Thread: Suggestions for Newbie Books

Default Suggestions for Newbie Books

I'm looking at the options for classical mandolin books and thought maybe you can help. It has to be in pdf or ebook format and preferably pretty regimented ie planned as a system. I played violin as a kid so reading notes and doing scales for hours on end don't scare me. I want to learn technique and since I have to self learn, I need to make sure my first book won't get me going on the wrong foot. I'm looking at Bickford and the complete mandolinist. Are there any other books I should be aware of or you'd recommend and why? Oh and I don't speak Italian

2. The following members say thank you to Quotidianlight for this post:

Default Re: Suggestions for Newbie Books

Although not in an electronic format, the Calace method is translated into English and available at Elderly. I find it very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Heddinger View Post
    Although not in an electronic format, the Calace method is translated into English and available at Elderly. I find it very useful.
    Thanks, I may end up buying books and then having to scan them I'm afraid. I'm traveling long term and just can't afford book weight in my backpack.

Blog Entries

There are many very good method books for mandolin: http://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There are many very good method books for mandolin: http://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html
    There are so many it's actually a little overwhelming. I guess I'm looking for help narrowing them down to which ones are particularly well suited to the newbie.

Marilynn Mair's book would be a good bet and it is available from Melbay.com as an e-Book. Whoops! I see you have mentioned it above. That and/or Bickford would both be fine.

You might be aware of the fact that many of the standard classical mandolin methods are based on various violin etudes. Since you played violin as a kid you may be familiar with some of those and that includes the ones you mentioned already.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

If you want a technique book to go with the method book you could try the Mandolin Companion, I think Beanzy recommended it, lot of exercises in there and it's available as a PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Marilynn Mair's book would be a good bet and it is available from Melbay.com as an e-Book. Whoops! I see you have mentioned it above. That and/or Bickford would both be fine.

You might be aware of the fact that many of the standard classical mandolin methods are based on various violin etudes. Since you played violin as a kid you may be familiar with some of those and that includes the ones you mentioned already.
    I've been looking through the bickford and it looks great. Thanks. I think I'm almost ready for my baby to get here! I've pet Mair's book and exploring classical mandolin in my waitlist. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    If you want a technique book to go with the method book you could try the Mandolin Companion, I think Beanzy recommended it, lot of exercises in there and it's available as a PDF.
    How would you use it in combo with the technique books? I figured I would go through a method book mastering each technique before going on. That said, the tech books seem to go pretty fast, so would you use a companion book between lessons instead of doing the same exercise over and over.

I'd use it to hone skills and keep them up to scratch, the method books I have seen tend to be more studies to show you a technique and then move on to another one. I am working through the Ranieri method, some of which is available as a download, to me it seems to continually extend your technique but doesn't directly address ongoing maintenance and improvement of those already gained.

For instance, my string crossing can be a bit ropey, but there's nothing much to deal with that in the method book, but there are a set of exercises in the companion, with a little bit of advice around hand position and some speed recommendations.

As the intro says it's not a tutor book but aims to aid : 'further study and develop ideas and techniques they have already learnt from other sources.'

'Exploring Classical Mandolin' is similar, but August gives you much more explanation and discussion, which I like, more studies and less exercises.

Here's a review that puts it better.
    Last edited by derbex; Sep-28-2016 at 9:03am.

13. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I'd use it to hone skills and keep them up to scratch, the method books I have seen tend to be more studies to show you a technique and then move on to another one. I am working through the Ranieri method, some of which is available as a download, to me it seems to continually extend your technique but doesn't directly address ongoing maintenance and improvement of those already gained.
    That was really helpful, thank you.

Derbex: I wonder how that book compares to Mike Marshall's Finger Busters. It seems to be somewhat similar at least from the looks of the few images they post on that link. I have Mike's book but was wondering if Alison and Chris' book was similar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"Derbex: I wonder how that book compares to Mike Marshall's Finger Busters. It seems to be somewhat similar at least from the looks of the few images they post on that link. I have Mike's book but was wondering if Alison and Chris' book was similar.

Jim"

Hi Jim,

I have a review of the MC forthcoming in the CMSA Journal. There is no comparison with Mike's book; Alison and Chris' book is more comprehensive.
    Robert A. Margo

'Exploring Classical Mandolin' is similar, but August gives you much more explanation and discussion, which I like, more studies and less exercises.
    For a start I'd go with August Watters book.

http://www.augustwatters.net/

https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Cla.../dp/0876391625

Yes, you want to re-read your violin books and use the Calace, Ranieri, Munier and other methods too - but Watters' book is a great starting point and is a wonderful overview of the classical mandolin, well written and worth study.

The only reason I didn't recommend August's book was that I didn't think you could get it as an ebook, happy to be proved wrong though. I have both 'Exploring Classical Mandolin' and 'The Mandolin Companion' and think they are complimentary although where the time comes from to study both and a mandolin method I am not sure.

I haven't seem Mike Marshall's 'Finger Busters' book, so it's good to have Robert's comparison.

19. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post: