Thread: Shipping mandolins to Mexico

Default Shipping mandolins to Mexico

Hello, everyone. I recently made the transition to living on a boat in Mexico, but it seems the dreaded MAS has followed me.

I see several instruments on the Cafe that are tempting, and am curious if anyone has experience in shipping instruments to Mexico. Are there special forms, duties, or other issues? I suppose waiting until I visit the states or someone visits me are the simplest options, but I would appreciate any info or experience you could share. Thanks.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Default Re: Shipping mandolins to Mexico

It may depend on the price of the instrument. I believe you need an export license to ship an instrument valued at more than $2,500 to any other country.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

The new CITES regulations regarding international shipping of anything containing wood of the endangered Dalbergia genus (rosewood, cocobolo, African blackwood, etc) might come into play here.

Why not take the boat up to the US, have the instruments shipped to you there, then head back south of the border? ;-)
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

My wife is from Chihuahua Mexico, and she just makes a face whenever their postal system comes up in conversation. When we need to get things to family farther south than Juarez, which is right across the border from El Paso, we give it to family to drive it down when they are going. I used to send her letters and it would take forever to reach her. I don't know if there are other services that deliver down there, but the Mexican postal system is slow and unreliable in my experience.

Thanks for the replies. I think you have pretty much confirmed my suspicions that the best option is probably pick something up in the states. I'll look at my next trip north, which is likely May. Sailing is not an attractive option, as it is about 1000 miles upwind from here. As they say, nothing goes to windward like a 747.

Paul, nice to hear from you. I also play Irish flute and whistle, and the same issues arise. I have an order in with Solen Lesouef for a mopane Eb, and I guess I'll be asking her to ship to US relatives.