Thread: Free Seattle area Western Swing workshops

Default Free Seattle area Western Swing workshops

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NWWSMS Workshop Application.pdf 
Views:	135 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	152923

Learn to play Western Swing!

The Northwest Western Swing Music Society (NWSMS) is providing scholarships for an upcoming series of Western Swing workshops. This is a very cool thing that the NWWSMS has decided to do to help promote Western Swing music: Scholarship recipients will receive FREE lessons/workshops on playing Western Swing between now and a to-be-scheduled student/instructor dance in late March or early April. I’ll be teaching the electric mandolin workshops; there are other instructors teaching guitar, fiddle, steel, bass, keyboard/accordion.

• I’ll give a few one-on-one lessons to each electric mandolin player plus 2 one-hour group workshops if needed.
    • As a condition of the scholarship you need to commit to playing for a western swing dance to be held in the Seattle area in late March or early April (exact date TBD). The band for that dance will be the combined instructors and students from the workshops.
    • My goal is to help players who are interested in chording, soloing and filling (playing behind the vocalist) in the Western Swing style. I’ll have each person to pick at least one or more of the tunes that the dance band will play to solo/fill on. Those will be ‘your tunes’ at the dance and you’ll do all the electric mandolin work. If you want to sing a song, that will work as the tune.
    • All the instruction will be at my house in north Seattle or at Hammond Ashley Violins in Issaquah

This plan is tentative and I’m willing to modify it as necessary.

To apply for the workshops/instruction send a copy of the completed attached form to the NWWSMS (address on the attached form above) or contact me and I'll help.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, suggestions, etc. You can also feel free to forward this to other electric players you think might be interested. Contact me through either web site listed in my signature.

If you don’t have an electric mandolin but still want to participate, you can use my Mann EM5 and amp for the dance.

This is not for beginning players, but any intermediate or above player who has a desire to learn Western Swing is welcome. No previous jazz experience required.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Free Seattle area Western Swing workshops

The application is at the top of my previous post.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Blog Entries

How about some basic information:

• Actual dates of the workshops: month, day
    • Actual locations, addresses
    • Web site for event information

That would allow it to be listed in the Workshops/Camps page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    How about some basic information:

• Actual dates of the workshops: month, day
    • Actual locations, addresses
    The date for the dance-performance is to be determined. The "workshops" will be individual instruction with me beginning in late January or early February and will be determined on a case by case basis. There may be a group practice before the performance-dance, but that is to be to be determined by the participants and instructors.

The location for the dance is TBA. For individual lessons at my house in north Seattle or Hammond Ashley Violins in Issaquah. Sorry I can't be more specific, but the instructors are working one on one with folks, then putting them together.

This is a great, FREE apportunity to learn this great music!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

The dance will be April 1 in north Seattle, 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. Lake City Eagles club.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chords - Essemtial Western Swing Voicings.pdf 
Views:	123 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	153030

For those who can't attend the workshop, I am going to post the material here.

This PDF file has what to me are THE essential chord voicings for Western Swing. If you know these 7 shapes and can move them to any key, you should be fine with almost any Western Swing piece that will get called. RARELY do I hear any chords except 6th, dominant seven, minor seven and diminished. Two ways of doing all these (except diminished) are given here.

I try to get people to learn 4 string chord voicings in the beginning so they can hear how one 4 note voicing moves to the next 4 note voicing. These voicings as a group of four do this well (C6 C#o Dm7 G7) (G6 G#o Am7 D7). If you want to just play the bottom 3 notes in each, that is fine, but you won’t hear how all 4 voices move that way. Thus my suggestion to learn 4 note chords.

Hope this helps you find your inner Tiny Moore/Johnny Gimble. Maybe a bit of Paul Glasse thrown in for good measure!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

The deadline to apply is end of January, so please enroll if you can. A great cheap way to learn a great music style!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

ex umbris et imaginibus Woodrow Wilson's Avatar

I miss Seattle... six years, and I moved away, why? Thanks for adding another reason to move back! :P