Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Planxty compilation CD/DVD

Default Re: New Planxty compilation CD/DVD

My God, the technique on that woman! Bowing and pizzicato at the same time, AND an amazing voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    James plays in a lovely duo with English Fiddler/Singer Nancy Kerr.

https://youtu.be/2RvwoDmt8jQ
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

My wife ordered it for me for Christmas. Showed up today in a cardboard mailer, Amazon UK.

Thanks to Martin for bringing this to my attention.

I had seen it but just assumed it was a compilation and, having most of the albums, I ignored it. Didn't realise the DVD was included and it contains some great stuff! I realise that most (possibly all?) of it is on YouTube but at this price it seems wrong not to buy it and I'll treat the compilation as something nice for the car.

Nice to see the many zouks on display - Donal's playing what I assume is the mighty "blarge" for a lot of the later stuff.

Not all of the video is on YouTube, though I suspect someone will put it up sooner or later.

That's right, a lot of it is not on Youtube, and most of it is pretty low-res compared to the DVD. Some of it will inevitably disappear as people close their accounts, too.

Well worth the small investment for a lifetime of live Planxty joy.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Dave Bagdade, who broadcasts the Kitchen Party Ceilidh radio show from Indianapolis, did two shows featuring this compilation Nov 25 and Dec 9). They're available on his website, http://www.kpc-radio.com/podcasts/.
    Last edited by Shawn Collins; Dec-31-2016 at 5:20pm. Reason: Duplicate URL

Buy it for the quality and to remunerate the musicians who made it happen in the first place! Please buy musician's recordings and videos! That's how we make a living! And this is a wonderful collection! Fabulous playing!

8. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

I've just noticed a new Youtube upload, of a one-hour Planxty documentary from 2003:

Martin

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Fantastic, thanks Martin! I've had a low-resolution version of this video for years, it's GREAT to see someone post it to Youtube. BTW the man who produced the show is Leagues O'Toole, who wrote "The Humours of Planxty" book.

Hi Mike, If I'm not mistaken, I believe the band's participation in this documentary and the subsequent great response to it here in Ireland was one of the major factors in them taking the decision to reform in 2004. I attended one of the gigs in Vicar Street in 2004 and it was almost like a religious experience!!! The venue was packed to the rafters and the audience, most of whom were 40's plus waited like a bunch of schoolgirls for the latest boy band sensation to arrive. The gig was fanbloodytastic!!!!

I heard that the band members were ecstatic at the reaction they got to their reunion and they were particularly pleased that this was the first time that some of their children had seen them live. I was always a bit disappointed that they never involved former band mates Johnny Moynihan or Paul Brady in some way, even for a song or 2 as they played their own part in the Planxty legend.

Speaking of legend, the original line up on the Andy Irvine/Paul Brady album (the purple one) are doing a series of gigs in May/June in Ireland . Andy and Paul will be joined by the maestro himself Donal Lunny and Fiddler Kevin Burke to recreate the fireworks of what has to be one of the classic albums of the 70s. I've got me tickets!!! Cant wait.

John

Hi John, heard about the Brady/Irvine reunion tour. All I can say is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	envy-meter.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	153322

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Hi Mike, If I'm not mistaken, I believe the band's participation in this documentary and the subsequent great response to it here in Ireland was one of the major factors in them taking the decision to reform in 2004. I attended one of the gigs in Vicar Street in 2004 and it was almost like a religious experience!!! The venue was packed to the rafters and the audience, most of whom were 40's plus waited like a bunch of schoolgirls for the latest boy band sensation to arrive. The gig was fanbloodytastic!!!!

I heard that the band members were ecstatic at the reaction they got to their reunion and they were particularly pleased that this was the first time that some of their children had seen them live. I was always a bit disappointed that they never involved former band mates Johnny Moynihan or Paul Brady in some way, even for a song or 2 as they played their own part in the Planxty legend.

Speaking of legend, the original line up on the Andy Irvine/Paul Brady album (the purple one) are doing a series of gigs in May/June in Ireland . Andy and Paul will be joined by the maestro himself Donal Lunny and Fiddler Kevin Burke to recreate the fireworks of what has to be one of the classic albums of the 70s. I've got me tickets!!! Cant wait.

John

Yep, that hits the mark!!! should be a great gig.Is envy one of the 7 deadly sins?? If not it should be...

They never disappoint. i wore out 2 vinyl copies of that album and my cd copy is gettin a bit ropey now. If only the bothy band would reform!!!, but that's for another thread,, and who could replace the irreplaceable Micheal O'Domhnaill??? A huge influence on Trad guitar players. Simple but brilliant!! ( and difficult to copy by the way!!).

John