Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

I see the wonderful Loars that are posted in the Classifieds. There are a few others out there at other stores as well.

8 years ago a quarter of a million was the asking price on some. From there the asking price has declined.

One never knows what the "real" sale price is. (Assuming that they are exchanging hands)

So what should I be putting away in my piggy bank for that one last purchase before I die?

Default Re: So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

My advice, based on years of "horse trading" is that it is a BUYER'S market right now. By that I mean buy like a dealer would for resale and get your "profit" on the front end by negotiating (nice word for it!) down from the asking price. KEEP IN MIND most stores do not own these instruments, they are on consignment and the actual owners will get MUCH LESS than the asking price. That said, a signed Loar will always be a blue chip investment and something you can enjoy while retaining its value (and hopefully go up in value -- if you buy right)

A4 or F5, F4?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Blog Entries

Well apparently the F5 MM price went up from $200 to $250 in 1923 which as a bit of a laugh could be compounded x 93years of 25% price increases giving $257,377,879,473.40 today. I say it's a snip at todays prices
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

There are no Loar-signed A4 or F4 Gibson mandolins. A4 and F4 from that period generally sell for above non-Loar period instruments, but not significantly so - except for the Snakehead A4 or the A2Z - and still nowhere near the F5.

7. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    I see the wonderful Loars that are posted in the Classifieds. There are a few others out there at other stores as well.

8 years ago a quarter of a million was the asking price on some. From there the asking price has declined.

One never knows what the "real" sale price is. (Assuming that they are exchanging hands)

So what should I be putting away in my piggy bank for that one last purchase before I die?
    Well there are about 15 Loar 5's for sale now at different places that I've found and a few Loar signed mandolas, also about 10 ferns,flowerpot,fluer-de-lis F-5's from post Loar up to 1942. I could write all of em down but it would take too long. Some have been sitting for well over 2-3 years now. They're not moving like they did when the price was up and everyone wanted one. Hence drive the price up. Shows state of economics lately? I personally think people would rather not spend that kind of $ on an instrument, there is a small club that will. Dealers of course get a fat percentage.
    I was offered a real nice late 1924 December Loar F-5 from a private seller with minor work done on it for 80G or so, He seemed serious. I don't have that kind of cash or I'd buy it. I think thats a deal. We all know that the price for anything is what we will pay for something if we want it bad enough. I'd pay 80G for one of the original Loar's no? no doubt. I may have got off the subject but keep watching em at the dealers, They aint going nowhere.

9. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    There are no Loar-signed A4 or F4 Gibson mandolins. A4 and F4 from that period generally sell for above non-Loar period instruments, but not significantly so - except for the Snakehead A4 or the A2Z - and still nowhere near the F5.
    Oooooh. Thanks. Didn't realize there weren't signed snakeheads.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

... and ONE Loar-signed A5.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

An an F4? or F2? with Lloyd's moniker on the inside of the truss rod cover if I remember correctly....

14. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Well there are about 15 Loar 5's for sale now at different places that I've found and a few Loar signed mandolas, also about 10 ferns,flowerpot,fluer-de-lis F-5's from post Loar up to 1942. I could write all of em down but it would take too long. Some have been sitting for well over 2-3 years now. They're not moving like they did when the price was up and everyone wanted one. Hence drive the price up. Shows state of economics lately? I personally think people would rather not spend that kind of $ on an instrument, there is a small club that will. Dealers of course get a fat percentage.
    I was offered a real nice late 1924 December Loar F-5 from a private seller with minor work done on it for 80G or so, He seemed serious. I don't have that kind of cash or I'd buy it. I think thats a deal. We all know that the price for anything is what we will pay for something if we want it bad enough. I'd pay 80G for one of the original Loar's no? no doubt. I may have got off the subject but keep watching em at the dealers, They aint going nowhere.
    Well Mr. Smith, you have hit the nail on the head with your reply. That's is what I am wondering. The real question is how much cash does it take to get one. (I curse the day that I sold mine 14 years ago)

If you have a lead on a loar F5 for 80 k... please pm me
    John D

There's six in The Classifieds and one of them is for $75,000. Maybe it was won in a game of poker?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/103163#103163

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    Sorry my friend, that info I think I'll keep to myself

Gary-There was an F-2 or 4 with L.L. on back side of truss rod cover, don't know if its the real deal from the man or someone else?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    There's six in The Classifieds and one of them is for $75,000. Maybe it was won in a game of poker?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/103163#103163
    Not that one I'm speaking about, the one I know of is almost all original not a "poker incident" like the one at Carters that should be for sale at about 25G not 75.

