Thread: Floridectomy (mklfstb)

Default Floridectomy (mklfstb)

It was bound to happen. Yesterday it did. That's an old Exacto brand saw. 12-15 teeth/inch. Just a guess. Finer would've been better, but I had a rifle file kit poised for action. Just as well use them for the de-burring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD_01_rsz.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	152275
    No, I didn't use my piano for a work bench. I sat it there for the pictures.

Name:	FD_AFT_01_rsz.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	152276
    I used a Sharpy to black in the exposed tip. 4mm x 12mm rectangle. Hardly noticeable with the full binding.

Name:	FD_AFT_02_rsz.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	152277

Does it sound better? Yes! The whole problem was the incapability to "pick away."
    Now I may apply the plectrum in an acceptable fashion. (All the usual internet era disclaimers apply) This is not FaceBook. We, hopefully, are all adults here.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Floridectomy (mklfstb)

I appreciate that you didn't remove the strings for such major surgery! No need to make work out of it!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Why stop at Tampa? I woulda gone all the way to Jacksonville.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I just splorted my coffee.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

is that your blood on the towel?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    is that your blood on the towel?
    No. My music room has become the repository of ugly/mismatched terry towels.
    Rather than constantly casing my instruments, I've taken to throwing a towel over the strings, as a dust cover.
    A room full of short, thin, ghosts. Veeerrryyyy Scaaaarrrreeeyyyyyy! ! ! ! ! OO OO OOOhhhhhhh! ! ! !! !

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    No. My music room has become the repository of ugly/mismatched terry towels.
    Rather than constantly casing my instruments, I've taken to throwing a towel over the strings, as a dust cover.
    A room full of short, thin, ghosts. Veeerrryyyy Scaaaarrrreeeyyyyyy! ! ! ! ! OO OO OOOhhhhhhh! ! ! !! !
    Looks nice and clean. Just out of curiosity, are you going to try to salvage any of the binding from the removed portion to cover the end? I don't know that I'd personally go to that trouble for a 199 dollar mandolin, but could be fun to tinker with...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

I had considered doing the same with my MK, but since I decided to install a pick guard which is at the same height as the top of the florida scoop, I decided to leave the florida and learn to pick higher -- which is an education that I'm still working on.

If I had cut it off, I probably would have cut the florida off just after fret 20 like my F9 is. I had thought about then cannibalizing some of the cut-off section's full-width binding to mend the end. Maybe. Or maybe not.

I did expect that since I had only paid $199 for mine, I wouldn't mind leaving it a little more "rustic". This hasn't happened so far. Me thinks I like my MK too much.

Btw, one of the differences I saw among the 4 MKs that I handled was different treatment of the florida scoop. One was barely scooped at all, only about a 1/16" drop with a straight downward cut. Two of them were more deeply scooped, but not with a curve cut, but an angle cut. Mine, the first one I received, is the only one that had a deep scoop with a nice curved scoop cut.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

12. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Y'know, I'm usually the one not wanting to chop off the proverbial dog's tail an inch at a time. But honestly, I didn't even think about it. Now I'm thinking, what if Thile wants this thing? He'll want those bonus frets.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Mine, the first one I received, is the only one that had a deep scoop with a nice curved scoop cut.
    This one was well executed as well. But alas, it had to depart.

Binding restoration had not occurred to me. Had this been in another class I may have taken it to a Luthier. Why is that? As it is, better is the enemy of good enough.

If there were twenty of these units sold because of a forum thread. And say, ten were de-floridated. There's every reason to believe there'd be ten different approaches. That's what makes it interesting.

Splorted! Thank you Jeff for the Christmas present of my new favorite word.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Our Family Cat defended his territory vigorously, over the years The Vet had to amputate
    a little more Tail,
    as battle wounds got infected.. Dogs would cross the street, staying out of the conflict zone,
    after a time..

You still have a couple frets to go, before the Sam Bush like editing is reached..
    then a bit of binding can tidy up the edge..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Is a Florida really that much of a hindrance? My F mando doesn't have one, but I pick pretty much parallel to the instrument's top and can't envision my pick hitting something below the strings.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Busman For This Useful Post:

For those of you that are familiar with my take on those so-called "extra frets", I will mercifully make no comment on this other than I hope the OP is very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    For those of you that are familiar with my take on those so-called "extra frets", I will mercifully make no comment on this other than I hope the OP is very happy.
    So I shouldn't do it on the Calace then?
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

21. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

It looks good. I glued a piece of the left over binding on the end of mine.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I suck enough and am old enough that I went with a saw rather than days & months of resetting my technique.

Those are "Bonus frets!"
    Good chance they would need dressing to actually be functional.
    I surely don't mess with them. That's the rosin zone to me.

Barely needed retuning after. I should A/B this with my Eastman for a vid.
    It really is a fine little rig, at any price.

24. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

I think I'll end up scooping my MKs Florida a little at a time untill I get the same result.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I guess this operation might become a standard part of "setup". Builders might consider providing a removable Florida that doubles as electronic tuner when turned out of aligned position.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

27. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I guess this operation might become a standard part of "setup". Builders might consider providing a removable Florida that doubles as electronic tuner when turned out of aligned position.
    At a workshop years ago, Radim Zenkl had a custom-made mandolin with a detachable fretboard extension which he would use only on the tunes that needed the high frets. It also had a fairly wide fretboard which facilitated his countrapuntal classical techniques.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    So I shouldn't do it on the Calace then?
    Not around me!

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    At a workshop years ago, Radim Zenkl had a custom-made mandolin with a detachable fretboard extension which he would use only on the tunes that needed the high frets. It also had a fairly wide fretboard which facilitated his countrapuntal classical techniques.
    that sounds like Radim!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Is a Florida really that much of a hindrance? My F mando doesn't have one, but I pick pretty much parallel to the instrument's top and can't envision my pick hitting something below the strings.
    Oh, man, I'd be getting tangled up in that thing all the time. Sold myelectrified Fender because my pick was always clicking on the pickup.