Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverb?

Default Re: Reverb?

I ended up with one of these: https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...n-1964-natural (not actual guitar pictured), from a Cafe sponsor, rather than Reverb. The Cafe sponsor's price was competitive with anything comparable on Reverb.

Sorry about the plates, Tim, we already have double of everything around here, since I moved in with the "Brains of the Outfit."
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

2. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Awesome! These are some of my favorite Gibsons.
    Mitch Russell

4. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

jaycat 

i have a 1967 guild f 30, it's a great gigging guitar. versitile for both finger picking and flatpicking and a top tone. different from martin or gibson but in a good way. they are a bit over built so they are tough for going to raires and out door playing, pretty much weather resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    i have a 1967 guild f 30, it's a great gigging guitar. versitile for both finger picking and flatpicking and a top tone. different from martin or gibson but in a good way. they are a bit over built so they are tough for going to raires and out door playing, pretty much weather resistant.
    Yep, great workhorse guitar! Jaycat and I are serious Guild flag wavers! I still need to make a trip to Elderly for a new bridge on my D-25, nobody in town I have much faith in and it's too mundane to ask the guy I'd trust the most, he's busy with much more moneymaking projects!
    Hmm, I wonder if another guy who's pretty good might need some plates!?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Yep, great workhorse guitar! Jaycat and I are serious Guild flag wavers! I still need to make a trip to Elderly for a new bridge on my D-25, nobody in town I have much faith in and it's too mundane to ask the guy I'd trust the most, he's busy with much more moneymaking projects!
    Hmm, I wonder if another guy who's pretty good might need some plates!?
    I would say take it to the guy you trust the most, sometimes it's nice to have a little project to do while the glue is drying on larger projects, or just for something different.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Yep, great workhorse guitar! Jaycat and I are serious Guild flag wavers! I still need to make a trip to Elderly for a new bridge on my D-25
    Be careful or you might get tempted by one of the new D20/M20 models that Ren Ferguson has coming out of Oxnard!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Be careful or you might get tempted by one of the new D20/M20 models that Ren Ferguson has coming out of Oxnard!
    Thanks, but I am all set for now . . . hopefully . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"

i like most guilds but i love the sixties models. plus some seventies. i was just playing the f30 while considering restringing three guitars, it stood up well against a lowden (by s yairi), a hand made thompson, and a seventies larrivee. different but not worse. and it was a red sunburst. i bought it from a friend in vancouver. sight unseen. to scratch an old itch from having given away my f 20 to a talented kid. the f30 is more than a great replacement. i have played a few d 25's, arch back or flt back that were versitile cannons. good for finger picking and flat picking. that seems to be the guild sound. versitile. they show that mahagony is a great wood for back and sides. lowden makes some great mahagony guitars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    No temptation for me, I don't have room or funding or any real desire, I'm not playing what I have around enough to consider additional instruments! I wish I was in a position to get one of those new Guilds! Mine is the arched back series and it's not "soft spoken" in the least.

I had a friend with an F-20, what a cool guitar, another guy had a D-50, there were a bunch sold around here back in the mid-late 70's, many happy players still enjoying them!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

One hour performance for two ads placed around noon our time:

656 views of the hotshot Ellis mandolin
    306 views of the $500 Appollonio Octave

Doubt we'd do well on Jasperware plates but maybe there's an opening here we're just not taking advantage of.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

me i'm looking at lowdens avalons and a few hand made guitars, which all look great, but are they really better than what i have? oh well it keeps me busy, i don't drink, gamble, do drugs or run around, gotta have a vice,

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

I'd say that the Cafe is a good place (if not THE best place) to buy and sell an instrument. Kinda hard to bet the quality of what is here.

16. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    I'd say that the Cafe is a good place (if not THE best place) to buy and sell an instrument. Kinda hard to bet the quality of what is here.
    not only are there great things om mudcat but most sellers(and buyers) are honest decent people. never had a problem on mudcat.

having said that i bought a ted thompson super jumbo from reverb after mulling dithering and watching. the lowdens i liked were too expensive. thompsom makes a great guitar and i always wanted one of his jumbos. this one even comes with a calton case, not played a lot so will need some breaking in. the seller got me when he threw in the calton case for free. i was almost ready to jump but that did it. hard to find any jumbo case but a calton is great. $2150 usd total with shipping, for a guitar that would be $4000 usd new plus case. so i have the jumbo i was seeking, we'll see if it fills the hole. i'll keep people posted how the rest of the deal goes but the seller is a canadian businessman. i talked to him on the phone and he seems ok.

No temptation for me, I don't have room or funding or any real desire, I'm not playing what I have around enough to consider additional instruments! I wish I was in a position to get one of those new Guilds! Mine is the arched back series and it's not "soft spoken" in the least.

I had a friend with an F-20, what a cool guitar, another guy had a D-50, there were a bunch sold around here back in the mid-late 70's, many happy players still enjoying them!
    those arch back d 25s boom, one of the hidden gems of vintage guitars.

19. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

I've played one of both the new mahogany top models. The M-20 is really good. Better than my old (new) 00-15.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    I've played one of both the new mahogany top models. The M-20 is really good. Better than my old (new) 00-15.
    Funny, Josh, I recently bought the first Oxnard M20 I found used at a reasonable depreciation to replace a D55 I once reluctantly offered up in trade.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

For others, that D55 ended up with me. Appreciated, since that taught me what Guilds can do. My favorite guitars now.

23. The following members say thank you to jdchapman for this post:

What the hell, since we are waxing eloquent on the subject of Guilds, here's a photo of me (in younger days, with more hair) and my beloved 1960 T-50.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guild1a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	154589

Good Grief! Jaycat, now I'm going to have to dig out an old picture of me with the aforementioned D-25!
    There's an old shot of me in a GHS string ad, let me see if I can find that photo! I had lots of hair back then!
    Timothy F. Lewis