Well sell those other mandolins and get it!!!! Good for you!!!

Truss-rod covers with L.L. on the back could be a lucrative business...

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    That requires either a motivated seller or an uniformed seller. Since the internet there are now NO uninformed sellers, like there once was. However, people are still motivated from time to time to sell something for less than the "going rate" due to family emergency, job loss, divorce, medical expenses, foreclosure, etc........it does require the buyer to think like a "businessman" and not overpay even though your conscience says it is OK to overpay...........in the "real world" things that are "worth" $175K get sold everyday for $80K and the seller is happy, if not thankful, to get it. Most of us are sheltered somewhat from these realities, but it is something pawn shops see all the time. (not Loars, hard luck stories, that is....) I guess I have probably had way too much retail experience......

typo -- should be uninformed in both places, rather than uniformed unless, we are talking blue jeans -- the "uniform" of the non-conformist....

Blog Entries

Well sell those other mandolins and get it!!!! Good for you!!!
    Trust me Gary if I could I would, Not that I haven't tried selling, not many people buying, or at least buying what I'm selling I think I'm one of the few that love the F-7's-conversions! Something about em to me..I even lowered my 82 Gil F-5 from 17.5 to 16.5. I think thats fair for a Gil 5 maybe I'm wrong? My luck I'd get the $$$ and then the market would go up on em.
    also someone mentioned uninformed seller, Oh he's informed. Not the most pristine Loars out there but up there and I don't go in for cosmetics. "You should see and hear the beat up old gal I play, If I could figure out how to post a pix on hear I'd do it." should be the sound, thats my top priority, funny, I say that on all my posts

25. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Gary-There was an F-2 or 4 with L.L. on back side of truss rod cover, don't know if its the real deal from the man or someone else?[/QUOTE]

That would be Ken Walthams F2, which I had the pleasure of trying out, a real fine one. It sure is nice to think that Loar may have owned it at some point. But I wouldn't consider it a "Loar signed" mandolin.

27. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Gary-There was an F-2 or 4 with L.L. on back side of truss rod cover, don't know if its the real deal from the man or someone else?
    That would be Ken Walthams F2, which I had the pleasure of trying out, a real fine one. It sure is nice to think that Loar may have owned it at some point. But I wouldn't consider it a "Loar signed" mandolin.[/QUOTE]

That's the story I remember!! Forgot that it was Ken who came across it....In the world of Gibson in the 20's and especially the 30's odd things abound!! Why wouldn't Lloyd sign a truss rod cover and say "I have dibs on that one when it is done"?

Trust me Gary if I could I would, Not that I haven't tried selling, not many people buying, or at least buying what I'm selling I think I'm one of the few that love the F-7's-conversions! Something about em to me..I even lowered my 82 Gil F-5 from 17.5 to 16.5. I think thats fair for a Gil 5 maybe I'm wrong? My luck I'd get the $$$ and then the market would go up on em.
    also someone mentioned uninformed seller, Oh he's informed. Not the most pristine Loars out there but up there and I don't go in for cosmetics. "You should see and hear the beat up old gal I play, If I could figure out how to post a pix on hear I'd do it." should be the sound, thats my top priority, funny, I say that on all my posts
    You've got it!! Who cares about pristine on a 90 year old instrument unless you are a "collector" As long as they are structurally sound, having a good set up so they can be played and sound great, I don't care. There is a mojo with them. I think it was either Ken Waltham or Tom Isenhour that talks about "the smell of a Loar" . It exists. I am the same way with an old Martin. Warhorse guitars have "IT"......that mojo..

30. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Blog Entries

You've got it!! Who cares about pristine on a 90 year old instrument unless you are a "collector" As long as they are structurally sound, having a good set up so they can be played and sound great, I don't care. There is a mojo with them. I think it was either Ken Waltham or Tom Isenhour that talks about "the smell of a Loar" . It exists. I am the same way with an old Martin. Warhorse guitars have "IT"......that mojo..
    I know, I like really like em played in, Ahhhh I love the smell. Didn't Derrington make a Loar smell spray? Should've bottled it and sold it. I'd hose myself down in it.

...Ahhhh I love the smell. Didn't Derrington make a Loar smell spray? Should've bottled it and sold it. I'd hose myself down in it.
    A future cologne booth at IBMA........not.

33. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Too bad, no answer to the question, yet (unless we were really talking 80k, which I doubt in the case of Carter or Gruhn).