Thread: Hiscox vs Airloom

Default Hiscox vs Airloom

I have a Collings MF5 that resides in a Hiscox case. I had to do lots of modification to the padding to get a good fit. The neck support is still loose such that I have to add a non attached pad every time I put it away to keep the mandolin from sliding around.

The attraction to this case was it's rigidity, light weight, and internal storage. Now that I've lived with it for a year, I'm frustrated with it's fit issues and overall bulkiness.

My question, has anybody A/B'd a Hiscox and an Airloom case? It's very frustrating that nobody near me (East Tennessee) has one in stock to look at.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tnranger; Jan-12-2017 at 1:30pm.

Default Re: Hiscox vs Airloom

Happy Airloom customer (no Hiscox experience...). The mandolin (Gilchrist Model 5) fits perfectly with no wiggle side to side or fore to aft, regardless if case lid is open or shut. Plush cushioning (think Calton), terrific neck support (again, think Calton), *very* ample lidded storage space, quality hardware and with the new case cover specifically designed for it, it's a dandy, stylish, well-appointed case deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airloom in cover2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	152951  

Alan,

Would you consider boarding a plane with your Gil in this case?

Thanks

Absolutely (as a carry-on, to fit overhead). And the Northfield boys market it as such - see the name 'Airloom'. They purposely slimmed it down to be sleek and un-bulky. I liken it to the Geib F-5 cases of yore in terms of protection and strength. It's not in the Hoffee/Calton/Price class and does not purport to being so. Yet, it supplies ample protection and cushioning for air/train/car travel.

Where did you buy yours?

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...r/airloom-case

They do work with a network of stores, there may be one in your area.

The closest is in Nashville, and they don't keep them in stock. I'd really like to have one on hand to evaluate before buying.

Marc Jacobs

FWIW, I bought an Airloom direct from Northfield over the summer and have traveled with it by airplane a lot. It's really a wonderful case. I have a Gibson F-5 and it fits it like a glove.

9. The following members say thank you to marcja for this post:

Yeah, I suppose I 'took a chance' with buying it sight unseen. But, not really, as between their website documentation and photos, plus the customer contact and user feedback, I knew what I was getting before I got it. There were no surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by tnranger View Post
    The closest is in Nashville, and they don't keep them in stock. I'd really like to have one on hand to evaluate before buying.
    tnranger, I'd recommend you call Peter and order one. if you find it doesn't meet your standards, send it back to and they'll refund your money after it's returned. They are a stand-up bunch of guys at Northfield.

The Gil will probably fit just fine. A friend with a '24 signed Loar used my case and he loved the fit... and there was no movement of the instrument in the case. The neck support is about 5 inches long, padding around, above, and below the instrument is well designed, and there is angled support beneath the headstock (which is typically only found in the very top cases). It was designed in collaboration with Northfield artists including Mike Marshall, Adam Steffey, and Emory Lester.

The case cover is also nice, fits the case well, and they chose good materials (canvas exterior is rugged). The case and cover are currently running $500 as a set. A similar set from Calton is $900, and a Hoffee set is about $1,000.

Best of luck,
    D