Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's your favourite CBOM player???

Default Re: Who's your favourite CBOM player???

That is a lovely video Nic, and I had to get their new CD "Bluebells Are Blooming" from Custy's immediately. Highly recommended, especially their interpretation of "The Hills of New Zealand" by Joanie Madden. Come to think of it, I think it was you that first mentioned Eoin O'Neill to me, and I now have several albums he's played on. Absolutely irreproachable playing IMO. Makes you feel the bouzouki has been in the tradition forever.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

I don't really know many CBOM players, but the main context in which I hear such instruments is in the music of Show of Hands. I love what Steve Knightley does with the Mandocello as an accompaniment instrument, though I don't know if it is a typical use of the mandocello...? Anyway, it was my introduction. I fell in love with the David Oddy instrument - aesthetically perfect in my eyes, and would love to play one (or just hold one!). This is what led me on to bouzouki, as it was the only similar option available to me, and the luthier I use (in Germany) is also a bouzouki builder, and very persuasive.
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Ruben Bada from Asturias in Spain is a very tasty player

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinhardt For This Useful Post:

derbexDougC 

We should not forget Tom MCDonagh's bouzouki in Oisin. Remarkable clean player both in melody and counterpoint.

Here is the link to the album on Youtube:

Nic Gellie

6. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I am proud to be the first one to mention Jamie McMenemy. And slightly shocked he is not mentioned yet.

Here's one reason . The accompaniment that starts at 1:32 still blows me away, and if you look at Gilles face (the gtr player) he is also impressed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j1kHJnJZ9A

Here is another. This is the song that made me want to play bouzouki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhnjCvS2Js

And finally another classic. This one will stick with me forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNHBz5svKig

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dcottrell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I've loved this band for a long time. Hard to not include them whenever a chance arises.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

A wee bit more of the wonderful Alec Finn!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim N View Post
    I don't really know many CBOM players, but the main context in which I hear such instruments is in the music of Show of Hands. I love what Steve Knightley does with the Mandocello as an accompaniment instrument, though I don't know if it is a typical use of the mandocello...? Anyway, it was my introduction. I fell in love with the David Oddy instrument - aesthetically perfect in my eyes, and would love to play one (or just hold one!). This is what led me on to bouzouki, as it was the only similar option available to me, and the luthier I use (in Germany) is also a bouzouki builder, and very persuasive.
    He doesn't play it in cello tuning ... it's in octave mando tuning - possibly sometimes dropping to GDAD (that's how it sounds on some of his tunes certainly). It's the perfect combo really - Phil does the flashy stuff, Steve does the accompaniment. That's not to say Steve isn't a decent player... but he recognises his strength is in writing & singing.

Edit: for reasons I still can't recall, I'm facebook mates with SK's sister... lovely lady
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Gerald Trimble introduced me to the cittern with First Flight. Joseph Sobol has developed a finger style approach to the cittern that I like. Sarah Jarosz does nice work on octave and accompanies her singing. Andy Irvine as well. Gotta like Donal.