Thread: Pickguard or not?

Default Pickguard or not?

I have a couple of Gibson (An F5-G and an Adam Steffey Signature)...as well as a early 70's Alvarez F style. Only the Alvarez has a Pick guard. Perhaps due to my sloppy style - or poor hand strength - but I've worn the finish near the f-hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170101_152532.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	646.1 KB 
ID:	152651

I've hesitated getting a Pick Guard installed on the Gibson but see how I've "ruined" the face of the instrument already. So much for being a purist and trying to not ruin the authenticity of it with a guard.

What's the prevailing opinion on pic guards...especially on high price mandolins?
    (Thank you folks - I'm new to this forum but am impressed with the mandolin-family respect I've seen here!)

Default Re: Pickguard or not?

I personally do not like them, basically for the looks.

Uh-oh, here we go again...opinions are remarkably strong on this seemingly innocent question. I too am a non-adherent to the pickguard club....only it turns out its not really a pickguard, unless it is...http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Style-Mandolin

For what it's worth, Bill Monroe didn't give a flip what it looked like. He played the damn thing.

Name:	monroesmandolinface-large.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	152652

Name:	73987_pre_vandalism.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	152653

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Blog Entries

I see it as part of the design of the instrument. If a pick guard came with the instrument, I keep it. If the instrument did not originally have a pick guard, I forego it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Loar's came with pickguard, as did most, if not all early Gibsons. I have them on all of my mandolins, but I neither plant a finger nor scratch the pickguards with the pick. Aesthetics only. Ymmv
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I'm speaking from not much mandolin experience, so my opinion is only worth what you paid for it, but here goes.

Not everyone plants a finger or fingers on the instrument; many do. If you are one who plants a finger and you care a great deal about preserving the soundboard as well as lessening any damping effect your touch on the soundboard may have, then by all means install a pick/scratch/rub guard. End of story.

There have been some who have believed that a pick guard covering part of the top will compromise some of the sound or volume of the instrument. I don't believe that would happen in any appreciable measure, if at all. But, touching, rubbing, pushing against the top with your fingers is much more likely to affect the sound or volume. A pick guard might help prevent that, as well as wear to the top.

People who do not plant against the top, or who simply do not care, have no incentive that I can see to add a pick guard, unless maybe they like the aeshtetics.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

It might be possible to a) (if nitro) have that refinished so it's relatively invisible and b)cover the relatively flat worn spot with a static cling piece of plastic e.g. https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...rotection-361/

Also wonder how you can spread out the wear like Adam Steffey's Daley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4-TpcMBI8

I'm having a pickguard put on 1 of 3 to begin with (one of these: http://hillcountrystringworks.com/pickguard2.html. I think the PG and armrest give me, as a light pinkie planter, better RH position.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I am not a fan of pickguards for aesthetic reasons, but then I have never touched an instrument top with a pick.
    In this case, with damage already done to the finish and more damage to be expected to the wood, I'd install one, though: cancel the past and block the future in one shot.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I kinda like them, if tastefully done...but it may come off tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GilNug2.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	152665  

I fail to see what the principle of having or not having a pickguard (or for that matter a scroll) has to do with aesthetics.

For me, its much the same as drinking coffee with or without milk/sugar - it's entirely a personal matter. ....although I would question why this is in the eBay section?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Depends on the player. Some like them, some don't. I don't use them because it doesn't feel right. Others can't play without it. But I would never let aesthetics dictate my playing style.
    Living’ in the Mitten

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ...aesthetics.

...entirely a personal matter.
    Is this a dichotomy? I have always seen aesthetics as a perfectly personal matter, even if they're described mathematically (e.g. symmetry is absolute, but liking or not liking it is not).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

16. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

but then I have never touched an instrument top with a pick.
    You know, I don't think very many people have. The one time I measured, it was at least 3/4" from the strings to the top of my mando. You'd have to be strumming like Richie Havens to actually hit the top with a pick. No, I think the vast majorty of the damage we see is from the pinky nail.

I've come over to the JeffD camp on this one. If it's there, I don't take it off. My longtime daily player came without, but my newbie (Northfield) came with. Didn't think I would like it at first, but it's really grown on me, both aesthetically and as a reference point while playing.
    Mitch Russell

I was always struck by the amount of wear on Grisman's fern, especially on the face of the scroll. Knowing that he is a technique guy, repeatedly hitting that area with the pick seemed unlikely. Perhaps it was fingernail-caused or microphone rash. That can indeed occur, as Josh Williams' Gilchrist demonstrates. And Wakefield's Loar suffered drastic finger wear on the top below the E string, so much so that he finally had either a short p/g installed or a clear covering. Frank's damage was caused by dragging his pinky on the top, over decades of playing a lot.

I prefer a pick guard. It seems to help my reference point and avoid pick noise. As a banjo player, I'm used to feeling something under the ring and pinkie fingers of my right hand. I don't plant them like the banjo but they touch. It also keeps me from scratching the top and I sometimes use a clip on mic connected to the pick guard.
    Cheers!

I prefer the look without a pickguard. I'm not a pinky planter per se, but I will occasionally catch myself brushing it when strumming. I had a cheap A/E Fender that had a guard on it, and I got used to it pretty easily, though, so if, say, Alan gave me his Gil, I'd leave the guard in place
    Chuck

Thank you Mark - best summary yet! I do rest my finger - again, an amatuer style for sure - but hate seeing the face damaged like it is. I'll start saving up for a pick guard!

Thanks Ray - I guess I as bad at using this (new to me) Mandocafe forum for the first time as I am at managing my pinky! Forgive?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hey Ginzodude, don't be down on yourself. Resting your finger is a style among many, but definitely not 'an amateur style'. Many of the leading professional players do the same. It's a personal style that you share with many other players. And as for posting the question in the "wrong" forum, don't worry too much about it. Within the first month of posting here, I got jumped for posting blues stuff in old time forum, or something similar, plus a few other posting faux pas posts. It can make you feel a little foolish when it gets pointed out, but all in all this is a very friendly place and such small things are not worth thinking too much about. Welcome to the forum.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

I just traded a mandolin for an ES 339 and he had removed the pick guard. I put it back on because I tend to plant my pinky playing it. I'd prefer a pick guard to damage and some pick guards look really nice if it's the right material.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I don't plant, but like a guard, I let my fingers brush the guard as my hand moves. It helps to keep pick depth for me and for accuracy. I can play well without and occasionally do, but prefer to use the guard.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

27. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I no longer use them, but in my mind, there are two reasons to have them: 1) You play so hard you scratch the top and you choose to protect it. Personally, I don't understand how people play so hard they scratch the top, but obviously a lot of great players, even Bill Monroe, did. 2) You prefer to plant, or brush your fingers on a platform and a pickguard works for you as a platform. I think that may tend to anchor you to one picking position, but most people seem to only pick in one general area anyway. There are some really good players that pick all the way from in front of the bridge to over the 12th fret to get different tones and I think they might not have as much use for a pickguard.

I have had very qualified instructors say I should never use one and I had an extremely qualified instructor, a 50+ year professional player who was the leader of a mandolin orchestra, insist I use one. I worked really hard weaning myself off of using one and then I had to get used to using one again! I don't think pickguards have much effect on the sound, especially the abbreviated ones. So it's all in what you want to do, where you see yourself going with the instrument.

29. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post: