Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBovier oval hole on ebay

Default JBovier oval hole on ebay

Looking for my first mandolin and I've become interested in JBovier. I'm not a bluegrasser and my ears seem to prefer the sound of oval hole models. Jeff C. isn't doing an oval holes right now and there is one on ebay from what looks to be a reputable seller. I'm well familiar with the general concerns about purchasing instruments on ebay and probably will bypass this one (I buy instruments on specialized forums like this where the vetting is easier, but have previously drawn the line there). Just in case, though, I thought I would see if anyone has perspective on this particular opportunity that a mando newbie like me might find helpful. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Bovier-A4-...8AAOSwmLlX4OCN

Machschnell

2. The following members say thank you to Machschnell for this post:

Default Re: JBovier oval hole on ebay

I've never seen J. Boviers so inexpensive. They usually run about $800 new. Tempting!

One of those labels doesn't look right, though ... damaged somehow. Seems pasted over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bovier-label.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	152950
    Last edited by Petrus; Jan-12-2017 at 10:21am.

The grain showing on the back of the mandolin DOES NOT match the grain of the back in the shot of the label. Were these laminate backs and sides?
    Bill Snyder

Seller has over 2k ebay sales and 100% satisfaction. Might consider taking a chance, especially if they take returns, forgot to look.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    The grain showing on the back of the mandolin DOES NOT match the grain of the back in the shot of the label. Were these laminate backs and sides?
    I don't believe any JBoviers were ever laminate, so this is a concern. Someone who has been following this longer might have better perspective, though. If I'm reading the serial number code correctly this is supposed to be a 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I've never seen J. Boviers so inexpensive. They usually run about $800 new. Tempting!

One of those labels doesn't look right, though ... damaged somehow. Seems pasted over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bovier-label.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	152950
    Yeah it does, doesn't it. Seller says it is new, never used.

This may help. Or not. I was looking at JBovier mandolins this past summer. I saw some on Amazon definitely much cheaper than I saw at the JBovier web site. I contacted the builder himself. When I sent him the link to Amazon, he then told me that at one point, he had them set up by someone else, had not liked the way they were setting them up, and he was now doing it himself, once again. He speculated that those cheaper one's on Amazon might be the mandolins the other party had been setting up. Possibly this is the case here at EBay.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    This may help. Or not. I was looking at JBovier mandolins this past summer. I saw some on Amazon definitely much cheaper than I saw at the JBovier web site. I contacted the builder himself. When I sent him the link to Amazon, he then told me that at one point, he had them set up by someone else, had not liked the way they were setting them up, and he was now doing it himself, once again. He speculated that those cheaper one's on Amazon might be the mandolins the other party had been setting up. Possibly this is the case here at EBay.
    Interesting, thanks.

That serial number is very close to one of mine, which is a pretty decent sounding mandolin compared to the Kentucky 900 and others in the $1k price bracket. Those were made in Korea prior to the China-made Boviers with the round white label. Mine had a few top cracks around f-holes that needed to have hide glue squirted in, no other obvious problems.

Can't really comment further as I've only played these 2 in my whole life and haven't done much to them, i.e. haven't lifted the bridge to look underneath or stuck a mirror in, only changed strings on one. My tech told me that a pickguard would be very tricky to mount, if that matters. Both of mine are f-holes, so different neck joint (i'm thinking of eastman oval and f-holes which have totally different sound qualities).
    Last edited by gtani7; Jan-13-2017 at 1:34am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

The seller has 2 other ones but F holes , I've seen them listed before, i would love to hear that oval hole.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

The serial number is printed on transparency and pasted over the label. I guess it is obvious to everyone.

Label says made in Korea, I believe that the Boviers have been made in China for quite sometime. Maybe they had some mandolins left from the transition or these did not meet the standard and were rejected?

Hey! Thanks for the heads up on this!
    I bought the A5X gloss that the seller also had. He had it listed as an A5-AC-G. Have had very good reviews here. The fretboard design and peghead inlay looks like the 2011/2012 model.
    After I get it and do the setup & new strings, I'll compare it to my Eastman MD-505. Suppose I'll also compare it to my Collings MT, but I don;t expect it to be quite up to that challenge.
    Here's the spec sheet:
    http://jbovier.net/mandolins/a5/

Here's the spec sheet on the A4 you were looking at:
    http://jbovier.net/mandolins/a4/

There is also an A5X satin still available.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-20-2017 at 1:29am.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Label says made in Korea, I believe that the Boviers have been made in China for quite sometime. Maybe they had some mandolins left from the transition or these did not meet the standard and were rejected?
    I think these are old enough to have been among the last produced in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Hey! Thanks for the heads up on this!
    I bought the A5X gloss that the seller also had. He had it listed as an A5-AC-G. Have had very good reviews here. The fretboard design and peghead inlay looks like the 2011/2012 model.
    After I get it and do the setup & new strings, I'll compare it to my Eastman MD-505. Suppose I'll also compare it to my Collings MT, but I don;t expect it to be quite up to that challenge.
    Here's the spec sheet:
    http://jbovier.net/mandolins/a5/

