Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson A-40

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson A-40

He's still trying to sell that thing? It would show up in my CL search agent back when I had it set to search Portland when I was in the market going on two years ago. As F-2 Dave pointed out, asking about three times the realistic price. As a counter example, I ended up with an A-50 (photo album in my user profile) for $750. Good original finish, though checked, original pick guard in one piece, all other parts original, with a very rough original HSC. And an A-50 is all solid wood. But an A-50 was still a mid-range mandolin.

An A-40 is the cheap version of a mid-range mandolin. Serviceable instrument, but nothing special and hardly worth anything near his asking price. Also noted by others is that he can't keep the designation straight: A-40 or 50? He claims solid wood back (A-50). The binding would give it away if the PO hadn't refinished it. And those tuners? Pretty sure those aren't from the 50s (closed tuners were earlier, and didn't come back later, IIRC). Asking too much, and too many open questions. You could do better elsewhere.

Default Re: Gibson A-40

And those tuners? Pretty sure those aren't from the 50s (closed tuners were earlier, and didn't come back later, IIRC). Asking too much, and too many open questions. You could do better elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

My A-40 is from early 60's and has closed tuners.