Thread: Cross picking suggestions?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Cross picking suggestions?

I've just started looking into cross picking on my mandolin (and tenor banjo) and was wondering if people here have any recommended resources for learning this technique. I did do a search here on the cafe and got lots of examples, but not much on learning. Thanks.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Cross picking suggestions?

I'm gonna say something before Jordan Ramsey does, because whatever he says about crosspicking is true.

First of all, slow, relaxed, and even. Let the speed come naturally over time, practice getting evenly-spaced notes.

2nd, I find that using rest strokes when doing two consecutive up strokes is helpful.

Andy

Ask Jordan Ramsey. He's on this forum.

Blog Entries

I started with this from Ben Clark:

Crosspicken on mandolin is basically mimicking a banjo roll, and the most important thing is keep the time the same between each note. We have a tendacy to do 1,2,3, I've finished now so I'll start again. That makes 1,2,3. 1,2,3. 1,2,3. Instead of 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3. What banjo players call a gallop instead of a roll. What helped me get the rhythm in my head and fingers was the first few measures of the old Glen Miller song. In The Mood. If you play that correctly you are playing a roll just don't stop when the song does keep it going.

The Jesse McReynolds crosspicking pattern is (basically!):

EADE ADED EADE ADED - etc.

up up down up - up down up down - up up down up - up down up down - etc.

use the E string as an open drone, regardless of the tune's key, play the melody on the D & A strings, going as far up the neck as necessary to get the notes

That's all there is to it ()! Couple hours a day practice for a few years should get you there.

NOTES - Jesse breaks the pattern whenever he feels it appropriate to do so

- other people crosspick other ways

- there's no law saying you have to crosspick any particular way

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jesse McReynold's dvd is a good place to start, then Mickey Cochran's book. Jack Tottle's bluegrass method has a section on the subject and Andy Statman has written an excellent book but it is sadly out of print.

Blog Entries

It is an exhausting technique. I think it might be aerobic.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by maudlin mandolin View Post
    Jesse McReynold's dvd is a good place to start, then Mickey Cochran's book. Jack Tottle's bluegrass method has a section on the subject and Andy Statman has written an excellent book but it is sadly out of print.
    Hey, Andy Statman's book, "Bluegrass Masters: Jesse McReynolds Mandolin (Paperback)" is available used on Amazon - for between $126-$351. Gotta love Amazon's competitive pricing bot for used books. You'd think that if copies were actually selling at those prices (which I doubt), it would be worth reprinting.
    2005 Weber Yellowstone f-style oval in "desert dawn" - no name yet but a she.
    1927 Gibson F4, "Mata Hari"
    2004 Eastman 604 "Belle"
    2001 Martin 0015 mahogany - no name yet, but a he.
    1875-ish Hungarian fiddle ("Uncle Bill") that I can play about half a tune on. Some day.....

I would second the recommendation of the Tottle book. While it is an overall mandolin book, he has several cross picking tunes (including Wildwood Flower) and a discussion of the technique - enough to get you a good start. The Statman book is the gold standard and goes much, much deeper, but don't underestimate the Tottle book (And I got a used Tottle for $6, whereas the Statman one goes for over $100...).

I find that cross picking as an effect is very effective. A whole tune crosspicked gets tiresome to my ear.
    Whats my point? Don't worry about grabbing an entire crosspicking arrangement rather steal some licks and insert.

I suggest checking out Emory Lester's website. I took a workshop with him where he taught some basic cross-picking and it was a great way to learn it. He's a wonderful teacher and a really good cross-picker.

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    The Jesse McReynolds crosspicking pattern is (basically!):

EADE ADED EADE ADED - etc.

up up down up - up down up down - up up down up - up down up down - etc.

NOTES - Jesse breaks the pattern whenever he feels it appropriate to do so

- other people crosspick other ways

- there's no law saying you have to crosspick any particular way
    I beg to differ. The Jesse McReynolds/Statman book defines Jesse's basic roll as:

down up up down up up down up

The first down is on the D string, the first up is on the E string. The complete sequence with strings written below the pick strokes is:

d u u d u u d u
    D E A D E A D E

Almost every solo in the book starts with a down stroke. There are some exceptions. Starting on a down stroke is going to be a stronger sound than starting with an up.

I do agree that he also has many variations and advanced rolls. Of course people have their own variations that sound great, such as Tim O'Brien (I have no idea what how he does it).

Somebody really ought to reissue the Statman book or release it to the public domain so we can copy it legally.

Quote Originally Posted by LillianBelle View Post
    Hey, Andy Statman's book, "Bluegrass Masters: Jesse McReynolds Mandolin (Paperback)" is available used on Amazon - for between $126-$351. Gotta love Amazon's competitive pricing bot for used books. You'd think that if copies were actually selling at those prices (which I doubt), it would be worth reprinting.
    I have to admit I sold a copy for $150 a couple of years ago. The original cover price was
    $4.95.

Practice the rolls every night. It took me about a year to become somewhat smooth at it to a point where I would do it out in public.

It should not be exhausting.

Once you have a basic set of rolls like the McReynold's roll down then you can start variations like alternating rolls, ddu, skipping strings, mixing ddu and duu, etc. It is something that you can keep refining for as long as you continue playing.