Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthritis

Blog Entries
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Default Re: Arthritis

Quote Originally Posted by Nbayrfr View Post
    Turmeric with black pepper work for me. I have arthritis at the base of my left thumb.
    Stopped playing certain songs and chords about 10 years ago. I've been using turmeric mixed with black pepper for 3 years. I can now play those songs and chords as much as I want. Takes about 3 to 6 weeks for full benefit. It's well documented, cheap and in my and some close aquaintances experience, very effective.
    Do you mix it in powder form and take it like that. I have heard turmeric is good for arthritis, but can't cook every day with it, and hard to get enough. Had not heard of the black pepper.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Do you mix it in powder form and take it like that. I have heard turmeric is good for arthritis, but can't cook every day with it, and hard to get enough. Had not heard of the black pepper.
    The black pepper increases the bioavailability or the turmeric by around 2000%. You can buy this at Costco, but I think it's expensive. From what I've read you just need to spice your food, daily with it. My wife gets empty capsules from Amazon and fills them with it. You have to buy a $20.00 machine to do this. As for myself, while holding my breath I just put 3/4 teaspoon of it on the front of my tongue and gulp it down with water. You can buy the turmeric at Indian grocery stores, cheap.

Blog Entries

I would be pretty uncomfortable with people prescribing treatments for any ailment using unproven methods. (The main studies of this particular one do not deal with arthritis) Not because they may or may not work, rather in this case because it is the presence of curcumin an its potential as an anti-infamatory agent that is sought. if you look at the existing research it is very patchy, with some evidence of usefulness topically in treating certain skin ailments, but as yet it remains unknown. If it is effective, the evidence there is also indicates possible links to the following side effects;

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...tName=TURMERIC

When ingested Pregnancy and breast-feeding: During pregnancy and while breast-feeding, turmeric is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth in amounts commonly found in food. However, turmeric is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts during pregnancy. It might promote a menstrual period or stimulate the uterus, putting the pregnancy at risk. Do not take medicinal amounts of turmeric if you are pregnant. There is not enough information to rate the safety of medicinal amounts of turmeric during breast-feeding. It is best not to use it.

Gallbladder problems: Turmeric can make gallbladder problems worse. Do not use turmeric if you have gallstones or a bile duct obstruction.

Bleeding problems: Taking turmeric might slow blood clotting. This might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.

Diabetes: Curcumin, a chemical in turmeric, might decrease blood sugar in people with diabetes. Use with caution in people with diabetes as it might make blood sugar too low.

A stomach disorder called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Turmeric can cause stomach upset in some people. It might make stomach problems such as GERD worse. Do not take turmeric if it worsens symptoms of GERD.

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Turmeric contains a chemical called curcumin, which might act like the hormone estrogen. In theory, turmeric might make hormone-sensitive conditions worse. However, some research shows that turmeric reduces the effects of estrogen in some hormone-sensitive cancer cells. Therefore, turmeric might have beneficial effects on hormone-sensitive conditions. Until more is known, use cautiously if you have a condition that might be made worse by exposure to hormones.

Infertility: Turmeric might lower testosterone levels and decrease ##### movement when taken by mouth by men. This might reduce fertility. Turmeric should be used cautiously by people trying to have a baby.

Iron deficiency: Taking high amounts of turmeric might prevent the absorption of iron. Turmeric should be used with caution in people with iron deficiency.

Surgery: Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

As a general principle I would caution people against recommending medicines which have not got regulatory approval or a doctors analisys of the patients situation as any potential effects could just as likely be detrimental as helpful in the presence of other treatments orunderlying medical conditions.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have osteoarthritis in my finger and thumb joints which can flare up on occasions. I personally find that playing regularly helps me maintain mobility although, on guitar, I've had to modify some chording. Mandolin is less of a problem for me and the arthritis tends to make me concentrate more on expression than acrobatics. Closed chords could be a problem but, there again, I play relatively little bluegrass.

