Thread: Getting started with the mandolin suggestions

Default Getting started with the mandolin suggestions

I did get a Washburn Mandolin for Christmas and could use some starter suggestions. I do play other instruments including guitar but could use suggestions. I'm old so be gentle! Thanks all Ron

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting started with the mandolin suggestions

Good place to start.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

mandolessons.com . Baron has a whole series of free lessons plus lots of how-to's of tunes. Many of us Newbies get a lot of good stuff from Baron.

Also, as a Newbie myself, I invite you to take a look at our 'Newbies' social group here at the cafe. You can find us by clicking on the 'Listen/Learn' item on the menu near the top of the page, then on 'Social Groups'. If you don't see Newbies on the page, enter Newbies in the search bar.

First make sure it is setup well so it plays easy and intonates well. A lot of mandolins play very hard when bought from anywhere that doesn't do a good setup before selling.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I'll second the be sure it has a good setup. I suspect as a guitar player you already know that but it's even more critical with the shorter scale, higher string tension, and my fingertips at least. Welcome to the Cafe and to having a mandolin, or as I like to call it, joy in your lap.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Another vote for ensuring your instrument is set up well. I bought mine from a store that said they set up all instruments, but after playing it for a couple months noticed that it didn't really stay in tune well, had intonation issues up the neck, and fingering in the first couple frets was difficult. I took it to a local luthier and had them do a full setup, and the difference was amazing. It'll cost $50-$75, but it's so worth it.

Also another vote for mandolessons.com. You'll be able to skim through the first few lessons, but there's a ton of good stuff there.

And, as another person coming to the mandolin from guitar/bass, don't try to think of the mandolin as an upside down/backwards guitar. Trying to translate guitar chords and scales is only going to slow you down. Learn the mandolin as a different instrument.

Finally, I have already found great help and advice here on the Café. It's a wealth of experience and knowledge in a friendly atmosphere.

Oh, and I almost forgot to add that the pieces here on the Cafe by pickloser on double stops, the blogs from Ted Eschliman and the videos by Pete Martin on ergonomics on his site are great places to start in the 'learning the mandolin as a separate instrument' category

Thanks for all your info. I will check out everything. This sounds like a good place to start. Ron
    Last edited by darticus; Dec-27-2016 at 3:41pm.

Welcome, check out Banjo Ben...I think he has a 20% discount running thru tonight. Check out his Facebook page, I'll see if I can find the link. Have fun!

I couldn't locate it, he runs a special around Thanksgiving and had one going before Christmas. In any case he has lots of videos on YT. There is plenty suggested in the prior posts that will keep you busy.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Dec-27-2016 at 3:19pm. Reason: Add info
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Jim1Hays

Aside from the setup, I recommend changing the original tuning mechanics to Garver. I have a Washburn M3 F body and it was a bear to tune as the gears would not hold some times and it would slip out of tune while playing. Since I had the Garvers installed, it is GREAT!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

My advice is to listen, listen,listen. Listen to as much mandolin music as you can, all genres. Get that sound and rhythm into your blood.
    I don't know why worm gear tuners should slip. Even the ones on my inexpensive mandolins hold just fine. Make sure the screw that holds the gear is snug. You can always change the tuning machines later if you feel it's necessary.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

all the above plus youtube has great content for mandolin. Lots for free, from basic to advanced. Learn to hold the mandolin properly (see Mike Marshall video) and get the right hand stroke and pic placement down early. DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU!

Wanted to try "Well respected man" by the KINKS but it sounds terrible in the lower G C Am position. Where would you play to get the guitar type positions? Suggestions Thanks Ron