Thread: Shiro Hora - Klezmer

Default Shiro Hora - Klezmer

I'm learning this tune right now, and wondered if folks more familiar with Klezmer could help me out. I know how it sounds, etc. from the track included on this page, but can't seem to find any recordings or performances of it on YouTube, etc. I like to listen to different takes on songs when I'm learning them. Does anyone know of any albums this tune is on, or maybe if it goes by different names?

https://www.8notes.com/scores/19030.asp?ftype=gif

I just noticed I spelled the name wrong, should be Shiroh Hora

Default Re: Shiro Hora - Klezmer

Oddly, that one I have not heard. It looks like a regular zhok or Romanian hora, though.

Heavy accent on the One two three One two three etc.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

I learned that Philip deWalt is a composer from Kansas City. The sheet music says arranged by him but he may of written the tune. I also have not heard this one which makes me think it is composed.

Shiroh may be of Japanese origins. There is a Japanese rock opera by that name.

I think this is his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/philip.dewalt.1
    Nice tune in any case. Thanks for sharing this.
    Last edited by DougC; Dec-08-2016 at 7:12pm.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Blog Entries

There is a tune called Shiro (spelled this way in the thread title) in the Jewish Fake Book on pg. 14. But it is a freylekhs in D freygish which has a different rhythm. And it does not sound klezmer like. It is nothing like this tune, a zhok.

So....I do like that tune website. www.8notes.com It plays the tune and you can watch the sheetmusic, and you can download pdf files and learn things on their theory page. Very nice.

BTW Shiro is an Ethiopian chick pea dish served on injera bread. It's really good.
    Last edited by DougC; Dec-08-2016 at 8:47pm. Reason: Can't stop researching this thing . Help!
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I'm the guy who did that arrangement. Glad you like it.

I found the original in ABC format from the trillians server: http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Klezmer/

According to the file the origin is from Sid Beckerman/Howie Lees and it's from a collection titled "Klezmer Plus." DavidKOS is correct, it's a Zhok.

I did quite a few mandolin arrangements for 8notes but David Bruce pulled me off of them for lack of interest by members - I principally do guitar / orchestra and wind band arrangements for him now. If you like the mandolin stuff and want more let him know. Bruce is pretty responsive to member requests.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aardman For This Useful Post: