Thread: Andrew Mowry article in the new American Lutherie Magazine

Default Andrew Mowry article in the new American Lutherie Magazine

The new issue of American Lutherie Magazine has a great article featuring Andrew Mowry and his detailed approach to mandolin building. This is the first of two articles from our joint workshop at the last Guild of American Luthier's Convention. Outstanding work; thanks for sharing Andrew.

The next issue will cover my part of the workshop including a detailed overview of the removable top and back plate testing jig that I use to tune and voice the instrument and my dovetail jig that turned the process from a frustrating, mediocre joint that took half a day to one that is crisp, clean, extremely tight and precise, and takes all of 15 minutes without using a cnc.

The next convention is coming up in July; 'my favorite one in the country!

j.
    www.condino.com
    Last edited by j. condino; Dec-21-2016 at 6:25pm.

2. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Default Re: Andrew Mowry article in the new American Lutherie Magazine

removable top and back plate testing jig
    Ahhh the secrets are revealed.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    The next issue will cover my part of the workshop including a detailed overview of the removable top and back plate testing jig that I use to tune and voice the the instrument and my dovetail jig that turned the process from a frustrating, mediocre joint that took half a day to one that is crisp, clean, extremely tight and precise, and takes all of 15 minutes without using a cnc. j.
    Would you mind spilling something about the jig for us non US guys without access to the Magazine?
    Adrian

That's an ironic request from the guy who freaked out at me about intellectual property rights and posting things on the internet when I contacted you about your blueprints trying to get you some free magazine publicity a few years ago.

Here you go Adrian, a video of the dovetail jig in use. I submitted this to several US companies trying to get it mass produced and easily accessible to everyone....but being run by guitar nerds, they all blew it off as irrelevant and unimportant!

https://vimeo.com/149088032

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Nice jig, James. I think I need one.

Adrian, becoming a member of the Guild of American Luthiers is a Good Thing, and the conventions are great fun. Membership is around 60 euros a year, and I can't remember a year when I didn't get my money's worth. One idea that will save a couple of hours makes it worthwhile.

Cheers

Thanks James, looking forward to the new issue of the GAL.

Nice jig. Looks like you have a Macceferri in the background waiting for a new neck.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Dec-21-2016 at 10:55pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

That jig is a great idea. I spend the better part of a day getting the wings to fit by hand. I would buy one of those jigs if they ever become available.
    Do you use the same radius for your F style mandolins James?
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I just joined GAL after reading this thread. Not sure how I missed knowing about it all this time?

I'll second that....the jig is a great idea James and thanks very much for posting the video link. I look forward also to the article in the next GAL American Lutherie magazine.

The best ideas are often the most straightforward and you have really hit on something here.

Thinking about how I might make that jig without access to CNC. I could turn up a 1.9 in. radius cylinder of aluminium (I have an old non-CNC screwcutting lathe), and mill out the dovetail slot. Then make some sort of device to hold the cylinder for the neck joint sanding process.....John
    Last edited by sprucetop1; Dec-22-2016 at 4:18am.

I too am thinking of how to build one without CNC. Could cut 1.9" radius circles on a table saw with a jig, cut them in half and glue them up along a board. Run a dovetail bit down the top center.
    I would need to change the shape of my body at the heel joint. I only build F5s and they are not a perfect radius at the neck joint.

It is not difficult; I made several using traditional woodworking machinery that worked great and took all of 1/2 hour to fabricate. A few years ago I had a number of my jigs mathematically cleaned up and master templates made on a cnc just to fine tune that last percent or two; this was one of them. I use the same radius on F5s to keep the process uniform.

Yes Charlie, that is a 1953 Maccaferri in the distance. The new neck is almost finished- a one piece solid rosewood made on my Strat jigs- a "Stratoferri" with a prototype pickup made by Mario himself that never was put into production. The street price on those old bodies has gone through the roof in the last couple of years; I got mine from a member here in trade for a box of ebony scraps sitting on the floor next to one of the saws.

I think I should have used the big Y30 snowflake bandsaw for that video instead of the 16" Walker Turner....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Andrew's article a few years back on F5 binding was extremely helpful to me... His Facebook page is worth checking out also.

That jig just got on my "to-do" list. The two hardest, most frustrating parts of building (for me anyway) are the dovetail and bending highly figured sides without cracking. This jig looks like the ticket out of one of those problems!
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your article, James!

16. The following members say thank you to amowry for this post:

Whilst not being a luthier myself,i do have a very great interest in 'how it's done'. However, when i saw the side wood on James' mandolin, i got more than a bit distracted - it looks stunning.
    What wood is it James ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, that is Brazilian rosewood. I've been using it very successfully paired with Ted Davis / John Arnold red spruce tops for the last several years.

The funny thing is that I waited three years to see what Andrew had to say. At the workshop, I opened up and presented about 1/2 of my ideas. Then I had a bit of handwork to do on a mandolin on the test rig, so I stepped outside and carved away out on the steps of the building while Andrew gave his presentation. When I came back in, Andrew was finished and I gave the second half of my part. For the rest of the week, I kept hearing folks talking about what Andrew spoke about, but couldn't piece it all together. That is one of the hazards of working at these great luthier's gatherings- you often miss out on all of your friend's presentations.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

I sent Andrew an e-mail to thank him for the article. It was perfect timing in that I'm a long time Guitar builder /rookie F5 builder and that article answered about a dozen questions I had. In fact the one e-mail ended up being about 4 and he was a complete (and patient) gentleman. Thanks to you as well Mr Condino.... that jig is a great idea. I do have a small CNC but I'm not savvy about 3d programming yet, so I think I'll make one with an old school router table and adjust with planes and scrapers.

I'll tell you, guitar dovetails are a piece of cake compared to these little beasts :-)

Thanks again : Karl