Thread: Tad 3r 60

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Tad 3r 60

I have never been able to bond with this pick. Did I buy the wrong one? Knowing that Blue Chips have a great number of admirers, I sometimes question my reluctance to spend another $35.00 for a different model to only acquire one more disappointing experience. I do go back to this pick on occasion to check my resolve, but after a few minutes end up setting it down.

So, tell me, did I just make a poor choice among the many models Blue Chip sells?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Tad 3r 60

The different styles of picks exist for a reason! Different players prefer different shapes, different sizes, different thicknesses, different bevels, and so on. So, there's no such thing as buying a "wrong one." There is only such a thing as buying the wrong one for you. And none of us here can tell what's best for you: you have to determine this for yourself, by trying out the different styles. And different brands. It's possible that you're in the (ever-diminishing!) group that doesn't seem to like Blue Chips. But it's also possible that you just haven't yet identified the right size, shape, thickness, bevel, and material that best suits your playing. You've only tried one BC pick, for goodness' sakes.

You will certainly not have to invest another $35 to get a different pick, though. You can very easily sell your current pick on the MC for most of what you paid for it (say, $25), and use that money towards buying one of a different style. Or, if you only recently bought your pick, Blue Chip will often agree to just trade it out for you: their customer service is legendary. Or trade with someone on the MC.

Most us us continue to explore new and different pick styles throughout our playing lifetimes, in fact. This is not unusual, and some mandolinists change their preferred pick every few years or so. This is normal.

Face it: picks -- even the high-end ones, like Blue Chips -- are dirt cheap compared to mandolins, so please stop worrying about the cost and start trying new things out! Think of it as a musical adventure, and one that may never end. Making better music is a journey, not a destination.

3. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I guess the answer would depend on what it is you don't like about it. Is it the shape, thickness, tone?
    They make all sorts of shapes and thicknesses and a lot of folks tend to try out several before they find their favorite.
    The pick you have is the first BC I got and I used it for quite a while. I also had a TAD50-1R for use on the guitar.

I used a CT55 for a while after that and then recently have switched to a KS60. Those are 2 totally different shapes and take some adjusting to switch between.

There are often ads in the Classifieds section here with folks looking to trade for different shapes so give that a look or post one yourself if you want to try a different one out. Good luck.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I have a TAD60-1R that's my main mando pick, but I don't particularly like that one round corner on it. I do like the round corners on my TPR45, which I also use fairly often and also use it for guitar.

I bought the TAD60-1R without any prior experience with Blue Chip, and it remains the only BC pick i own. I was originally going to go for the CT55 but changed to the TAD60-1R so i could try the different corner options on one $35 pick. I never use the rounded corner on it because i find it creates too much pick noise for my liking, though i love the other two corners and it is my favourite pick. It is a shame you have not found the 3R to your liking, but as sblock said, BC will probably let you exchange it if you notify them.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I am offering it up in the Cafe classifieds. Upon sale I will try another model that may produce less pick noise and a clearer tone.
    Kentucky KM-950

I started with the 60 then 50 then 35. I didn't like how they muted my G string. The 35 is much better, and if you have a bright sounding mandolin the 60 would be a good choice. I love the way they slide off the string, but not using a TF100 Wegen. I still like the feel of the BC,but the sound is a little brighter on my G, the rest of the strings are very similar with either pick, just mutes the G and I don't like it. Mind has a deeper sound so that may be the difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Looks like you already listed it for $25. I have always been able to sell them for $30 and I provide free shipping. I just put them in an envelope with a regular stamp. I do lose about a buck through Paypal fees, so when I sell them for $30 I'm really getting about $28 ($30 minus paypal fees and the cost of a stamp and envelop).
    Last edited by Stevo75; Nov-04-2016 at 3:36pm.

I would hope that you'd give another one a try. Look for used ones on the classifieds if you feel reluctant to order a brand new one. Though it's worth pointing out that BC has a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

I've gone through a number of different BC picks and have always find that different mandolins seems to sound better with different picks, Blue Chips or not. So while I love the way a TAD50 sounds on my Pava, I find that a different pick may bring out a little something more on a Northfield, for example.

Lastly, if you haven't already - check out Primetone picks by Dunlop. They are amazingly similar to the Blue Chips at a fraction of the cost. My current favorite of the Primetones so far is the 1.4mm Big Triangle pick (shaped like the BC) with printed logos on the pick (ie. without the texture grip).

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    I would hope that you'd give another one a try. Look for used ones on the classifieds if you feel reluctant to order a brand new one. Though it's worth pointing out that BC has a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

I've gone through a number of different BC picks and have always find that different mandolins seems to sound better with different picks, Blue Chips or not. So while I love the way a TAD50 sounds on my Pava, I find that a different pick may bring out a little something more on a Northfield, for example.

Lastly, if you haven't already - check out Primetone picks by Dunlop. They are amazingly similar to the Blue Chips at a fraction of the cost. My current favorite of the Primetones so far is the 1.4mm Big Triangle pick (shaped like the BC) with printed logos on the pick (ie. without the texture grip).
    Primetones are my current pick of choice
    Kentucky KM-950

12. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I like Dawg II picks , if they were that shape , in the Costly BC plastic I'd be OK with It.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I like Dawg II picks , if they were that shape , in the Costly BC plastic I'd be OK with It.
    Have you tried the BlueChip "SR" and "TPR" shapes? These have much more rounded picking corners, like Dawg picks, and you can order them without a bevel, like Dawg picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Have you tried the BlueChip "SR" and "TPR" shapes? These have much more rounded picking corners, like Dawg picks, and you can order them without a bevel, like Dawg picks.
    Actually, the XR pick is exactly the same size and shape as the current Dawg pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

16. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

sblock 

Bill - The Primetone picks are terrific picks. I'd class them as ''as good as but different'' than the Blue Chips. Some folk on here prefer them to the BC's - on 'their' mandolins with 'their' string choice,& that's about as much as you can say about which pick is ''better''. In fact there's no ''better or worse'',simply that one combo. will be ''more pleasing'' to one person than another combo. - just as it should be.

The only way that any of us could determine which pick of 'any make' sounds 'most pleasing to us',would be to try every one out,& for the vast majority of us,that's simply not possible,so we make an educated guess as to which will be ok for us. It could very well be that some BC users,if they could try 'em all out,might find an even more pleasing one,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Please be aware, they offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy. No need to take a loss other than shipping costs.

Anyone should be able to tell in 30 days if they like a pick.

I too bought a TAD 1R 60. I don't like the rounded tip. No problem, just use the others. I tried what a store said was the most popular Wegan mando pick. It had rounded tips too and I never liked that one either.

Hey Bill, you can try out a CT55 (and lots of other picks) by getting on the list for one of the two pick samplers: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...erested/page19

BTW, I too prefer my Primetone even after the sampler but still plan on trying out some of the other BC picks to see if one jumps out at me. That's why I bought your TAD3R 60.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

20. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Most of these post sound like a salesman for blue chip picks, either that or you are breaking posting rules and this is your religion. Come on folks it's just a pick and if the OP doesn't like them he doesn't like them and HD should move on to something he does like just my opinion.