Thread: 1915 Gibson F4 needs top crack repair.

Default 1915 Gibson F4 needs top crack repair.

Got a black F4 that dropped to floor causing a long top crack.

I was in great shape prior to this.

Who would you ask to do the repair?

It also needs the small headstock curlique glued back on and a refret/set-up.

I have been away from the mando world for a good while. Thinking Steve Gilchrist would not be interested in the job.

Default Re: 1915 Gibson F4 needs top crack repair.

Are you in Australia? Or shipping to another country not a problem? What about Gibson? (I sent my Weber back to Weber for my needed repairs. They did an excellent job of repairing it.) Little more info can help get better response/answers.

Location would be helpful. A rare and valuable mandolin needing major work would go to Gryphon, but I live close by. There are a few good luthiers I'd trust with the routine repairs like cracks, Gryphon of course being one of them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If you are where I think you are you are about two hours from Randy Wood.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for the replies,fellas.

I'm not in Australia.

Will post more when I get over this flu/pneumonia.

Just done a similar repair to a 1915 F4:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-DSCF3854.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	391.1 KB 
ID:	152493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-DSCF3888.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	152491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-DSCF4033.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	152490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-DSCF4045.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	152492

Note that a recent clean crack/break is way easier to fix than an old dirty crack - keep it clean and get it fixed pronto as it will require far less work and look cosmetically better than if it's left lying around for a few years...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Tavi: That's nice work. Thank you for saving a work of art!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Tavy, that is a fine repair!!

Tavy,nice work!

My F4 has exactly the same top crack. Mine is black top;no back crack.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Tavy,nice work!

My F4 has exactly the same top crack. Mine is black top;no back crack.
    It tends to be the thinnest part of the top along there, plus if it gets a knock on the bridge that's where the force goes. The good news is that from a cosmetic point of view, a black top is probably going to be the easiest to touch up if it requires it.

BTW were there any F4's with black tops from new? I thought they were all red (or later, sunburst). Of course Gibson were always offering finish "upgrades"?

There were some pumpkin tops also. I believe one was for sale a few months ago. Mandolin Bros also had a killer one but way over priced.

Tavy, the back crack on that F-4 looks(as you say) old and quite dirty- how did you get it to clean up so well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
    Tavy, the back crack on that F-4 looks(as you say) old and quite dirty- how did you get it to clean up so well?
    It looked way worse than it was - most of the dirt was on the surface and came off with some clean water and an old toothbrush to scrub with, more came off with a bit of micromesh. It helped a lot that the back was thin and flexible there so I could expose each face of the crack in turn just by flexing the back. There were several other areas which looked like cracks but were actually just scrapes on the finish, again micromesh followed by a really good clean of the old finish and good buff up did the trick much better than I expected.

The instrument has an interesting history too: was apparently played in a Russian orchestra in Paris pre-WWII (does this mean anything to anyone?), but I believe hasn't been played post-war. For most of that time it's hung on various walls, in various homes, in art galleries, played with by children as a toy, and always unrecognised for what it was. The worst damage was to the top, which as well as the large crack, had a chunk of top missing where the corner of the bridge had excavated a small hole: it had evidently taken a heck of a bang on the bridge at some point, and was then left strung up despite the damage (it was only an ornament after all!).

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    The instrument has an interesting history too: was apparently played in a Russian orchestra in Paris pre-WWII (does this mean anything to anyone?), but I believe hasn't been played post-war. For most of that time it's hung on various walls, in various homes, in art galleries, played with by children as a toy, and always unrecognised for what it was.
    This is a pretty amazing teaser of a story, John. I've seen "The Red Violin" and read "Accordion Crimes" and so am a bit of a sucker for this kind of story line.

An F-4 in Europe pre WW2 is one thing, curious enough, but a Parisian / Russian "orchestra"?--maybe Victor has something to toss in?

My colleague here at the university keeps his F-4 in his office so I get to play it regularly. Oh my.

Anything else on the progeny of this amazing mandolin? The fact that you have done your Lazarus thing with it is only more fascinating for me.

Nothing Simple Your Way Comes, eh?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

My black top F4(original finish) I purchased from Elderly ca.1992. It came in the original hard shell case with gold-colored initials on the headstock part of the case which looks to me like "JDU". It is written in fancy cursive;might be "TDU".

Often wondered if JDU was the original owner as the mandolin was in extremely clean condition(until its time with me!) I showed it to some collectors at a CoMando Gathering once and the label was so clean that one of the guys thee thought it might have been a replacement or fake label(?)

I feel ashamed that I am the one,after a century of good care,to have caused this damage. So,I want to get it fixed as well as it can be. It still has original everything as far as I can tell(frets etc.)

Hoping the sweet tone is still there after its repair.

The red colored back of my F4 has the best curly maple I have seen on this model. Glad the back was not damaged.

I have contacted a forum member here to discuss the repair but have not made a final decision.

I'm surprised Gail Hester hasn't been mentioned for the repair.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I have a 1913 F4 is almost perfect condition. I only play it in my home with no unusual risks for damage.

I also have a 1958 A5 (Jethro) it pretty rough shape. It has a nasty, dirty back crack like the one Tavy repaired, some top cracks and deep dings, warped and separated braces, a badly repaired headstock break, and missing and painted over bindings. I would love to have it restored, but it is an A5: probably not worth the effort. It sits near my desk at work for breaks. (I play breaks during breaks.)
    Last edited by Jack Roberts; Jan-06-2017 at 1:35pm.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I agree with you Mick! What a cool story!
    Sometimes these things remind me of a line from one of my favorite westerns "The Cowboys"
    Jebodiah Nightlinger tells a story about his ancestry, one of the boys asks if it's true his response is....
    "If it isn't, it ought to be!"

Jack, if you like it and a restoration would make you happy, get it done, why not. Ugly dogs need love too!

BTW, still looking for a replacement toaster Mick!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Tavy,not sure about top finishes available in the 'teens' but I have,in addition to the black top F4,an A4 teens,and two Loar-era A-style snakeheads with black tops. I like black top mandolins. Also a teens H2 mandola black top.

Anybody had any experience with mandolin repairs at Carter Vintage Guitars?