Thread: MandoCaster- Unknown Manufacturer /Year

Gatman45

Question MandoCaster- Unknown Manufacturer /Year

Hello Everyone,
    I have a question, maybe someone can help me.
    I bought a MandoCaster on ebay and the ebay seller didn't know anything about it because they bought it at an estate auction.

It was stripped completely of all of it's hardware. It is just a Body & neck.

I can not find a trademark branding anywhere. I have taken the neck off and checked the neck pocket for a possible manufacturer logo/branding, but there isn't any. The neck has never been off the body since it was originally built. (I could tell by the sawdust that was still in the neck pocket from the neck screws) . It has a Morgan Monroe headstock, but the logo is missing. The paint is all original.

Is it possible to find the maker and/or year on this? Is this a fake unlicensed copy?
    Any information leading me in the right direction to find the maker & year would help.
    Thanks,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front view.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	454.5 KB 
ID:	152728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	152729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	152730

Default Re: MandoCaster- Unknown Manufacturer /Year

Nobody would fake a Morgan Monroe instrument. Just did a quick search. The MM is an imported instrument that probably comes in under a few different brand names and some with no brand name at all.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I hope you didn't pay much for it, because the same instrument, branded with any one of at least half a dozen different names, is available cheaply. Brands include Harley Benton, Eastwood, Revelation, Morgan Monroe, Alden and Clearwater. The Harley Benton is only 111 Euros on Thomann.de, though it has a slightly different shape headstock.

rm

Except for the sunburst on my Morgan Monroe, everything on your black finished mando is exactly the same as mine. All of the screw holes and even the impressions left by the tuning machines are identical. They came out of some contract manufacturing shops in China. It's nearly impossible to identify what the brand name is/was. The original electronics are not great but it's a great little platform for hot rodding with all of the hardware, pickups, etc. available on the market. What do you plan to do with it? I hope you got it cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	152825

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Jan-08-2017 at 12:21pm.