd been figuring it out manually, by drawing a piano keyboard on a piece of scrap paper and then visualizing which notes make what chords, ok for easy chords but slow-going and/or frustrating for fancy/complicated chords that can have a bunch of different names for the same notes. Trying to manually figure out *all* the possible names for a particular group of 3-4 notes, so as to have a list of names to decide which is the most likely candidate, is tedious and time-consuming.

So that website should be a big help. Thanks again Werner!

Please note, if anyone wants my arrangements or compositions in TAB form I can create notation only (my default), TAB only or both tab with notation. Feel free to ask

Andy
    Mandolins -
    Paul Shippey electric custom - 2009
    Paul Shippey maple model oval hole - 2012
    J Bovier EMC-5
    Suzuki (Nagoya) bowlback 1973

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

9. The following members say thank you to Andy Boden for this post:

Hello Andy,
    notation is fine, no problem.

Thank you, anyway.

I remember the times when I had to rely on tab. That was a very small confined world, very limited. Mostly to always same scales and modes. That changed with getting familiar with staff notation, wider music theory and the relation to the fretboard.

That was a new big world. But now I am addicted to collecting sheetmusic and spend hours analysing. Momentarily I am with Bach , the violin concerto in E major, the adagio of it. A heavenly piece.

I can only recommend to get the staff notation under the nails. It is not difficult. Tabledit has a funktion for showing the notation in either fret numbers or note names.

When I switch from mandolin to mandola in alto I follow note names.
    Easy.

JL277z

Hi, I know what you mean. I often include other voices, from bass or alto... into my lines with a bunch of weird looking harmonies from scores. Above page is really helpful. One could ofcourse look at the intervals , the accidentals and count. But this is alot faster.

Here is another:

http://www.joefinn.net/html/chord_speller.html

There are many like it on the web.

11. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Boden View Post
    Please note, if anyone wants my arrangements or compositions in TAB form I can create notation only (my default), TAB only or both tab with notation. Feel free to ask ...
    Thanks. I'm ok with notation only, most of the time. Sometimes I tab out a tune if it's a tricky piece that has lots of accidentals, or if it's in a key that I'm not accustomed to. Just depends on the piece.

... I can only recommend to get the staff notation under the nails. ...
    That does give a person lots more options as to sources of new music.

... Tabledit has a funktion for showing the notation in either fret numbers or note names. ...
    True.

Another handy feature of having stuff in TablEdit format (or other apps with similar functionality) is being able to selectively turn instruments on/off during playback (if there's more than one instrument), to hear what each instrument sounds like solo. Useful for learning parts.