Just as an aside to what Eoin posted,recently it's been discovered that many ''herbal remedies'' sold via health shops in the UK actually contain NONE of the herb that's supposed to be the basis of the remedy. The huge majority of 'herbal remedies' are sold on the basis of nothing more than 'hearsay & folk lore',with little or no medical evidence to back them up. However - that doesn't mean that some don't work to a degree.
    I remember one well known UK comedian saying that when he was a child,his mother used to smear his chest with mustard if he had a cold,& his friends used to rub their ham sandwiches on it -so beware !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Well I don't want to divert what could be a useful thread with toing and froing over whether stuff works or not. That's not really the purpose of the forum. However while exercises, or ointments that have been analysed & approved will likely only have the effects listed on their certificates of approval, we just don't know with anything not yet studied properly. I would recommend we steer clear of recommending anything ingested whether approved or not as we just are not in a position to judge the likely effects on recipients of our recommendations. Well meaning medicinal advice has really too much potential to cause inadvertent harm, and really doesn't belong on a mandolin forum.

My view would be that on anything like this we should stick to exercises etc and over the counter ointments that have approval & proper info provided. But prescriptions for ingestion are not reall a good idea.
    Eoin

Registered User misterstormalong's Avatar

Saw the doc who, as expected, diagnosed my condition as osteoarthritis. It is unlikely to progress rapidly, and he recommended Glucosamine, fish oil, movement and anti-inflammatories. He saw no problem in rigorous mandolin playing styles. While I would like to be forty years younger, I take this as relatively good news, at least for my continued playing.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience, and particularly for persuading me to seek proper medical advice.

Rik

10. The following members say thank you to misterstormalong for this post:

I have a friend who swears by.....
    Six stalks of celery every day!
    Frankly it makes me want to.....well, suffice to say "Not do it!"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

It's amazing really when you think of it,but our bodies respond in a similar way to 'moving mechanical parts' in response to a good 'oiling'. Vegetable oils,especially Olive oil is good for our health & fish oils are pretty much the same. What's become know to us as ''The Mediterranean Diet'' ,lots of veggies,Olive & Fish oils is supposed to be one of the very healthiest diets around. Maybe my passion for Olives has helped stave off arthritis ?. Fortunate in another way as well,as i'm highly allergic to the majority of anti-inflamatories & pain killers.

From Rik - "While I would like to be forty years younger,..." Me too Rik - at least both my mind & body would be the same age. I have a youngish outlook on life (tempered with experience),but my body sees things from quite another viewpoint
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hey Rik,
    Another alternative not yet mentioned is TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) which compromises acupuncture, herbs & massage. I was diagnosed with a different form of arthritis many years ago, and at the time the only Western solutions were steroidial anti-inflammatories. Even though I was young, I knew enough that I didn't want to be taking those for the rest of my life. I stumbled on TCM in the 80s, and for me, it made sense. Along with moderation (only partly successful , it helps me a lot.

My ex-doctor in New York (only ex because I moved) wrote a book on TCM for sports injuries. It's also applicable to dancers and musicians, who were a big portion of his clientele. It comprises excersize, Chinese herbal remedies, diet and more. It's called "A Tooth Form the Tiger's Mouth" (NFI), and again, may or may not be your thing. For me, his approach works and has kept me well.

Best of luck finding relief!!

[QUOTE=Ivan Kelsall;1530993]"It's amazing really when you think of it,but our bodies respond in a similar way to 'moving mechanical parts' in response to a good 'oiling'. Vegetable oils,especially Olive oil is good for our health & fish oils..."

Based on what evidence? Contact me by PM, please, with any supporting data so as not to derail this important thread.

Here's a link to a very informative video on arthritis. There appears to be a direct correlation between what we put in our mouths and arthritis. It takes awhile in the video for Dr. McDougall to get to the "meat" of the issue but the topic and cure is eye opening. I know folks that have reversed their arthralgia by taking the advice of this video.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...ory-arthritis/

Hope you find it of interest. It's worth the time to watch...

Cheers.
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Nov-03-2016 at 4:33pm.