Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How High Do You Play

Default Re: How High Do You Play

For me it is the lack of flexibility in my left hand and wrist. When I barre a guitar I actually rest my chin on the body.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I actually had to get out my mandolin and check where I held it. Then I grabbed my tenor ukulele just to check that too. Apparently I tend to like my right forearm about parallel with the floor and my left hand just below shoulder height.

I like high these days. I have short arms and long back. Not noticeably to others, but definitely to me.

If I hold the mando low, I end up hunching which results in back pain too. It also limits your flexibility of playing.

I use a strap too, for the same reasons.

It really depends on your physiology. The guitar heroes with low-slung axes all seemed to be lean and long-limbed.
    Bren

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

We get tested at work regularly so I can't.
    do good things

.....I'll take the 5th.

Lot of the earlier players held the mando way up high during breaks because they were playing into the vocal microphone.
    Last edited by jesserules; Dec-06-2016 at 6:54pm.

7. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Many years ago I played my martin backpacker on the observation deck of the empire state building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire NYC.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	151941  

9. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

I also play guitar & bass--and with them I play them a little lower than where they would be when I am sitting--but for mandolin I play it a little higher than where it is if I am sitting--I think that has something to do with the size of the mandolin as compared to a guitar or bass.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Wouldn't the length of your arms have something to do with it? or if you have to hold it above or below middle-aged spread (ahem ahem) or a woman's differently-configured torso?

Anyway, since I sit down, I hold my mandolin in my lap, so the question becomes moot.
    For what its worth, I think keeping the center of the mandolin around the sternum area as others have mentioned seems to put it in a place where you can change the angle of the neck easily based on what you're doing with the instrument (i.e.- when I tremelo I tend to raise the angle of the neck up a bit which gives me the angle on the strings I like to have with my pick). When I chop I reduce the angle a bit, or level the instrument out a bit. I believe those (Ronnie McCoury, Wakefield, Monroe as examples) who you see in photos with the mando way up high may also be due to habit/necessity because they were often huddled around a condensor mic w/ the other band members and its a convenient way to step in and out of the circle when approaching the mic.

I am not an expert but I play a lot and I believe wherever you hold the mandolin (within reason) is fine but you should experiment with different angles of the string to the pick just as we experiment with different picks, grips, strings, etc. to find ways of improving our tone. A quarter note line on a single string may call for the mandolin to be held slightly different than if you're tremelo-ing a double stop, or chopping while singing.

space, the other musicians on stage, placement of mic and desired tone all contribute to the differences in the position of the mandolin for me.