Thread: please help identify this mandocello from a German Site

Default please help identify this mandocello from a German Site

Hi all. I caught this online while looking at mandocellos. Still waiting on feed back on the new gold tone, but in the mean time,,,,I found this on a german website. even after translating the page, I can not make out the manufacturer, or if its a mandocello. Anyway, I am looking for one that has the built in pickup like this. Not necessarily one shaped like this. But i thought the plugged in sound was tremendous.

So, can anyone tell me the brand of this? And if there is anything close to it I can by here in the states if this one is not for sale here?

http://en.folkfriends.com/mandocello...version,i3.htm

Thanks1
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Default Re: please help identify this mandocello from a German Site

Don't know, but a great demo of it, it sounds great. Looks like the generic Chinese style instruments made by Ashbury.

I found their video demo far more useful,than that awful Gold tone video. Actually showing you what it can do, and a terrific unplugged sound.

Rob

3. The following members say thank you to ukrobbiej for this post:

I'd contact them, many German people speak excellent English and this shop also ships internationally. Looks like a nice instrument at a good price.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandocarver for this post:

Thanks. I did filll out the online form.

I am really interested in a low c tuned instrument I like a deep low c string. The goldtone is affordable but no one has it in stock, and the demo did not show off all its sounds Although the goldtone looks cool, I would easily consider this standard shape in order to get the sound I want plugged in Are there any other makes inshould look into to?

Here's another possibility of mandocelli made in Portugal. three mandocelli. Somewhat similar the German site one. Made by APC a company which has gotten decent reviews here for less expensive instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks for the link. I have them a look. Seem similar, but no pickups. I could always add one. I am hoping to hear from the company I emailed yesterday.

Heiner Dreizehnter makes something similar he calls the "large bodied Irish bouzouki". It comes fitted with an internal pickup. http://www.acoustic-guitars.de/index...s/irish-family

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    Heiner Dreizehnter makes something similar he calls the "large bodied Irish bouzouki". It comes fitted with an internal pickup. http://www.acoustic-guitars.de/index...s/irish-family

They look great! But with no prices. My guess is if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Agree, very nice video demonstrating its capabilities, and it sounded pretty good! I'm intrigued by the GT version as well, though I think I'll wait on some reviews on here before I take the plunge. It's hard to tell from the GT video what it's really capable of...
    Chuck

The main difference to consider is the different modes of stringing. The German store has one that has a pin-bridge like a guitar whereas the APC (Portuguese) instruments are strung like standard mandolins with a movable bridge. I wonder about the tension of those heavier strings and which mode of stringing would be preferable or if it makes any difference.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I saw the guitar one. Still waiting on a response from the company

heard back today from the store. I am going with the guitar bouzouki. its actually tuned like an octave mandolin. They had dome concerns about new legislation involving certain types of rosewood and other endangered woods being shipped, but hope its not an issue for me. FWIW, they are made in china and spruced up at their shop in hamburg germany. Once it arrives I will be sure to give you all a look.

17. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

derbex