Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip nut

Default Re: Blue Chip nut

Whatever they would cost,the BC nut would never ever be worth it, despite the hundreds of rave reviews.

OK, let me see. Normal pick costs about $0.35, Blue Chip costs $35. Normal nut costs about $60, fitted and setup. So I should be able to charge $6,000 for a polyimide nut, and the materials will cost me less than $100. Sounds like I am open for business. Come 'n' get it!

Actually, I think I will do one of these on my next mandolin, just to be ridiculous.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Actually, I think I will do one of these on my next mandolin, just to be ridiculous.
    Marty, correct me if I am wrong, but if you are using a zero fret, the zero fret (metal) is the actual nut that the open strings ring off of, right? And the nut really just serves as a string spacing device, so the material should be of little importance, correct?

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

From Marty Jacobson - " Normal nut costs about $60,...". Hell fire, you say !!!. What type of material is that Marty ?. It's one dickens of a price !. I can buy a bone nut blank for £3.50 UK ($4.30 US). I assume that yours must be Micarta / Tusq or similar ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Marty Jacobson - " Normal nut costs about $60,...". Hell fire, you say !!!. What type of material is that Marty ?. It's one dickens of a price !. I can buy a bone nut blank for £3.50 UK ($4.30 US). I assume that yours must be Micarta / Tusq or similar ?
    You omitted the portion of Marty's post that read "fitted and setup," which probably accounts for the price difference.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

8. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

After the nut from BC (only really uncool people use 8 letters when 2 do nicely) gains must-have status, I look forward to the sound of generalised anguish and tearing out of hair when Chris Thile is spotted using a new nut made from Wegen plectrum material.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Yet another approach to changing the player's perception so he can endure his own playing.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Marty, correct me if I am wrong, but if you are using a zero fret, the zero fret (metal) is the actual nut that the open strings ring off of, right? And the nut really just serves as a string spacing device, so the material should be of little importance, correct?
    Hence why it's so ridiculous. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver A. View Post
    I'm crazy about these.

Now all we need is some Blue Chip Dip and we're all set.

13. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

From pheffernan - "You omitted the portion of Marty's post that read "fitted and setup," which probably accounts for the price difference. " . Yep !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I've only played one Blue Chip, from the pick tour. My recollection is that it had a certain small amount of "give" to the surface when tested with my fingernail. It didn't totally resist nail pressure like, say glass or even some pick materials like the Dunlop Primetones.
    If that's correct, wouldn't that transmit less vibration from the strings to the neck?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.