Here's the spec sheet on the A4 you were looking at:
    http://jbovier.net/mandolins/a4/

There is also an A5X satin still available.
    I'd be interested in a report (via pm or whatever) after you get a closer look; I'm intrigued, but suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Machschnell View Post
    I'd be interested in a report (via pm or whatever) after you get a closer look; I'm intrigued, but suspicious.
    Should be here by Tuesday. I'll report back. Seller reported that all 3 have stickers with "Made In Korea" on them. They appear to be built for 2011 or 2012. They should be date marked under the tailpiece cover. I'll check the serial number when it arrives. Probable that they were NOT setup by Jeff Cowherd in the J Bovier shop, but likely made available through a 3rd party seller, which Jeff did at some point. So likely, they still need a good setup. Time to dust off the Rob Meldrum Mandolin Setup eBook and find my feeler gauges/nut saws. (Hopefully there is no actual dust in my hard drive on the eBook). I'll let you know how it goes.

PS- Since you are looking for a first mandolin, you should contact Rob and get a copy of his Mandolin Setup eBook. Read through it and see if it looks like something that you can tackle. Any new mandolin that does not come from a high quality shop, will need a setup performed. If you're reasonably handy, you can do it yourself. If not, your local mandolin shop probably can for around $50.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1546582
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-20-2017 at 3:05pm.

I think these are old enough to have been among the last produced in Korea.
    China production started with the 2013 models. He hasn't producing A4's since then, I'm pretty sure.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

19. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

...They appear to be built for 2011 or 2012. They should be date marked under the tailpiece cover.
    Not sure if Jeff was doing this back then, but my 2013 A5 Special was signed and dated under the tailpiece, under the bridge and under the truss rod cover.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

21. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Not sure if Jeff was doing this back then, but my 2013 A5 Special was signed and dated under the tailpiece, under the bridge and under the truss rod cover.
    I think this was done on all J Bovier instruments that he setup in his shop. At some point, however, he did sell some through a 3rd party wholesaler where the instruments did not get a setup in the J Bovier shop by Jeff. I'm guessing that these 3 are the latter type, but I'll report back on Tuesday.

Here's a video of the same model you're looking at:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1250790

Should be here by Tuesday. I'll report back. Seller reported that all 3 have stickers with "Made In Korea" on them. They appear to be built for 2011 or 2012. They should be date marked under the tailpiece cover.
    My Korean one doesn't have any writing under tailpiece cover. The other one has "10/12" under tailpiece cover, which i think is one of the earliest of that batch but I can't tell you much else since it's been in the shop since early December (needs to have tuner holes plugged and redrilled)
    Kentucky km900
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

25. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

The JBovier A arrived last week. Great seller to work with. It was not a Korean made instrument, but Chinese. Was indeed marked as an A5X. I'm thinking it was made in 2013 Before the Tradition/Special models were made? Overall very nice. After some minor setup work, it plays very well. Frets were in perfect shape, no dressing required. Nut was also cut properly, no adjustments needed. Bridge foot well matched to the body. I just adjusted the bridge to my taste, low as possible, and set the intonation, put on new strings, and it sounds great! Not as woody sounding as my Eastman MD505, but clear as a bell on the E & A strings with amazing sustain, which the Eastman certainly isn't. Interesting side note, neck joins the body at fret 14. I'm going to A/B with my Collings MT tomorrow.

PS- Seller says he double checked the other 2 he has to sell, and they are marked Made in Korea.

27. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

The JBovier A arrived last week. Great seller to work with. It was not a Korean made instrument, but Chinese. Was indeed marked as an A5X. I'm thinking it was made in 2013 Before the Tradition/Special models were made? Overall very nice. After some minor setup work, it plays very well. Frets were in perfect shape, no dressing required. Nut was also cut properly, no adjustments needed. Bridge foot well matched to the body. I just adjusted the bridge to my taste, low as possible, and set the intonation, put on new strings, and it sounds great! Not as woody sounding as my Eastman MD505, but clear as a bell on the E & A strings with amazing sustain, which the Eastman certainly isn't. Interesting side note, neck joins the body at fret 14. I'm going to A/B with my Collings MT tomorrow.

PS- Seller says he double checked the other 2 he has to sell, and they are marked Made in Korea.
    Thanks! Is there a word on the street regarding the difference in quality between those made in Korea and those in China? Obviously the change happened for a reason, but if I've read details I don't recall them.

The later years Korean models (which these appear to be) are said to be quite good. They likely will still need some setup work, since they are not coming directly from Jeff's shop.

Thanks! Is there a word on the street regarding the difference in quality between those made in Korea and those in China? Obviously the change happened for a reason, but if I've read details I don't recall them.
    My two, 2010 from Korea and Oct 2012 which i think is from a Chinese workshop, I remember being very similar, both sound very good, midrangey, woody, the E strings have nice tone but are subdued. The 10/12 had a tapered peghead, the other doesn't, which i think led to the very hard to turn tuners, which is being fixed now
    Kentucky km900