Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F style case that can accommodate a Tone-Gard?

Default Re: F style case that can accommodate a Tone-Gard?

Hi George - It seems that Saga don't mind not having a share of the mandolin case market in the UK. I always thought that running a business meant selling as many 'whatevers' as you can, to as many people as you can ?. Maybe Saga's business strategy is different.
    It would be nice to be able to contact Saga in the US directly & ''receive a reply'' - they can't even be bothered to do that !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

How bad do you guys think it can be if I have to push on the lid to be able to close it?
    I just bought a Northfield F5S at the Acoustic Music Co. in Brighton, UK (very happy with it!). The TKL case that came with it fits the mandolin just right. But with the Tone-Gard on it, if I let the lid rest on the top of the mandolin, without closing, there is a gap of 1 centimeter and I#have to push down a little bit (without the Tone-Gard, I guess there is a very small gap like 0.2cm, showing the foam always touches the bridge and strings). It doesn't seem to do any harm to the mandolin since it's just the foam being pressed, but because it's pressing on the bridge, I'm not quite at ease with this. Any advice on this?

In Your situation I'd assess how much the liner foam cushioning gives way,
    before bottoming out..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Niavlys View Post
    How bad do you guys think it can be if I have to push on the lid to be able to close it?
    I just bought a Northfield F5S at the Acoustic Music Co. in Brighton, UK (very happy with it!). The TKL case that came with it fits the mandolin just right. But with the Tone-Gard on it, if I let the lid rest on the top of the mandolin, without closing, there is a gap of 1 centimeter and I#have to push down a little bit (without the Tone-Gard, I guess there is a very small gap like 0.2cm, showing the foam always touches the bridge and strings). It doesn't seem to do any harm to the mandolin since it's just the foam being pressed, but because it's pressing on the bridge, I'm not quite at ease with this. Any advice on this?
    Sounds like a bad situation to me! Any significant, prolonged downbearing pressure on the bridge from the case can lead to the eventual collapse of the mandolin top (at worst). As I recall, the foam in TKL cases is not especially soft, either, so the pressure might be significant. Also, you might need to raise your bridge someday.

If I were you, I would hunt for another case. I definitely needed another case for my Weber when I added a Tone-Gard -- the factory case (which might have been TKL) was certainly too tight, and the harder foam was unforgiving.

I have my Breedlove Legacy FF with ToneGard in a Travelite case. There is a rectangle of padding in the top of the bridge end of the case. It's relatively soft and I only push the top down about a half-inch to close the case and it seems to hold nicely without too much pressure.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I just replaced the factory hardshell that came with my mandolin with an Eastman fiberglass case from Elderly and was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and accommodation size-wise for my f-5 with a tone-gard. One drawback which has been noted many times before on this site is the lack of storage. It's a small price to pay for a decent fiberglass case saving 600$ off a Carlton. I own a decent mando but only paid that for it used, I can't justify a case that costs more than I paid for my mandolin. ( Even though it's a 1600$ new I still could never see myself spending that on a case. Look around, there are a lot of god ones out there, but I must give you my two cents as far as protection goes the fiberglass usually have it all over a hard-shell foam or plywood case any day.

I finally bought a Gator case, it feels cheaper than the TKL, but there's just enough depth for the Tone-Gard and just enough room on the sides for fitting the strap that I just bought. Also, a bit more storage room, but the thing I really like is the shoulder strap. I missed that from my old gig bag a few years ago.

Now I just have to find a buyer for this TKL case, in order to bring down the number of cases in my bedroom from 8 to 7...

Thanks for your replies!

Hiscox for sure.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Blog Entries

I finally bought a Gator case, it feels cheaper than the TKL, but there's just enough depth for the Tone-Gard and just enough room on the sides for fitting the strap that I just bought. Also, a bit more storage room, but the thing I really like is the shoulder strap. I missed that from my old gig bag a few years ago.
    Yup, that's what I'm using for my F9 with tone guard, armrest and pickguard. They all fit safely snug, but not painfully tight. Styrofoam will "remember" the fitting and the tone guard fit will get better over time. You can safely hasten that by firmly pressing the tone guard (removed from the mandolin) with your fingers, impressing the styrofoam in the area where the tone guard will be when it is on the mandolin in the case.

I was also able to get my TKL fitting well by doing the same finger-pressure thing, btw, so now I use that case for my MK F-style which also has a tone guard, armrest and pickguard.

The ABS Gator case is deceptively safe. In a severe concussion, the ABS plastic of the case will give and if necessary break, in doing so absorbing the pressure so your mandolin doesn't have to. Don't ask how I kinow...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160605_083633.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	536.8 KB 
ID:	154608
    (My first Gator case gave its life for my F9.)

Now I just have to find a buyer for this TKL case, in order to bring down the number of cases in my bedroom from 8 to 7...
    No, no no... That's the wrong approach. Your task is now to acquire another mandolin to fit in the TKL case.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I had no trouble getting an F or an A sporting a ToneGuard in a Hoffee or Price case. Workd well. I downsized to a Superior fiberglass case, and found that the extra depth the TG requires caused the lid to squeeze the mandolin (A5 Kimble) and the latches weren't as secure as I like.

So I sold it and bought a zipper Gator Cordura-covered hard foam case. It's light, offers all the protection I need, and the mandolin sits perfectly in it with the TG on. Not fancy or high-zoot, but it works for me.

I've got three different cases that all fit an F style mandolin with tone-gard, in order of quality/level of protection:
    - kinda cheapo TKL hardshell
    - pretty decent Superior hardshell
    - a no-name ABS made in China

Another Post was about the TG fitting an F5 in a new Eastman FG case.

I have a TG on my 1922 A4, in it's original case, and F5 in a Pegasus. FWIW..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use a Guardian, which works well with a tone grad and McClung arm rest. Snug but not tight.

JMTCW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

I have a Weber Bitterroot F with ToneGuard. It fits well in my Travelite. It is snug!
    AKA "golfunit"

Blog Entries

I just take my ToneGuard off.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

16. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    I just take my ToneGuard off.
    I have one of the new Collings vintage cases which my mando fits in perfectly with no room to spare. I was taking the toneguard off and storing it in the pouch of the colorado case cover that my case is in but it got bent, so I started just carrying it seperately when I played out. After reading this thread, I thought about buying a different case. The problem is that I really love the collings case. I think it protects my mando the best because there is no extra room for it to move, plus the neck and headstock are completely suported (It's like my mandolin was used to make the mold for the case),it's small , light, and I think it is the coolest looking mandolin case by far. All that plus the fact that it cost me an arm and a leg and I really like simple made me decide to just stop using the toneguard altogether.